Old 05-25-2008, 03:52 PM
James Thorpe

Default RAID 1 and recovery

Hi List,

Been searching for a while for an answer to this, and have started
experimenting with a fresh install, but not found a way yet. Basically
I'm building a small home server, primarily to act as a file store.
It's got a drive for the OS, and 2 further drives which I wish to set up
in a RAID 1 array to use for the store. All the info I've managed to
find so far to do with recovery from this is when just a drive in the
array fails, however I'm also concerned about the box as a whole, and
I'd like to know if it's possible to take a single drive from the array,
put it into another machine and be able to read from it? Eg just as a
normal ext3 partition etc?

That's it... very simple - but I've not found the answer yet!

Thanks,
James.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:06 PM
Brian Tillman

James,

A single disk from a Linux Software RAID 1 Mirror (using MD) should
readable in another system so long as you also running MD on that
system. You'll just need to import that disk as a new array on the
second system; there is a flag to indicate that the second drive in
the array is missing and can be added later.

Brian

Been searching for a while for an answer to this, and have started
experimenting with a fresh install, but not found a way yet.
Basically I'm building a small home server, primarily to act as a
file store. It's got a drive for the OS, and 2 further drives
which I wish to set up in a RAID 1 array to use for the store. All
the info I've managed to find so far to do with recovery from this
is when just a drive in the array fails, however I'm also concerned
about the box as a whole, and I'd like to know if it's possible to
take a single drive from the array, put it into another machine and
be able to read from it? Eg just as a normal ext3 partition etc?

That's it... very simple - but I've not found the answer yet!

Thanks,
James.

believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Sam Varshavchik

James Thorpe writes:

Hi List,

Been searching for a while for an answer to this, and have started
experimenting with a fresh install, but not found a way yet. Basically
I'm building a small home server, primarily to act as a file store.
It's got a drive for the OS, and 2 further drives which I wish to set up
in a RAID 1 array to use for the store. All the info I've managed to
find so far to do with recovery from this is when just a drive in the
array fails, however I'm also concerned about the box as a whole, and
I'd like to know if it's possible to take a single drive from the array,
put it into another machine and be able to read from it? Eg just as a
normal ext3 partition etc?

I see no reason why this would not work. This wouldn't be any different than
having only one drive in a RAID-1 come up. There is no functional difference
between a drive that's physically missing, and one's that's out of service.

The tricky part would be getting the new machine to boot off the drive. The
exact steps needed to do that depend on the hardware (IDE or SCSI), and how
grub is set up.

Generally speaking, if you take two drives in RAID-1, and use grub-install
twice to install the grub bootloader on both hard drives' boot sector, you
should then be able to take any drive into another machine and boot off it.
Linux will come up with the RAID-1 in degraded mode, but it should boot up.
If you have a spare, second drive in the new machine, you should be able to
carefully partition it in exactly the same layout as your transplanted hard
drive, add the partition to their arrays, and the kernel will proceed and
sync everything up.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:17 PM
Jeffrey Ross

James Thorpe wrote:

Hi List,

Been searching for a while for an answer to this, and have started
experimenting with a fresh install, but not found a way yet.
Basically I'm building a small home server, primarily to act as a file
store. It's got a drive for the OS, and 2 further drives which I wish
to set up in a RAID 1 array to use for the store. All the info I've
managed to find so far to do with recovery from this is when just a
drive in the array fails, however I'm also concerned about the box as
a whole, and I'd like to know if it's possible to take a single drive
from the array, put it into another machine and be able to read from
it? Eg just as a normal ext3 partition etc?

That's it... very simple - but I've not found the answer yet!

Yes you can and I've done it, however I'd recommend letting it be
mounted as a RAID volume. I have run into the problem where I purposely
removed one of the volumes on a RAID 1 system (the one that was the
actual boot drive) only to find out that the bootloader wasn't properly
installed and that the second disk although it contained the RAID
mirror, it was not set to active and couldn't be mounted.

As I recall (while sweating bullets) I booted the rescue CD and enabled
each of the RAID volumes one by one. Unfortunately I don't remember the
options from mdadm or I'd give them to you.

Thanks,
James.

Your welcome...

Jeff