-   -   LVM - How to resize a volume group? (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/95109-lvm-how-resize-volume-group.html)

"Dejan Čabrilo" 05-25-2008 03:59 PM

LVM - How to resize a volume group?

Hello all,

I'm new to LVM so my terminology and understanding may be wrong, but
let me try to ask the question:

* I currently have two partitions on a hard disk: sda1 (/boot) and sda2.
* sda2 holds a logical volume group (VolGroup00), which holds 3 volumes.
* I would like to shrink the volume group VolGroup00 (sda2), in order
to free up some space on the hard disk, and create sda3 partition

I know I can free up some space on VolGroup00 (shrink one of the
volumes). But, how can I non-destructively resize the volume group
itself? What would be the steps involved?

Thank you,
Dejan Čabrilo

P.S. Obviously, there are workarounds like using a second HD to move
all my stuff there and then create a new setup, but I'd like to do it
without any workarounds, if possible.

Brian Tillman 05-25-2008 04:02 PM

LVM - How to resize a volume group?

Hi Dejan,

Can you be more clean on your goal, I understand you'd like to create
a new filesystem?

Please provide output of the following two commands:

vgdisplay
lvdisplay

Brian

I'm new to LVM so my terminology and understanding may be wrong, but
let me try to ask the question:

* I currently have two partitions on a hard disk: sda1 (/boot) and
sda2.
* sda2 holds a logical volume group (VolGroup00), which holds 3
volumes.

* I would like to shrink the volume group VolGroup00 (sda2), in order
to free up some space on the hard disk, and create sda3 partition

I know I can free up some space on VolGroup00 (shrink one of the
volumes). But, how can I non-destructively resize the volume group
itself? What would be the steps involved?

Thank you,
Dejan Čabrilo

P.S. Obviously, there are workarounds like using a second HD to move
all my stuff there and then create a new setup, but I'd like to do it
without any workarounds, if possible.

believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.