Old 05-27-2008, 08:33 PM
John Horne

Default F9: evolution mail with URL

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 13:24 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> John Horne wrote:

> >> Are you sure its minimised and not just underneath Evolution?
> >>
> > Not sure what you mean by 'underneath'. How would I tell?
>
> Try minimizing Evolution and see if the web page is displayed. If so,
> then Firefox was open, but its screen was "under" the Evolution screen.

Ah, I've got you. Okay, yes the web page is underneath Evolution.
However, if I have no browsers open, and click on a URL in a message,
then firefox is on top of Evolution. If I click on the URL again, the
second (or more) browsers are underneath Evolution. So the first browser
appears on 'top', but all others are underneath. I'm not sure if it is
possible to tell firefox to always be on top, but even if it is is it
something that would always be wanted? (Probably yes, if you click on a
url then it is no doubt to see the web page?)

John.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:04 PM
"Andrew Parker"

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 4:33 PM, John Horne <john.horne@plymouth.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 13:24 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
>> John Horne wrote:

>> > Not sure what you mean by 'underneath'. How would I tell?
>>
>> Try minimizing Evolution and see if the web page is displayed. If so,
>> then Firefox was open, but its screen was "under" the Evolution screen.
>>
> Ah, I've got you. Okay, yes the web page is underneath Evolution.
> However, if I have no browsers open, and click on a URL in a message,
> then firefox is on top of Evolution. If I click on the URL again, the
> second (or more) browsers are underneath Evolution. So the first browser
> appears on 'top', but all others are underneath. I'm not sure if it is
> possible to tell firefox to always be on top, but even if it is is it
> something that would always be wanted? (Probably yes, if you click on a
> url then it is no doubt to see the web page?)

I don't think that this is a Firefox/Evolution problem. I *think*
this is a KDE feature designed to stop applications from stealing
focus. e.g. you're busy working away in one window and another window
wants focus. You'd get mighty irritated if that new (or existing)
window stole the focus and you ended up typing in the new window.
This is also potentially dangerous too.

You could prove this by, say, adding a "sleep 5" as the second line of
the firefox startup script. Then there would be 5 seconds between the
click and Firefox trying to steal focus. KDE should allow that. If
Firefox gets the focus then you can look for a config that would
change this behaviour (and obviously remove the 5 second delay)

Old 05-27-2008, 09:26 PM
John Horne

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 17:04 -0400, Andrew Parker wrote:
> On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 4:33 PM, John Horne <john.horne@plymouth.ac.uk> wrote:

> >> Try minimizing Evolution and see if the web page is displayed. If so,
> >> then Firefox was open, but its screen was "under" the Evolution screen.
> >>
> > Ah, I've got you. Okay, yes the web page is underneath Evolution.
> > However, if I have no browsers open, and click on a URL in a message,
> > then firefox is on top of Evolution. If I click on the URL again, the
> > second (or more) browsers are underneath Evolution. So the first browser
> > appears on 'top', but all others are underneath. I'm not sure if it is
> > possible to tell firefox to always be on top, but even if it is is it
> > something that would always be wanted? (Probably yes, if you click on a
> > url then it is no doubt to see the web page?)
>
> I don't think that this is a Firefox/Evolution problem. I *think*
> this is a KDE feature designed to stop applications from stealing
> focus. e.g. you're busy working away in one window and another window
> wants focus. You'd get mighty irritated if that new (or existing)
> window stole the focus and you ended up typing in the new window.
> This is also potentially dangerous too.
>
> You could prove this by, say, adding a "sleep 5" as the second line of
> the firefox startup script. Then there would be 5 seconds between the
> click and Firefox trying to steal focus. KDE should allow that. If
> Firefox gets the focus then you can look for a config that would
> change this behaviour (and obviously remove the 5 second delay)

Adding a delay made no difference.

John.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:38 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 13:24 -0700, Rick Stevens wrote:
> John Horne wrote:

> >> Are you sure its minimised and not just underneath Evolution?
> >>
> > Not sure what you mean by 'underneath'. How would I tell?
>
> Try minimizing Evolution and see if the web page is displayed. If so,
> then Firefox was open, but its screen was "under" the Evolution screen.

In most window managers' default config you can press the middle mouse
button within the title bar and the window will be pushed (lowered) to
behind everything else. Very useful when you have lots of clutter.

poc

Old 05-28-2008, 08:29 AM
John Horne

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 16:45 +0100, John Horne wrote:

> I have noticed with F9, using Evolution mail client, that if a message
> contains a web URL and I click on it (the URL), Firefox is started up
> but remains 'minimised' in the taskbar. That is, it doesn't open up and
> show me the web page until I click on the Firefox icon in the taskbar.
>
> Since I clicked on the URL in the mail message, I would have thought it
> somewhat obvious that I want to look at the web page :-) I could see no
> options in Evolution or Firefox about this.

Well, what can I say? With cap in hand, I have to apologise about this.
I have just returned to work, and my F8 PC, only to find that it
(Evolution/Firefox) does exactly the same thing as under F9! I installed
F9 on my home PC, and have been going through it these past few days to
see what has changed. I *thought* that the above behaviour was different
from F8. Apparently it is not, and, in fact, Evolution/FF are doing what
they did before.

Apologies, but thanks for the replies,

John.