Old 05-27-2008, 04:46 PM
James Pifer

Default OT: SSI with httpd

> > <Directory /var/www/html>
> > Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes
> > AllowOverride None
> > Order allow,deny
> > Allow from all
>
> AddHandler server-parsed .html
>
> </Directory>

Thanks, that was it.

James

Old 05-27-2008, 05:40 PM
Mike Wright

James Pifer wrote:

I'm trying to get server side includes working with httpd. I have this
in the conf file:

LoadModule include_module modules/mod_include.so

#
# This should be changed to whatever you set DocumentRoot to.
#
<Directory /var/www/html>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Includes
AllowOverride None
Order allow,deny
Allow from all

AddHandler server-parsed .html

</Directory>

I've restarted httpd and it restarts fine. When I try to add an SSI to a
page it doesn't work. If I look at the page source I can see the include
in the source, which I read means that the httpd server is not properly
setup for SSI.

Here's a simple page I'm trying:

<head>
<title>Welcome</title>
</head>
<!--#include FILE="include.inc" -->
This would be a Welcome page.

<!--#config timefmt="%A %B %d, %Y" -->
Today is<!--#echo var="DATE_LOCAL" -->

include.inc exists in the same directory as this file. Can anyone tell
me what I might be missing here?

Thanks,
James

Old 05-28-2008, 09:24 AM
Tim

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 10:40 -0700, Mike Wright wrote:
> AddHandler server-parsed .html

And now all HTML will be parsed to see if it has SSI in it. This can
add a heavy workload to the server. There's two better approaches:

Whenever you have a page with SSI, give the file a different suffix
(e.g. .shtml) and have the server parse just those files for SSI.

Whenever you have a page with SSI, set the X bits on the file, and use
the XbitHack (configuration option) to have the server parse just those
files for SSI.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, all using Gnome
in case that's important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.