Old 05-26-2008, 07:00 PM
"Antonio M"

Default NTFS recovery

We are trying to recovery data from a garbled Windows PC.
When we mount a NTFS partition we get this message:

mount -v -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /home/antonio/rocco
Incomplete multi sector transfer detected in $MFT.
Failed to load $MFT: Input/output error
Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Input/output error
NTFS is either inconsistent, or you have hardware faults, or you have a
SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
then reboot into Windows TWICE. The usage of the /f parameter is very
important! If you have SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first you must activate
it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
/dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
for the details.

For some reason we cannot run chkdsk /f in Windows...

Any tool to try in order to recover data??? Tnx for any advice.I

--
Antonio Montagnani
Skype : antoniomontag

Old 05-27-2008, 12:35 AM

On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 21:00 +0200, Antonio M wrote:
> We are trying to recovery data from a garbled Windows PC.

is this a single or dual boot system.

may be best under ms windows. either way, do a 'dd' backup of _full_
drive before you try anything. _do_not_ do a 'partition' backup.

> When we mount a NTFS partition we get this message:
>
> mount -v -t ntfs /dev/sdb1 /home/antonio/rocco
> Incomplete multi sector transfer detected in $MFT.
> Failed to load $MFT: Input/output error
> Failed to mount '/dev/sdb1': Input/output error
> NTFS is either inconsistent, or you have hardware faults, or you have a
> SoftRAID/FakeRAID hardware. In the first case run chkdsk /f on Windows
> then reboot into Windows TWICE. The usage of the /f parameter is very
> important! If you have SoftRAID/FakeRAID then first you must activate
> it and mount a different device under the /dev/mapper/ directory, (e.g.
> /dev/mapper/nvidia_eahaabcc1). Please see the 'dmraid' documentation
> for the details.

not into linux raid yet.

> For some reason we cannot run chkdsk /f in Windows...

may be there, should be, but due to 'garbled', you may have trashed
tables. do you get any error message.

you may need to mount drive in an existing ms system, same 'type' as
drive is from and try repair under ms.

> Any tool to try in order to recover data??? Tnx for any advice.I

use linux from start.

if you have to use msos, do not format 'ntfs'. if trashed, you may
not be able to recover. bg & c planed it that way. ;o)

--

tc,hago.

.