Old 05-24-2008, 09:29 PM
dcw

Default Testing sound from kcontrol fails (no sound) with no apparent errors.

I posted this on the KDE mailing list and they reccommended that I re-post on
this list.

Current setup:
Motherboard: M2A-VM has a connector for either ac97 or hd sound. I am using
ac97
Sound output: line output from computer to tv.
OS: Fedora 8 with all updates

Tested for sound with the following:
1) When using kcontrol to test sound, it fails with no apparent errors.
2) When using aplay to test sound, it fails with no apparent errors.
3) When using system-config-soundcard, the sound works.
4) cat'ing a wav file to /dev/dsp works.

In searching for an answer, one comment was made about pulseaudio causing
problems so I removed it. Sound test 1 and 2 from above still fail and test 3
and 4 still work.

I re-installed pulseaudio but it did not install as many rpms as the remove
process deleted.

Unfortunately, I know very little about troubleshooting audio problems, so any
help will be greatly appreciated.

I would have added configuration files but I do not know which ones would be
revelant.

Let me know what additional information needs to be supplied.

Thanks,

David