Old 05-24-2008, 11:03 PM
wwp

Default Can't play sound from terminal w/ some users

Hello there,

I've noticed that when I log in w/ some users in terminals, I'm not
able to play sounds using `aplay`. I get something like the errors
below, whereas it works perfectly for my default user and root.

ALSA lib confmisc.c:768parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:3510_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such device
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:3510_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such device
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:3510_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such device
ALSA lib conf.c:3982snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
ALSA lib pcm.c:2145snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
aplay: main:546: audio open error: No such device

Any idea what's wrong?

FYI: Fedora 8, pulse audio disabled.

wwp

Old 05-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 01:03 +0200, wwp wrote:
> I've noticed that when I log in w/ some users in terminals, I'm not
> able to play sounds using `aplay`. I get something like the errors
> below, whereas it works perfectly for my default user and root.

Different users logged in at the same time, or are you logging
completely out, then in again as someone else?

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.15-80.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 05-25-2008, 08:19 AM
wwp

Hello Tim,

On Sun, 25 May 2008 17:35:27 +0930 Tim <ignored_mailbox@yahoo.com.au> wrote:

> On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 01:03 +0200, wwp wrote:
> > I've noticed that when I log in w/ some users in terminals, I'm not
> > able to play sounds using `aplay`. I get something like the errors
> > below, whereas it works perfectly for my default user and root.
>
> Different users logged in at the same time, or are you logging
> completely out, then in again as someone else?

I'm logged in GNOME w/ my default user, and within that session I open
terminals with root, user1 or user2 (`su -`). User1 and 2 are not able
to play sound from that terminals whereas root can.

Note that user1 is able to play sound using `aplay` from his own
parallel KDE session (using User Switcher).

wwp

Old 05-25-2008, 10:29 PM
stan

wwp wrote:

Hello Tim,

I've noticed that when I log in w/ some users in terminals, I'm not
able to play sounds using `aplay`. I get something like the errors
below, whereas it works perfectly for my default user and root.

Different users logged in at the same time, or are you logging
completely out, then in again as someone else?

I'm logged in GNOME w/ my default user, and within that session I open
terminals with root, user1 or user2 (`su -`). User1 and 2 are not able
to play sound from that terminals whereas root can.

Note that user1 is able to play sound using `aplay` from his own
parallel KDE session (using User Switcher).

Regards,

This is a permissions problem. Someone has to decide if this is
desirable behavior, and then they have to fix it. You should go here
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/ and do a search for any bugs related to
this. If there are none, open a new one with the description above.