Old 05-24-2008, 09:58 PM
dcw

Default Testing sound from kcontrol fails (no sound) with no apparent errors.

On Saturday 24 May 2008 4:41 pm, stan wrote:
> dcw wrote:
> > I posted this on the KDE mailing list and they reccommended that I
> > re-post on this list.
> >
> > Current setup:
> > Motherboard: M2A-VM has a connector for either ac97 or hd sound. I am
> > using ac97
> > Sound output: line output from computer to tv.
> > OS: Fedora 8 with all updates
> >
> > Tested for sound with the following:
> > 1) When using kcontrol to test sound, it fails with no apparent errors.
> > 2) When using aplay to test sound, it fails with no apparent errors.
>
> You could try running with the -v option,
> verbose.
[root@star9 ~]#aplay -v /mnt/sda2/usr/share/apps/korganizer/sounds/spinout.wav
Playing WAVE '/mnt/sda2/usr/share/apps/korganizer/sounds/spinout.wav' :
Unsigned 8 bit, Rate 5512 Hz, Mono
Plug PCM: Rate conversion PCM (48000, sformat=U8)
Its setup is:
stream : PLAYBACK
access : RW_INTERLEAVED
format : U8
subformat : STD
channels : 1
rate : 5512
exact rate : 5512 (5512/1)
msbits : 8
buffer_size : 1881
period_size : 117
period_time : 21333
tick_time : 0
tstamp_mode : NONE
period_step : 1
sleep_min : 0
avail_min : 117
xfer_align : 117
start_threshold : 1872
stop_threshold : 1881
silence_threshold: 0
silence_size : 0
boundary : 123273216
Slave: Route conversion PCM (sformat=S16_LE)
Transformation table:
0 <- 0
1 <- 0
Its setup is:
stream : PLAYBACK
access : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
format : U8
subformat : STD
channels : 1
rate : 48000
exact rate : 48000 (48000/1)
msbits : 8
buffer_size : 16384
period_size : 1024
period_time : 21333
tick_time : 0
tstamp_mode : NONE
period_step : 1
sleep_min : 0
avail_min : 1024
xfer_align : 1024
start_threshold : 16384
stop_threshold : 16384
silence_threshold: 0
silence_size : 0
boundary : 1073741824
Slave: Soft volume PCM
Control: PCM Playback Volume
min_dB: -51
max_dB: 0
resolution: 256
Its setup is:
stream : PLAYBACK
access : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
format : S16_LE
subformat : STD
channels : 2
rate : 48000
exact rate : 48000 (48000/1)
msbits : 16
buffer_size : 16384
period_size : 1024
period_time : 21333
tick_time : 0
tstamp_mode : NONE
period_step : 1
sleep_min : 0
avail_min : 1024
xfer_align : 1024
start_threshold : 16384
stop_threshold : 16384
silence_threshold: 0
silence_size : 0
boundary : 1073741824
Slave: Direct Stream Mixing PCM
Its setup is:
stream : PLAYBACK
access : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
format : S16_LE
subformat : STD
channels : 2
rate : 48000
exact rate : 48000 (48000/1)
msbits : 16
buffer_size : 16384
period_size : 1024
period_time : 21333
tick_time : 0
tstamp_mode : NONE
period_step : 1
sleep_min : 0
avail_min : 1024
xfer_align : 1024
start_threshold : 16384
stop_threshold : 16384
silence_threshold: 0
silence_size : 0
boundary : 1073741824
Hardware PCM card 0 'HDA ATI SB' device 1 subdevice 0
Its setup is:
stream : PLAYBACK
access : MMAP_INTERLEAVED
format : S16_LE
subformat : STD
channels : 2
rate : 48000
exact rate : 48000 (48000/1)
msbits : 16
buffer_size : 16384
period_size : 1024
period_time : 21333
tick_time : 1000
tstamp_mode : NONE
period_step : 1
sleep_min : 0
avail_min : 1024
xfer_align : 1024
start_threshold : 1
stop_threshold : 1073741824
silence_threshold: 0
silence_size : 1073741824
boundary : 1073741824

> Also run dmesg
> immediately after
> the failure to see if it logged any messages.
No apparent messages from dmesg

> > 3) When using system-config-soundcard, the sound works.
>
> This indicates a configuration issue. There would be no sound if alsa
> hadn't recognized your card.
>
> > 4) cat'ing a wav file to /dev/dsp works.
>
> OSS emulation, using alsa, another indication that sound is almost working.
>
> > In searching for an answer, one comment was made about pulseaudio causing
> > problems so I removed it. Sound test 1 and 2 from above still fail and
> > test 3 and 4 still work.
> >
> > I re-installed pulseaudio but it did not install as many rpms as the
> > remove process deleted.
> >
> > Unfortunately, I know very little about troubleshooting audio problems,
> > so any help will be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > I would have added configuration files but I do not know which ones would
> > be revelant.
> >
> > Let me know what additional information needs to be supplied.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > David
>
> Can you run the shell script at
> http://hg.alsa-project.org/alsa/raw-file/tip/alsa-info.sh
> and post the link to the output back to the list. It will scan your
> system for sound
> related information and post a summary to a web site. It will give you
> a link to the
> information on that web site.
link: http://pastebin.ca/1028275

Thanks,
David

Old 05-25-2008, 02:32 AM
Timothy Murphy

dcw wrote:

> Tested for sound with the following:
> 1) When using kcontrol to test sound, it fails with no apparent errors.

As a matter of interest, how did you use kcontrol to test sound?
What command precisely did you give?

Old 05-25-2008, 02:48 AM
dcw

On Saturday 24 May 2008 9:32 pm, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> dcw wrote:
> > Tested for sound with the following:
> > 1) When using kcontrol to test sound, it fails with no apparent errors.
>
> As a matter of interest, how did you use kcontrol to test sound?
> What command precisely did you give?
control center for kde is the program kcontrol.
after the the window comes up go to
sound & multimedia -> sound system
near the bottom is a button to 'test sound'.

David

Old 05-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Timothy Murphy

dcw wrote:

>> > Tested for sound with the following:
>> > 1) When using kcontrol to test sound, it fails with no apparent errors.

>> As a matter of interest, how did you use kcontrol to test sound?
>> What command precisely did you give?

> control center for kde is the program kcontrol.
> after the the window comes up go to
> sound & multimedia -> sound system
> near the bottom is a button to 'test sound'.

There is no such button on my Fedora-9 + KDE system, sadly.
Does anyone else have it (with Fedora-9)?