Old 05-25-2008, 04:51 PM
"Dejan ńĆabrilo"

Default LVM - How to resize a volume group?

> Can you be more clean on your goal, I understand you'd like to create a new
> filesystem?

I would like to create a new primary partition. I currently have sda1
(/boot) and sda2 (lvm), and would like to shrink sda2.

> Please provide output of the following two commands:
> vgdisplay
> lvdisplay

Attached.

Thanks,
Dejan

Old 05-25-2008, 05:13 PM
Brian Tillman

Dejan
Instead of making a new partition on disk, why not create another logical volume? You can shrink one of the two logical volumes {root | home} and create a new LV for your new partition. This will allow you more¬*flexibility¬*in the future with resizing, and will be worlds easier than shrinking your LV's VG's, PV, the¬*partition, and then writing a new one.
If you're using EXT2/3 for your /home, you can shrink the LV like this:
# umount /home# e2fsadm -L-1G /dev/VolGroup00/home# mount /home

dangerous content by
MailScanner, and is

believed to be clean.
See the e2fsadm man page for more information.
See the lvcreate manpage for instructions on creating the new volume.
Brian
On May 25, 2008, at 9:51 AM, Dejan ńĆabrilo wrote:Can you be more clean on your goal, I understand you'd like to create a newfilesystem?
I would like to create a new primary partition. I currently have sda1(/boot) and sda2 (lvm), and would like to shrink sda2.
Please provide output of the following two commands:vgdisplaylvdisplay
Attached.
Thanks,Dejan
--¬*This message has been scanned for viruses anddangerous content by MailScanner, and isbelieved to be clean.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:18 PM
"Dejan ńĆabrilo"

> Instead of making a new partition on disk, why not create another logical
> volume? You can shrink one of the two logical volumes {root | home} and
> create a new LV for your new partition.

Unfortunately, the OS I need this partition for does not read LV's

So I truly do need a new primary partition

Old 05-25-2008, 05:33 PM
Brian Tillman

You'll have to shrink the PV first before resizing the partition..
see the pvresize man page.

Brian

Old 05-25-2008, 05:40 PM
"Dejan ńĆabrilo"

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 7:33 PM, Brian Tillman
<mailinglists@briantillman.com> wrote:
> You'll have to shrink the PV first before resizing the partition.. see the
> pvresize man page.

Excellent. That seems to be what I was looking for.

Thanks!
Dejan

Old 05-27-2008, 12:08 PM
"Dejan ńĆabrilo"

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 7:40 PM, Dejan ńĆabrilo <dcabrilo@gmail.com> wrote:
>> You'll have to shrink the PV first before resizing the partition.. see the
>> pvresize man page.

Right, so I shrunk the PV, and I want to shrink /dev/sda2.

What's the safest way to do it?
Can parted accomplish it, or should I delete a partition in fdisk and
then create a smaller one? (the second option scares the hell out of
me!)

Also, are there any gotchas to watch for?

Thanks,
Dejan

Old 05-27-2008, 12:37 PM
John Selmys

You'll have to shrink the PV first before resizing the partition.. see the
pvresize man page.

Right, so I shrunk the PV, and I want to shrink /dev/sda2.

What's the safest way to do it?
Can parted accomplish it, or should I delete a partition in fdisk and
then create a smaller one? (the second option scares the hell out of
me!)

Also, are there any gotchas to watch for?

Thanks,
Dejan

You'll have to delete /dev/sda2 using fdisk - that's what I use - and
then create a new smaller /dev/sda2. Just be careful not to make it
smaller than your physical volume. Then you can make /dev/sda3 from the
free space you have. Normally I use dd to backup my partition table
first, but yours is so small that you could just as easily write it
down on a scrap of paper. If you mess things up, you can recover by
booting from a liveCD (eg knoppix) and restoring your partition table
to its original state.

John

======