Old 05-25-2008, 04:46 PM
James Thorpe

Default RAID 1 and recovery

Jeffrey Ross wrote:
As I recall (while sweating bullets) I booted the rescue CD and
enabled each of the RAID volumes one by one. Unfortunately I don't
remember the options from mdadm or I'd give them to you.
After the replies so far this is what i've been trying to do on my test
system - I've not managed to find the correct options yet - all the
attempts to use --assemble are resulting in "no devices found for
/dev/md0". Any ideas what's wrong with the following:

mdadm --assemble /dev/md0 --run /dev/sdb1

(one attempt amongst many!)

I verified sdb is the correct drive using fdisk - it reported the
partition correctly as raid autodetect.

Any thoughts?

James.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:12 PM
James Thorpe

Getting somewhere...

used:

mdadm --assemble --run /dev/md0 --uuid=....

specifying the uuid rather than the device brought it up as expected
with 1 of the 2 drives in the array. However, when trying to mount it:

mkdir /mnt/test
mount /dev/md0 /mnt/test

I get a "mount: No such file or directory"

Should mount after it's started, right?

Cheers,
James.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:16 PM
"Lonni J Friedman"

On Sun, May 25, 2008 at 2:12 PM, James Thorpe <james@tfxsoft.com> wrote:
> Getting somewhere...
>
> used:
>
> mdadm --assemble --run /dev/md0 --uuid=....
>
> specifying the uuid rather than the device brought it up as expected with 1
> of the 2 drives in the array. However, when trying to mount it:
>
> mkdir /mnt/test
> mount /dev/md0 /mnt/test
>
> I get a "mount: No such file or directory"
>
> Should mount after it's started, right?

The mount binary can't be found. Try /bin/mount and pray.

Old 05-25-2008, 09:23 PM
James Thorpe

Lonni J Friedman wrote:

The mount binary can't be found. Try /bin/mount and pray.

I think it has found it - eg if I switch the parameters it tells me
/mnt/test isn't a block device. Almost seems like it can't see
/mnt/test, but its definitely there.

James.

Old 05-26-2008, 07:11 PM
James Thorpe

I've "fixed" it by reinstalling, but not using the installer to
configure the raid drives. Instead I did it manually with mdadm after
installation, and tested it the same way - booting off the CD in rescue
mode with a drive pulled out, and successfully assembled & mounted the
(degraded) array. Any ideas why the installer would create the array in
a different way to doing it manually?

Cheers,
James.