Old 05-27-2008, 08:11 AM
David Jansen

Default fedora 9: pam_ssh and pam_keyring ?

I used to use pam_ssh and pam_keyring to unlock ssh keys and the gnome
keyring when logging in, both having the same password as my login password.
However, in fedora 9, this doesn't seem to work, I am still prompted for
a password the first time I use ssh and the first time some program
wants to access the keyring.

Might this be a side effect of the completely new (and seemingly
unfinished, uncustomizable and undocumentend) new gdm? Or is there
something else I am missing here.

Here is the contents of my /etc/pam.d/gdm which si almost the same as
what I had working on fedora 7:

#%PAM-1.0
auth [success=done ignore=ignore default=bad] pam_selinux_permit.so
auth required pam_env.so
auth substack system-auth
auth optional pam_gnome_keyring.so
auth optional pam_keyring.so try_first_pass
auth optional pam_ssh.so try_first_pass
account required pam_nologin.so
account include system-auth
password include system-auth
session required pam_selinux.so close
session required pam_loginuid.so
session optional pam_console.so
session required pam_selinux.so open
session optional pam_keyinit.so force revoke
session required pam_namespace.so
session optional pam_gnome_keyring.so auto_start
session optional pam_keyring.so
session optional pam_ssh.so
session include system-auth

I also noticed there is a new pam_gnome-Keyring, but I haven't had any
luck with that one either.

David Jansen

Old 05-27-2008, 06:27 PM
Todd Zullinger

David Jansen wrote:
> I used to use pam_ssh and pam_keyring to unlock ssh keys and the
> gnome keyring when logging in, both having the same password as my
> login password. However, in fedora 9, this doesn't seem to work, I
> am still prompted for a password the first time I use ssh and the
> first time some program wants to access the keyring.

Gnome keyring is now set to automatically unlock ssh keys. This has
been working well for me since updating to F9. Perhaps something here
will help: http://live.gnome.org/GnomeKeyring/Ssh

Old 05-28-2008, 07:33 AM
David Jansen

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 02:27:20PM -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> David Jansen wrote:
> > I used to use pam_ssh and pam_keyring to unlock ssh keys and the
> > gnome keyring when logging in, both having the same password as my
> > login password. However, in fedora 9, this doesn't seem to work, I
> > am still prompted for a password the first time I use ssh and the
> > first time some program wants to access the keyring.
>
> Gnome keyring is now set to automatically unlock ssh keys. This has
> been working well for me since updating to F9. Perhaps something here
> will help: http://live.gnome.org/GnomeKeyring/Ssh

So absically, pam_gnome_keyring should be the only one I need? I'll give
it a try!

David Jansen

Old 05-28-2008, 04:53 PM
Todd Zullinger

David Jansen wrote:
> So absically, pam_gnome_keyring should be the only one I need?

Even that shouldn't be needed. Gnome should create a login.keyring in
~/.gnome2/keyrings. That keyring will be unlocked automatically on
login and it is where NM, among others, stores its passphrases.