Old 05-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Jim

Default USB Ethernet 10/100 dongles ??

Using FC8 on i386
Does A USB dongle for a 10/100 ethernet work on Fedora ?
Will they all or just some of them work ?
Anybody have one that works, want name brands ?
I have a Gateway computer that doesn't have ethernet port and the
standard ethernet cards are to big for this computer, it take a much
smaller cards in the PCI slots.

Old 05-24-2008, 11:09 PM
fred smith

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 01:41:30PM -0400, Jim wrote:
> Using FC8 on i386
> Does A USB dongle for a 10/100 ethernet work on Fedora ?
> Will they all or just some of them work ?
> Anybody have one that works, want name brands ?
> I have a Gateway computer that doesn't have ethernet port and the
> standard ethernet cards are to big for this computer, it take a much
> smaller cards in the PCI slots.

Well, I gotta admit I don't know anything about usb==>network adaptors.

but I've got several cheapo network cards around here using a Realtek
RTL8139 chipset. some of them are little more than an inch tall and not
much longer than required to plug into the PCI slot. The good news is
that they;ve always worked in all my Linux boxen (though I've not
personally used 'em with a recent Fedora), and even better they tend
to be dirt cheap. I've gotten some of 'em for as little as ten or
twelve bucks.

Surely something like that would fit your system?

The Lord detests the way of the wicked

Old 05-25-2008, 07:42 AM
Tim

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 13:41 -0400, Jim wrote:
> I have a Gateway computer that doesn't have ethernet port and the
> standard ethernet cards are to big for this computer, it take a much
> smaller cards in the PCI slots.

I'd second Fred's suggestion. See if you can find a half-height PCI
card. Any decent computer shop ought to be able to help you with that,
and it'd be better than a USB dongle (no crappy thing sticking out,
falling out, and breaking, and you'd get better throughput).

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.15-80.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Erik Slagter

Tim wrote:

I have a Gateway computer that doesn't have ethernet port and the
standard ethernet cards are to big for this computer, it take a much
smaller cards in the PCI slots.

I'd second Fred's suggestion. See if you can find a half-height PCI
card. Any decent computer shop ought to be able to help you with that,
and it'd be better than a USB dongle (no crappy thing sticking out,
falling out, and breaking, and you'd get better throughput).

Thirded. Some USB ethernet nics do more or less work with linux (but
that's a smal part of them) but they suck, really (from experience...)