Old 05-24-2008, 10:13 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Default cronie crashing?

Is anyone else having cron crash occasionally, in F9? My servers run 24x7.
Once or twice a week, crond disappears. This is happening on my i386 server
and, after I upgraded my x86_64 server from F8 to F9 this morning, six hours
later crond died on x86_64.

Time to put strace on crond, and wait…

Old 05-24-2008, 10:18 PM
Brian Tillman

Consider using RHEL / CentOS for your Servers? F9 is bleeding edge,
far from stable, ect ect.

Is anyone else having cron crash occasionally, in F9? My servers
run 24x7. Once or twice a week, crond disappears. This is happening
on my i386 server and, after I upgraded my x86_64 server from F8 to
F9 this morning, six hours later crond died on x86_64.

Time to put strace on crond, and wait…

believed to be clean.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:39 PM
Paul Dwerryhouse

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 06:13:50PM -0400, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Is anyone else having cron crash occasionally, in F9? My servers run
> 24x7. Once or twice a week, crond disappears. This is happening on my
> i386 server and, after I upgraded my x86_64 server from F8 to F9 this
> morning, six hours later crond died on x86_64.

I've been seeing cron mysteriously die (or suddenly just stop working,
despite remaining running) for years, across lots of different distributions.

--
Paul Dwerryhouse | PGP Key ID: 0x6B91B584

Old 05-24-2008, 11:51 PM
Sam Varshavchik

Paul Dwerryhouse writes:

Is anyone else having cron crash occasionally, in F9? My servers run
24x7. Once or twice a week, crond disappears. This is happening on my
i386 server and, after I upgraded my x86_64 server from F8 to F9 this
morning, six hours later crond died on x86_64.

I've been seeing cron mysteriously die (or suddenly just stop working,
despite remaining running) for years, across lots of different distributions.

Never happened for me, until F9. Cron in F9 is different codebase.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:31 AM
"David C. Chipman"

Hey Sam,

Brian Tillman made a good suggestion. Don't use Fedora
for 24x7 servers. Use RHEL or CentOS. Is their some reason you need to
use a bleeding edge distro in such an environment?

-David Chipman

Old 05-28-2008, 02:17 AM
Sam Varshavchik

David C. Chipman writes:

Hey Sam,

Brian Tillman made a good suggestion. Don't use Fedora
for 24x7 servers. Use RHEL or CentOS. Is their some reason you need to
use a bleeding edge distro in such an environment?

Thanks for your suggestions, but that's not the question that I was asking.