Old 05-27-2008, 01:40 PM
peter van zwol

Default x settings differs from gnome settings

G'day,

Every time when I boot up my PC with Fedora 8 I get the warning that my
settings for the display between de X settings and those by Gnome
differs from each other. I can choose which one to use. But my choise is
not stored so the question pops up the next time of starting my PC.
I think the cause of this has to do something with an update of my
Fedora software recently.

But what to do to get rid of this conflict?

Kind regards,
Peter

Old 05-27-2008, 02:07 PM
"Tom Horsley"

> Every time when I boot up my PC with Fedora 8 I get the warning that my
> settings for the display between de X settings and those by Gnome
> differs from each other.

I've got my own .xsession script for starting up a simple fvwm session,
and ran into the same problem which I eventually tracked down. Here's
a fragment of my .xsession file:

# Breaking news! Every damn time I connect from work via VNC, the next
# time I login to the console X session, I get a $#@! popup about
# "The X system keyboard settings differ from your current GNOME
# keyboard settings." After near infinite amounts of poking sticks
# in random holes, I finally discovered that the $@#! gconf keys
# under /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd.sysbackup need to
# be reset to make this go away, so just always reset that key before
# starting gnome-settings-daemon.
#
/usr/bin/gconftool-2 --recursive-unset /desktop/gnome/peripherals/keyboard/kbd.sysbackup
/usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon &

If you are running a normal gnome session, I'm not sure where to wedge in
the gconftool-2 call to make it happen prior to gnome-settings-daemon,
but removing that key worked for me. I no longer get the annoying
popup message.

Old 05-27-2008, 05:45 PM
peter van zwol

Thanks.
I have no own script.
But I could not find the place either to include the gconftool-2 call.
However, your suggestion made me reading more about this subject.
I have now adjust the conf-file and got rid of the message.

Kr,
Peter