FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-25-2008, 02:32 AM
"Amadeus W.M."
 
Default what kind of /etc/fstab is this?

> I'm curious: what linux version and kernel you have?
>
> ~af

uname -a
Linux phoenix 2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686 #1 SMP Tue May 13 05:38:53 EDT 2008
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-25-2008, 02:33 AM
"Amadeus W.M."
 
Default what kind of /etc/fstab is this?

> The benefit is to people with multiple installations because it causes a
> bunch of issues to use standardized labels.
>
> Not related to selinux, not related to encryption, just related to
> absolutely unique handles.
>
> Craig

So I can't change this, can I?


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-25-2008, 02:47 AM
Steve Searle
 
Default what kind of /etc/fstab is this?

Around 03:33am on Sunday, May 25, 2008 (UK time), Amadeus W.M. scrawled:

> So I can't change this, can I?

They are just the partition labels, so you should be able to.

steve

--

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?

03:45:38 up 2 days, 8:17, 1 user, load average: 0.06, 0.06, 0.01
--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-25-2008, 03:14 AM
Todd Zullinger
 
Default what kind of /etc/fstab is this?

Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> So I can't change this, can I?

You're perfectly free to change them. However, if you change them to
use device names, you're not allowed to complain if it breaks because
the device names change on reboot someday.

--
Todd OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xBEAF0CE3 | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Once ... in the wilds of Afghanistan, I lost my corkscrew, and we were
forced to live on nothing but food and water for days.
-- W.C. Fields

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-25-2008, 03:33 AM
"Arthur Pemberton"
 
Default what kind of /etc/fstab is this?

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 9:33 PM, Amadeus W.M. <amadeus84@verizon.net> wrote:
>
>> The benefit is to people with multiple installations because it causes a
>> bunch of issues to use standardized labels.
>>
>> Not related to selinux, not related to encryption, just related to
>> absolutely unique handles.
>>
>> Craig
>
> So I can't change this, can I?


Its your system, do whatever you want with it. This is just a safer default.


--
Fedora 7 : sipping some of that moonshine
( www.pembo13.com )

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-25-2008, 03:49 PM
"Amadeus W.M."
 
Default what kind of /etc/fstab is this?

On Sat, 24 May 2008 23:14:29 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:

> Amadeus W.M. wrote:
>> So I can't change this, can I?
>
> You're perfectly free to change them. However, if you change them to
> use device names, you're not allowed to complain if it breaks because
> the device names change on reboot someday.
>

That's precisely my worry.

I'm not convinced about the utility of having schizophrenic partition
labels upon install, with no other option. How many people run several
unixes on the same computer? 5% maybe? Then maybe they should be given the
option to have ugly labels, and let the rest of us have pretty labels by
default.

But enough noise already.


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-25-2008, 04:18 PM
Todd Zullinger
 
Default what kind of /etc/fstab is this?

Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> I'm not convinced about the utility of having schizophrenic
> partition labels upon install, with no other option. How many people
> run several unixes on the same computer? 5% maybe? Then maybe they
> should be given the option to have ugly labels, and let the rest of
> us have pretty labels by default.

The problem has little to do with running other systems. Even on the
same fedora install, the device names are not guaranteed to remain
constant. So either a label or uuid is the safe way to refer to the
partition in fstab. For the installer, uuid is better, since the
labels it writes are not really all that unique (LABEL=/ comes up a
lot .

--
Todd OpenPGP -> KeyID: 0xBEAF0CE3 | URL: www.pobox.com/~tmz/pgp
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Every absurdity has a champion who will defend it.

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-25-2008, 04:39 PM
Michael Hennebry
 
Default what kind of /etc/fstab is this?

On Sun, 25 May 2008, Amadeus W.M. wrote:

> On Sat, 24 May 2008 23:14:29 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
>
> > Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> >> So I can't change this, can I?
> >
> > You're perfectly free to change them. However, if you change them to
> > use device names, you're not allowed to complain if it breaks because
> > the device names change on reboot someday.
> >
>
> That's precisely my worry.

I had precisely that problem when troubleshooting
difficulties with moving /home.
Knoppix and Fedora used different device names.
Adding to the confusion was a swap partition whose label
included a device name that no longer applied to it.

> I'm not convinced about the utility of having schizophrenic partition
> labels upon install, with no other option. How many people run several
> unixes on the same computer? 5% maybe? Then maybe they should be given the
> option to have ugly labels, and let the rest of us have pretty labels by
> default.

I'd recommend labels along the lines of
something-pretty-and-meaningful_disk-sequence-number_partition-sequence-number

disk-sequence-number would distinguish a
disk from every other disk you ever owned.
Three digits would be more than enough for most of us.

Similarly, partition-sequence-number would distingusih a partition
from every other partition that was ever on that disk.
Three digits should be a great plenty.

something-pretty-and-meaningful is pretty much a matter of whim,
but I'd avoid anything with /dev in it.

BTW labels are not the same as UUIDs,
but I don't know much more than that about UUIDs.

--
Michael hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"Those parts of the system that you can hit with a hammer (not advised)
are called Hardware; those program instructions that you can only
curse at are called Software."

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-25-2008, 05:04 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"
 
Default what kind of /etc/fstab is this?

Amadeus W.M. wrote:

On Sat, 24 May 2008 23:14:29 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:


Amadeus W.M. wrote:

So I can't change this, can I?

You're perfectly free to change them. However, if you change them to
use device names, you're not allowed to complain if it breaks because
the device names change on reboot someday.



That's precisely my worry.

I'm not convinced about the utility of having schizophrenic partition
labels upon install, with no other option. How many people run several
unixes on the same computer? 5% maybe? Then maybe they should be given the
option to have ugly labels, and let the rest of us have pretty labels by
default.


But enough noise already.


There probably is an option in the expert install, but I have not
checked... The UUIDs are handy if you change the order of the
drives, or put them in another computer.


Mikkel
--

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons,
for thou art crunchy and taste good with Ketchup!

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-25-2008, 08:55 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default what kind of /etc/fstab is this?

On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 12:18 -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> Amadeus W.M. wrote:
> > I'm not convinced about the utility of having schizophrenic
> > partition labels upon install, with no other option. How many people
> > run several unixes on the same computer? 5% maybe? Then maybe they
> > should be given the option to have ugly labels, and let the rest of
> > us have pretty labels by default.
>
> The problem has little to do with running other systems. Even on the
> same fedora install, the device names are not guaranteed to remain
> constant. So either a label or uuid is the safe way to refer to the
> partition in fstab. For the installer, uuid is better, since the
> labels it writes are not really all that unique (LABEL=/ comes up a
> lot .
But how do oyu find the correct UUID label?
--
================================================== =====================
The difference between this place and yogurt is that yogurt has a live
culture.
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:18 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org