Old 05-27-2008, 12:45 PM
"Marc Ferguson"

Default I/O, Sector Error booting Fedora 9 DVD

Hi,

I'm not in front of my computer (and I'm a linux noob) so my terms and
details may be off a bit. I'm running Fedora 8 on my desktop and I
downloaded the full 4GB iso for F9. I burned the DVD at 18x or some
other god-forsaken slow speed. When I boot with the DVD it gives me
some wierd i/o, sector and I can't continue with the installation.

I'm trying to install it on my IBM Thinkpad R40, but I tried the boot
DVD on my desktop too with the same result.

Marc F.

"..Grace to you and peace from Him who is and who was and who is to
come.." -Rev1:4

Old 05-27-2008, 12:52 PM
Steven Stern

Old 05-27-2008, 01:45 PM
"Marc Ferguson"

On 05/27/2008 07:45 AM, Marc Ferguson wrote:

| Hi,

| I'm not in front of my computer (and I'm a linux noob) so my terms and

| details may be off a bit. I'm running Fedora 8 on my desktop and I

| downloaded the full 4GB iso for F9. I burned the DVD at 18x or some

| other god-forsaken slow speed. When I boot with the DVD it gives me

| some wierd i/o, sector and I can't continue with the installation.

| I'm trying to install it on my IBM Thinkpad R40, but I tried the boot

| DVD on my desktop too with the same result.

And that's why the install has the "test media" option! *Sometimes they

just don't burn right.

When you try to read the DVD, do you see a list of files and directories

or just a .iso file? If the latter, then you didn't create the DVD

properly. You should be able to right click the .iso file and select BURN.

- --

~ *Steve

Thanks for the quick response.* I did right-click and burn the iso file.* So; it should have the contents of the iso file on the DVD, but I didn't verify that either because I've burned lots o iso file in my days (still should check though).* I don't think I verified it using SHA1.* I just saw the http://fedoraproject.org/en/verify page.* So; I'll do that.* Do I have to run the commands as root?* I saw in another mailing list -- something about running those commands as root.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:47 PM

> Hi,
>
> I'm not in front of my computer (and I'm a linux noob) so my terms and
> details may be off a bit. I'm running Fedora 8 on my desktop and I
> downloaded the full 4GB iso for F9. I burned the DVD at 18x or some
> other god-forsaken slow speed. When I boot with the DVD it gives me
> some wierd i/o, sector and I can't continue with the installation.
>
> I'm trying to install it on my IBM Thinkpad R40, but I tried the boot
> DVD on my desktop too with the same result.

Mark,

Some things to check...

First of all, make sure that the DVD ISO file you downloaded is not
corrupt. There was a very small text file named SHA1SUM that you should
should have downloaded along with the ISO(s). Put it in the same directory
as the ISO(s) and run:

$ sha1sum -c SHA1SUM

If it does not say your DVD ISO is "OK", it is corrupt and you'll have to
download it again. (This would be a good time to learn about rsync.) Make
sure that whatever file transfer utility you are using can accurately pull
down a file larger than 2GB. Some can't.

Next, check your DVD burning process. Have you successfully burned DVDs
before? With the DVD blanks you're currently using? (If you're using DVD+R
blanks, is your burner certified for "+"?) What burner software are you
using? The best way to burn a DVD from an ISO in Fedora 8 is to right
click on its icon in a Nautilus (like Explorer) window and select "Write
to disk".

Finally, if you clear both of these wickets safely, there's an integrity
check to run shortly after you boot from the DVD. Pass that and you should
be able to get through the rest of the installation.

