Old 05-24-2008, 10:04 PM
Thomas Spura

Default FC9: Freeze while booting of new installed system

Hi.
I wanted to install fc9 and anything was fine, till it was booting till
udev wants to start, but nothing is happening at all.

I have a Samsung q45 with a ricoh mmc controler, and i guess something
is wrong with this, because with the 2.6.25 kernel, i had problems with
debian too. But it's strange, that the networkinstallation cd from fc
works and is booting but the installed system not...

Has anyone an idea what to do?

Old 05-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Tim

On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 00:04 +0200, Thomas Spura wrote:
> I have a Samsung q45 with a ricoh mmc controler, and i guess something
> is wrong with this, because with the 2.6.25 kernel, i had problems with
> debian too.

My laptop uses a Ricoh R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter, and a Ricoh
R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/ MSPro Host Adapter

I've not come across any Linux distro, yet, that can read MMC cards in
it. Yet, it does read SD cards, fine.

You appeared to have two questions in that post, though I'm not sure.
I'm responding just to the part about a MMC controller, I don't have an
answer for the boot freezing issue.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.15-80.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 05-25-2008, 12:46 PM
Thomas Spura

Tim schrieb:
> On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 00:04 +0200, Thomas Spura wrote:
>
>> I have a Samsung q45 with a ricoh mmc controler, and i guess something
>> is wrong with this, because with the 2.6.25 kernel, i had problems with
>> debian too.
>>

> My laptop uses a Ricoh R5C592 Memory Stick Bus Host Adapter, and a Ricoh
> R5C822 SD/SDIO/MMC/MS/ MSPro Host Adapter
>
> I've not come across any Linux distro, yet, that can read MMC cards in
> it. Yet, it does read SD cards, fine.
>
> You appeared to have two questions in that post, though I'm not sure.
> I'm responding just to the part about a MMC controller, I don't have an
> answer for the boot freezing issue.
>
> --
> [tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
> 2.6.23.15-80.fc7 i686 i386

I have exactly the same controller and Memory Stick Host Adapter, i
guess with our kernel it should be no problem to boot, but with fc9
there is a newer kernel and i don't know how to get an older one. Is
this even possible to build a new kernel from another system like debian
or within chroot? Maybe disabeling Ricoh in the config could make it...
Or what could it be besides it? Maybe problems with udev...?

Old 05-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Tim

On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 14:46 +0200, Thomas Spura wrote:
> Is this even possible to build a new kernel from another system like
> debian or within chroot? Maybe disabeling Ricoh in the config could
> make it... Or what could it be besides it? Maybe problems with
> udev...?

Just rebuild *a* kernel with your preferred options, if you want to.
But are you sure that its that device holding things up?

Remove any "quiet" options from the kernel line in the grub.conf file,
and watch the boot process. You'll get more messages without it. This
might help you.