-   -   repository for thunderbird + structuring boxes (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/95908-repository-thunderbird-structuring-boxes.html)

g 05-26-2008 10:42 PM

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> limited to "Inbox", "Trash" and "Junk". I have
> hundreds of folders under my inbox as well as

dan,
this is not in thinking you do not know. only for those who may not.
___________

i may be wrong in my thinking about structuring 'email boxes', yet,
i have had many follow my basic layout and they worked their own.

as i said before, do not build below basic 'in, out, junk, trash'.

do add 'local', 'mymail', or 'what ever' as an addition to basic.

in t-bird's default 'local folders';

unsent
drafts \_ defaults
junk /
trash /
add } added all after, name and order just happened
ev.mail
draft
inbox > used to _copy_ evolution to
outbox /
sent /
build { this is first structuring
0000.add2 { somewhere
2-hold { for now
4-rm_list { mail list to drop. rest are easy
chat
anne
bill
bob
mary
family
kelly
kent
kris
friends
david
f.paul
jill
morrison.fml
paul.c
paul.r
mlist
att
linux
firewall
fstarter
fwbuilder
linuxformat
mandriva
bugzilla
cooker
expert
kernel
newbie
security
sympa
mozilla
firefox
other
t-bird
redhat
fedora
announce
forum
legacy
list
project
qa
spins
unity
xen
mlgw
regions
walgreens
weather
other
personal
medical
hospice
utmem
sent
linkin
evolu { hard file name
drafts
inbox \_ these are 'ln -s' to f8 partition and user email files
outbox /
sent /
new
old

'linkin' is a directory where i make soft links to email files to build up
new 'pigeon holes'. from these, i tag all and *copy* to 'add/ev.mail/inbox'
or which ever.

after copy, i run filters on 'add' files to move new email under 'build'.

there may well be better ways for what i am doing, but it works for now. ymmv.

later.

- --

tc,hago.

.

"Daniel B. Thurman" 05-27-2008 03:19 PM

g wrote:
| Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
| > limited to "Inbox", "Trash" and "Junk". I have
| > hundreds of folders under my inbox as well as
|
| dan,
| this is not in thinking you do not know. only for those who may not.
| ___________

[snip!]

I think the "box" (folders/directory) layouts are
arbitrary, you can setup your structures as you desire.
I have "boxes" both under "Inbox" and outside of "Inbox".
I could have easily moved all by "Inbox" sub-boxes outside
of "Inbox" if I wanted to.

The problem I ran into was that someone recommended
that I place an entry such as "Global Address List"
in the "IMAP server directory" field and in that
case, a "top-level namespace" was created and it
automatically added sub-boxes under the "Global
Address List", "Inbox", Trash", and "Junk". Clicking
on "Subscribe...", you may find that you cannot select
any existing "boxes" outside of your "IMAP server directory"
namespace, as I did.

My problem was solved by clearing the "IMAP server
directory" field and allowed me to "Subscribe..." to
all existing boxes in the global namespace.

FWIW,
Dan

g 05-29-2008 07:40 AM

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> g wrote:
> | dan,
> | this is not in thinking you do not know. only for those who may not.
> [snip!]
>
> I think the "box" (folders/directory) layouts are
> arbitrary, you can setup your structures as you desire.

nor did i imply otherwise.
yet i did hope to provoke other ways,

imap server:
> I have "boxes" both under "Inbox" and outside of "Inbox".
> I could have easily moved all by "Inbox" sub-boxes outside
> of "Inbox" if I wanted to.

appearance of 'presort'? for self or others?

> The problem I ran into was that someone recommended
> that I place an entry such as "Global Address List"
> in the "IMAP server directory" field and in that
> case, a "top-level namespace" was created and it
> automatically added sub-boxes under the "Global
> Address List", "Inbox", Trash", and "Junk". Clicking
> on "Subscribe...", you may find that you cannot select
> any existing "boxes" outside of your "IMAP server directory"
> namespace, as I did.
>
> My problem was solved by clearing the "IMAP server
> directory" field and allowed me to "Subscribe..." to
> all existing boxes in the global namespace.

ok. but i am at wonder why, or is it due to ms ex 6?

> FWIW,

a lot if it helps later.

later.

- --

tc,hago.

.

with out gates, who needs fences.

"Daniel B. Thurman" 05-29-2008 09:32 PM

g wrote:
| Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
| > g wrote:
| > | dan,
| > | this is not in thinking you do not know. only for those
| who may not.
| > [snip!]
| >
| > I think the "box" (folders/directory) layouts are
| > arbitrary, you can setup your structures as you desire.
|
| nor did i imply otherwise.
| yet i did hope to provoke other ways,

Understood.

| imap server:
| > I have "boxes" both under "Inbox" and outside of "Inbox".
| > I could have easily moved all by "Inbox" sub-boxes outside
| > of "Inbox" if I wanted to.
|
| appearance of 'presort'? for self or others?

Just for self. Outlook clients that connect to Exchange
is a per-user/system configuration and is not globally set.
I just happened to set it up in this way and stuck with
it ever since. Note however, that you can create exchange
"rules" so that new email arrivals can be automatically
moved from "Inbox" into your pre-defined "boxes". It just
makes it easier for me to categorize/organize inbound email
messages.

| > The problem I ran into was that someone recommended
| > that I place an entry such as "Global Address List"
| > in the "IMAP server directory" field and in that
| > case, a "top-level namespace" was created and it
| > automatically added sub-boxes under the "Global
| > Address List", "Inbox", Trash", and "Junk". Clicking
| > on "Subscribe...", you may find that you cannot select
| > any existing "boxes" outside of your "IMAP server directory"
| > namespace, as I did.
| >
| > My problem was solved by clearing the "IMAP server
| > directory" field and allowed me to "Subscribe..." to
| > all existing boxes in the global namespace.
|
| ok. but i am at wonder why, or is it due to ms ex 6?

No, it is not due to "ms ex 6" exclusively - it was setup
arbitrarily as explained earlier.

| > FWIW,
|
| a lot if it helps later.

No problem!

Dan

"Daniel B. Thurman" 05-29-2008 09:38 PM

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
| g wrote:
| | Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
[snip!]
| | ok. but i am at wonder why, or is it due to ms ex 6?
|
| No, it is not due to "ms ex 6" exclusively - it was setup
| arbitrarily as explained earlier.

Uh, I may have mis-read your statement. As for why the namespace
created used in "IMAP server directory", it seems to me that
a namespace "box" was created and excluded all global "boxes",
that, I am not sure why. I just noted the behavior. Maybe this
was intended by Thunderbird and not a function of "ms ex 6".
Again, I am not sure why. It just is.

Dan