Old 05-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Geoffrey Leach

Default Fedora 9 and selinux

The Fedora 8 install process had an option to say whether selinux was
to be used in the installed system. The Fedora 9 install had no such
question. Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks.

Old 05-25-2008, 10:45 PM
"Chris S. Wilson"

Not sure, But I do know SElinux is a great thing to have enabled - its just
a major pain in the a** :=]

You can edit /etc/selinux/config to enable/disable selinux (maybe that's why
it was taken out, its just so simple ), and just reboot. man selinux for
more information.

--
Chris S. Wilson
Owner/CoolCat Computers

Old 05-26-2008, 01:58 AM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 17:45 -0500, Chris S. Wilson wrote:
> Not sure, But I do know SElinux is a great thing to have enabled - its just
> a major pain in the a** :=]
>
> You can edit /etc/selinux/config to enable/disable selinux (maybe that's why
> it was taken out, its just so simple ), and just reboot. man selinux for
> more information.

*Please* don't top-post.

You can run system-config-selinux to select whether you want enforcing,
permissive or off modes.

poc

Old 05-26-2008, 03:21 AM
"Daniel Auger"

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 8:58 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
<pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 17:45 -0500, Chris S. Wilson wrote:
>> Not sure, But I do know SElinux is a great thing to have enabled - its just
>> a major pain in the a** :=]
>>
>> You can edit /etc/selinux/config to enable/disable selinux (maybe that's why
>> it was taken out, its just so simple ), and just reboot. man selinux for
>> more information.
>
> *Please* don't top-post.
>
> You can run system-config-selinux to select whether you want enforcing,
> permissive or off modes.
>
> poc

If one has been using the system for awhile but doesn't want selinux
to get in the way, is it more advisable to set it to permissive rather
than disabling? I know that disabling selinux envolves relabelling the
system. Is relabelling completely transparent, or can it lead to
subtle problems?

Old 05-26-2008, 03:37 AM
Craig White

On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 22:21 -0500, Daniel Auger wrote:
> On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 8:58 PM, Patrick O'Callaghan
> <pocallaghan@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 17:45 -0500, Chris S. Wilson wrote:
> >> Not sure, But I do know SElinux is a great thing to have enabled - its just
> >> a major pain in the a** :=]
> >>
> >> You can edit /etc/selinux/config to enable/disable selinux (maybe that's why
> >> it was taken out, its just so simple ), and just reboot. man selinux for
> >> more information.
> >
> > *Please* don't top-post.
> >
> > You can run system-config-selinux to select whether you want enforcing,
> > permissive or off modes.
> >
> > poc
> >

> > --
> >

> If one has been using the system for awhile but doesn't want selinux
> to get in the way, is it more advisable to set it to permissive rather
> than disabling? I know that disabling selinux envolves relabelling the
> system. Is relabelling completely transparent, or can it lead to
> subtle problems?
----
The process of mass relabeling is transparent and yes, it can take some
time...depending upon how many files you have on your system and the
speed of your system/hard drive(s).

The problem is that if you decide to turn SELinux back on...

touch /.autorelabel && shutdown now -r

you may be presented with some problems that you will have to
troubleshoot after all the relabeling is done. Instead of dealing with
things as they come along, you may have many challenges at first boot
depending upon what kind of software you have installed and where you
installed it from. If you are only using Fedora packages, you shouldn't
have too many things to deal with.

It's a good idea to bring your system completely up-to-date before doing
the relabel/boot option so that you have all of the latest
SELinux-policy files.

Craig

Old 05-26-2008, 04:13 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 22:21 -0500, Daniel Auger wrote:
> If one has been using the system for awhile but doesn't want selinux
> to get in the way, is it more advisable to set it to permissive rather
> than disabling?

If you only want to temporarily run without it, I'd advise using
permissive mode. If you never intend to use it again, then totally
disable it.

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:41 AM
Bruno Wolff III

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 22:21:15 -0500,
Daniel Auger <daniel.auger@gmail.com> wrote:

> If one has been using the system for awhile but doesn't want selinux
> to get in the way, is it more advisable to set it to permissive rather
> than disabling? I know that disabling selinux envolves relabelling the
> system. Is relabelling completely transparent, or can it lead to
> subtle problems?

Disabling selinux doesn't directly involve relabelling. What happens is that
newly created files don't get labelled properly, so that if you ever want
to turn selinux back on, you will need to relabel as part of the process
of turning it back on. In the grand scope of things the time for a relabel
isn't going to be that long. Depending on the number of files on your
system and the speed a typical relabel will normally be less than a half
hour.