Old 05-25-2008, 04:35 AM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Default Fedora 9 - Wireless SUCCESS - Use TKIP, not AES

john wendel wrote:

After several hours of fiddling with the non-working wireless network in
my new Fedora installation, I noticed in the log file a list of
supported security modules - and "WPA - AES" wasn't in the list.

So, I changed my router to use "WPA - TKIP" instead of "WPA - AES". I
then restarted the box, and got an perfect wireless connection.

It would really be nice if the #$$%%# software would have mentioned that
it doesn't support "AES".

I'm confused. So why does my connection at home work using WPA-AES?
I'm using a Linksys wrt54g, stock. NetworkManger w/wpa_supplicant on my
F9 laptop. As a matter of fact, it works both for me at home, and at my
mother's place where her router is configured for WPA-TKIP....

What are you missing that I already have?

Regards,

John

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 05-25-2008, 05:04 AM
john wendel

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

john wendel wrote:

After several hours of fiddling with the non-working wireless network
in my new Fedora installation, I noticed in the log file a list of
supported security modules - and "WPA - AES" wasn't in the list.

So, I changed my router to use "WPA - TKIP" instead of "WPA - AES". I
then restarted the box, and got an perfect wireless connection.

It would really be nice if the #$$%%# software would have mentioned
that it doesn't support "AES".

I'm confused. So why does my connection at home work using WPA-AES?
I'm using a Linksys wrt54g, stock. NetworkManger w/wpa_supplicant on my
F9 laptop. As a matter of fact, it works both for me at home, and at my
mother's place where her router is configured for WPA-TKIP....

What are you missing that I already have?

Regards,

John

Well, I'm obviously more confused than you. I sldo have a Linksys wrt54g
V6 (sort of old), if that makes any difference. I'm running F9 with all
the latest updates on an Acer with Intel IPW2200 (again, not the latest
stuff) wireless. I was previously running Fedora 6 and it was working fine.

Thanks for letting me know that AES should work. Maybe I'll experiment
with it some more.

John

Old 06-02-2008, 03:27 PM
"Wolfgang S. Rupprecht"

john wendel <jwendel10@comcast.net> writes:
> It would really be nice if the #$$%%# software would have mentioned
> that it doesn't support "AES".

I use F9 with WPA2-AES (no TKIP or WPA-v1 allowed here).
NetworkManager (and wpa_supplicant for that matter) has no trouble
with WPA2-AES. Might your problem be that your network *card* is too
old and doesn't support AES?

The only problem I see is that NetworkManager refuses to bring up the
network until someone logs into the console. That makes it darn hard
to ssh into the box etc (but that is a different gripe).

-wolfgang