Old 05-24-2008, 09:45 PM
M A Young

Default Fedora 9 disk full problem

On Sat, 24 May 2008, f f wrote:

du said I have ~30gb in /var/log/httpd. now that was could have been
some log file... the problem is that i only installed the system
yesterday and just started apache for like 2-3 hours. anyway

It sounds like you have some apache configuration fault that is resulting
in out of control logging. I suggest you examine the logs and work out
what the root cause is.

all ok for 1-2 hours, now again disk full, but du says its ok

du adds up the sizes of the files it can see. If you have deleted files
that a process has open, they still take up space until that process is
ended, but du won't see them. Probably it is also worth forcing an fsck of
the file system, just to be on the safe side in case the problem is due to
disk corruption (though this is probably unlikely).

Michael Young

Old 05-24-2008, 10:06 PM
Brian Tillman

Try comparing the output of:

du -sh /var/log/httpd

and:

df -h /var/log/httpd

If the condition that Michael is talking about is occurring:

"If you have deleted files that a process has open, they still take
up space until that process is ended, but du won't see them. "

You'll see the space discrepancy when comparing the output of the two
above mentioned commands. (df measures filesystem blocks, while du
adds up space taken by files as listed in the inode table. Deleted
files that were being used by a process will not show in the inode
table, thus du won't include them. df will notice that the reserved
filesystem blocks held open by the process.)

Try restarting httpd, if that doesn't help, use fuser to determine
what process may still be reserving filesystem blocks.

Brian

du said I have ~30gb in /var/log/httpd. now that was could have
been some log file... the problem is that i only installed the
system yesterday and just started apache for like 2-3 hours. anyway

It sounds like you have some apache configuration fault that is
resulting in out of control logging. I suggest you examine the logs
and work out what the root cause is.

all ok for 1-2 hours, now again disk full, but du says its ok

du adds up the sizes of the files it can see. If you have deleted
files that a process has open, they still take up space until that
process is ended, but du won't see them. Probably it is also worth
forcing an fsck of the file system, just to be on the safe side in
case the problem is due to disk corruption (though this is probably
unlikely).

Michael Young

believed to be clean.

believed to be clean.

Old 05-25-2008, 04:09 AM
Craig White

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 13:45 -0700, f f wrote:
> It happened today, I was writing some code from Gnome and suddenly I couldn't save.
> I installed Fedora on a ide 40gb hdd so it couldn't be full...
> du said I have ~30gb in /var/log/httpd. now that was could have been some log file... the problem is that i only installed the system yesterday and just started apache for like 2-3 hours. anyway
> i deleted the logs and rebooted
>
> all ok for 1-2 hours, now again disk full, but du says its ok
>
> any ideeas?
----
maybe before you delete the log, you might want to read some of the log
file to get a clue what the problem is.

Craig