--Doc Savage
Fairview Heights, IL

Old 05-27-2008, 02:38 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 08:47 -0500, dsavage@peaknet.net wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm not in front of my computer (and I'm a linux noob) so my terms and
> > details may be off a bit. I'm running Fedora 8 on my desktop and I
> > downloaded the full 4GB iso for F9. I burned the DVD at 18x or some
> > other god-forsaken slow speed. When I boot with the DVD it gives me
> > some wierd i/o, sector and I can't continue with the installation.
> >
> > I'm trying to install it on my IBM Thinkpad R40, but I tried the boot
> > DVD on my desktop too with the same result.
>
> Mark,
>
> Some things to check...
>
> First of all, make sure that the DVD ISO file you downloaded is not
> corrupt. There was a very small text file named SHA1SUM that you should
> should have downloaded along with the ISO(s). Put it in the same directory
> as the ISO(s) and run:
>
> $ sha1sum -c SHA1SUM
>
> If it does not say your DVD ISO is "OK", it is corrupt and you'll have to
> download it again. (This would be a good time to learn about rsync.) Make
> sure that whatever file transfer utility you are using can accurately pull
> down a file larger than 2GB. Some can't.
>
> Next, check your DVD burning process. Have you successfully burned DVDs
> before? With the DVD blanks you're currently using? (If you're using DVD+R
> blanks, is your burner certified for "+"?) What burner software are you
> using? The best way to burn a DVD from an ISO in Fedora 8 is to right
> click on its icon in a Nautilus (like Explorer) window and select "Write
> to disk".
>
> Finally, if you clear both of these wickets safely, there's an integrity
> check to run shortly after you boot from the DVD. Pass that and you should
> be able to get through the rest of the installation.

Personally I just go straight to this last one, because passing the
previous tests gives you no guarantee the disk is correctly burned, and
if the downloaded file is wrong it will also pick it up even if the burn
is correct.

poc

Old 05-28-2008, 06:22 AM
Marc Ferguson

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 10:08 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 08:47 -0500, dsavage@peaknet.net wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm not in front of my computer (and I'm a linux noob) so my terms and
> > details may be off a bit. I'm running Fedora 8 on my desktop and I
> > downloaded the full 4GB iso for F9. I burned the DVD at 18x or some
> > other god-forsaken slow speed. When I boot with the DVD it gives me
> > some wierd i/o, sector and I can't continue with the installation.
> >
> > I'm trying to install it on my IBM Thinkpad R40, but I tried the boot
> > DVD on my desktop too with the same result.
>
> Mark,
>
> Some things to check...
>
> First of all, make sure that the DVD ISO file you downloaded is not
> corrupt. There was a very small text file named SHA1SUM that you should
> should have downloaded along with the ISO(s). Put it in the same directory
> as the ISO(s) and run:
>
> $ sha1sum -c SHA1SUM
>
> If it does not say your DVD ISO is "OK", it is corrupt and you'll have to
> download it again. (This would be a good time to learn about rsync.) Make
> sure that whatever file transfer utility you are using can accurately pull
> down a file larger than 2GB. Some can't.
>
> Next, check your DVD burning process. Have you successfully burned DVDs
> before? With the DVD blanks you're currently using? (If you're using DVD+R
> blanks, is your burner certified for "+"?) What burner software are you
> using? The best way to burn a DVD from an ISO in Fedora 8 is to right
> click on its icon in a Nautilus (like Explorer) window and select "Write
> to disk".
>
> Finally, if you clear both of these wickets safely, there's an integrity
> check to run shortly after you boot from the DVD. Pass that and you should
> be able to get through the rest of the installation.

Personally I just go straight to this last one, because passing the
previous tests gives you no guarantee the disk is correctly burned, and
if the downloaded file is wrong it will also pick it up even if the burn
is correct.

poc

Thanks for all your help.* I figured out that I downloaded the wrong file.* I downloaded i686 version instead of i386.* I got F9 running on my Thinkpad R40, now I'm just trying to get wireless to work.* I got all my WEP information in, but it's not connecting.

Marc Ferguson

President/CEO

D I G I T A L A L I A S

280 Misty Walk

Fairburn, GA 30213-2486

770-238-2362 - Tel.

877-853-5055 - Fax

mferguson@digitalalias.net

www.digitalalias.net

Old 05-28-2008, 11:59 AM
Tim

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 09:45 -0400, Marc Ferguson wrote:
> did right-click and burn the iso file. So; it should have the
> contents of the iso file on the DVD, but I didn't verify that either
> because I've burned lots o iso file in my days (still should check
> though). I don't think I verified it using SHA1. I just saw the
> http://fedoraproject.org/en/verify page. So; I'll do that. Do I have
> to run the commands as root? I saw in another mailing list --
> something about running those commands as root.

I can't imagine why you'd need to be root to do a checksum test on an
ISO file, and I've never needed to be. That verify page doesn't make
such a suggestion.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, all using Gnome
in case that's important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.