Old 05-24-2008, 08:55 PM
Beartooth Sciurivore

Default Weirdness with Fedora/XP upgrade -- update

On Fri, 23 May 2008 20:01:59 +0000, Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:

[....]
> So I put in the DVD from which I had successfully gotten F9 onto
> three machines, and told XP to reboot.
>
> It has done the same thing -- gone through the first few steps,
> only to sit there with a blank white screen.
>
> The monitor is new, a HP w2207h 1680x1050; but the other two PCs
> manage with it, both behind a KVM switch and directly connected. And the
> dual-boot machine is much the newest!
>
> What could be doing this, and how do I fix it??

I tried again, with the known good DVD and the known good
external USB DVD-drive. It did it again, and I let it go all night. Next
morning (today), still bare white screen.

I rebooted, and established that it still did boot fine into F8
as well as XP.

I tried it yet another time, using text mode. All went smoothly,
up to the point of installing Tomboy -- which it shouldn't install in an
upgrade, since that isn't in my F8.

That hung for a very long time. Finally it gave me the Anaconda
Bug, which I reported in another thread.

I tried to send the dump to another machine on my LAN; that
failed. I tried everything I could think of to get it to honor the choice
it pretended to offer -- store to disk. It wouldn't even let me tell it
to try.

I told it debug. It printed a lot of lines fast -- ending with :

IOError: [Errno 5] Input/output error

Then two or three blank lines. Then :

Entering debugger...
> /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/urlgrabber/grabber.py(1217)_do_grab()
-> new_fo_close()
(Pdb)

And there it sits.

How can I tell anaconda *NOT* to try to install Tomboy?

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.

Old 05-25-2008, 02:55 AM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 20:55 +0000, Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:

> How can I tell anaconda *NOT* to try to install Tomboy?

Last time something like that happened to me, I used an icepick. I felt
better afterward and had a smoke. <grins> Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 05-25-2008, 07:54 AM
Tim

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 20:55 +0000, Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:
> How can I tell anaconda *NOT* to try to install Tomboy?

Use a kickstart file (i.e. pre-configuration) with your install, and
exclude the tomboy package. Create the kickstart file on your current
install, it'll then be set up with your current config.

Read the manual, or ask the list for help with creating a kickstart
file, if you can't work out the manual.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.15-80.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 05-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 20:55 +0000, Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:
> On Fri, 23 May 2008 20:01:59 +0000, Beartooth Sciurivore wrote:
>
> [....]
> > So I put in the DVD from which I had successfully gotten F9 onto
> > three machines, and told XP to reboot.
> >
> > It has done the same thing -- gone through the first few steps,
> > only to sit there with a blank white screen.
> >
> > The monitor is new, a HP w2207h 1680x1050; but the other two PCs
> > manage with it, both behind a KVM switch and directly connected. And the
> > dual-boot machine is much the newest!
> >
> > What could be doing this, and how do I fix it??
>
> I tried again, with the known good DVD and the known good
> external USB DVD-drive. It did it again, and I let it go all night. Next
> morning (today), still bare white screen.
>
> I rebooted, and established that it still did boot fine into F8
> as well as XP.
>
> I tried it yet another time, using text mode. All went smoothly,
> up to the point of installing Tomboy -- which it shouldn't install in an
> upgrade, since that isn't in my F8.
Are you sure it is tue that onnly programs that are in F8 are installed
in F9 if you do an upgrade?

Old 05-25-2008, 01:24 PM
David Boles

Aaron Konstam wrote:

[...]

As I understand it Anaconda will upgrade what is 'there' along with the
dependencies from the new packages. If Tomboy is not in the original install
but some package in the upgrade depends on Tomboy you will get Tomboy.

--

David