-   -   Amarock - wma format questions (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/94625-amarock-wma-format-questions.html)

"Daniel B. Thurman" 05-24-2008 03:33 PM

Amarock - wma format questions

I have several wma file that plays fine on amarock, but then again there
are some wma files that won't play at all. In the ones that fail, I get a
message saying: "There is no available decoder", it does not say
anything else.

>From what I read about wma format on wiki - there were several kinds
of releases, specifically they talk about 4 distinct formats - none which
are compatable wrt to each other, so would that mean one would need
the 4 different codecs when playing "wma" tagged files? Geez.

The thing here, is that these wma files plays on windoes media player
just fine, but not amarock - sigh.

Oh yeah - another question - why is it of the *many* windows/linux
wma to mp3 converters fail to convert? Everything from "specificed
source format could not be read", or "You need to update to directx 8.1
or above", or "Missing/corrupted keys (DRM)".

Does anyone recommend a good wma to mp3 converter? I would like
to convert all of my wma file into mp3 for universal compatability.

Thanks-
Dan

stan 05-24-2008 04:00 PM

Daniel B. Thurman wrote:

I have several wma file that plays fine on amarock, but then again there
are some wma files that won't play at all. In the ones that fail, I get a
message saying: "There is no available decoder", it does not say
anything else.

>From what I read about wma format on wiki - there were several kinds
of releases, specifically they talk about 4 distinct formats - none which
are compatable wrt to each other, so would that mean one would need
the 4 different codecs when playing "wma" tagged files? Geez.

That is determined by microsoft. They must have mutated wma through 4
incarnations.

The thing here, is that these wma files plays on windoes media player
just fine, but not amarock - sigh.

They were created by windows (I think wma stands for windows multimedia
audio) so
it is not surprising they are supported there. No doubt the codecs are
proprietary.

Oh yeah - another question - why is it of the *many* windows/linux
wma to mp3 converters fail to convert? Everything from "specificed
source format could not be read", or "You need to update to directx 8.1
or above", or "Missing/corrupted keys (DRM)".

Again, missing codecs. I think if you get the codecs from mplayer you
will be OK
but I'm not sure. I very rarely encounter wma. It can play wmv though,
so likely

has the codes for wma. Other possibilities are sox (command line),
xine, xmms.

Does anyone recommend a good wma to mp3 converter? I would like
to convert all of my wma file into mp3 for universal compatability.

You're more likely to find this for windows. So you would run the
conversion on windows where
the codecs for wma were written by microsoft. A search should find lots
of candidates.

Thanks-
Dan

Ric Moore 05-25-2008 03:25 AM

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 09:00 -0700, stan wrote:
> Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> > I have several wma file that plays fine on amarock, but then again there
> > are some wma files that won't play at all. In the ones that fail, I get a
> > message saying: "There is no available decoder", it does not say
> > anything else.

> You're more likely to find this for windows. So you would run the
> conversion on windows where
> the codecs for wma were written by microsoft. A search should find lots
> of candidates.

Just for grins, I located several wma files and mplayer plays them just
fine. I would think that would convert them to whatever you want if you
can grasp the mplayer command line.

Huh, just tried that file with Amarok and it plays. So, I went back to
command line mplayer and it says this about that file:

Playing amrdiab-walaalabalo.wma.
ASF file format detected.
Clip info:
name: Wala Ala Balo
author: Amr Diab
copyright: � 2000-2001 RomanySaad.com
comments:
Opening audio decoder: [ffmpeg] FFmpeg/libavcodec audio decoders
AUDIO: 44100 Hz, 1 ch, s16le, 32.0 kbit/4.54% (ratio: 4003->88200)
Selected audio codec: [ffwmav2] afm: ffmpeg (DivX audio v2 (FFmpeg))

So, ffmpeg is handling it. I use ffmpeg and all of it's add-ons from
freshrpms, as I had problems with livna in the past. I would suggest you
try command line mplayer on your file and see if it plays and if it is
identified as ASF file format. God only knows what wma was when my file
was created in 2001 and what it is now. But, if all things match up,
it's doable with Amarok. And ffmpeg will convert just about anything to
anything else. Ric

p/s Amr Diab rocks if you like Eastern Music in a progressive rock
style. He's like Elvis to the new westernized Saudi crowd. Just google,
get this file and see if it'll play on your current Amarok. Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Tim 05-25-2008 07:38 AM

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 23:25 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> Just for grins, I located several wma files and mplayer plays them
> just fine.

There's some WMA files that mplayer will handle, and others that it will
not.

e.g. From http://www.theatreorgans.com/walnuthill/eugenehayek.htm
download http://www.theatreorgans.com/walnuthill/Hayek_Five_Foot_Two.wma

And it wouldn't play, for me. Yet, lots of other WMA files from that
page worked fine.

It wanted to make use of wma9dmod.dll (which it can't find). I do have
it in /usr/local/lib/codecs/wma9dmod.dll (which is supposed to be one of
the places that it will look).

If you find it won't play a file, try playing from the command line to
see what errors are produced, then seeing if you can give it a helping
hand. Perhaps by symlinking from the codec directory to one or two
other places players look by default. Here's three locations that I
know about:

/usr/lib/codecs/
/usr/local/lib/codecs/
/usr/local/lib/win32/

Seeing as I've got mine in /usr/local/lib/codecs/, something like the
following might do the trick for mplayer (it does for me), and for other
programs that look for codecs in one or more of those places:

# remove *my* empty directory, then replace with link to one with codecs
rmdir /usr/lib/codecs
ln -s /usr/local/lib/codecs /usr/lib/codecs

# remove *my* empty directory, then replace with link to one with codecs
rmdir /usr/local/lib/win32
ln -s /usr/local/lib/codecs /usr/local/lib/win32

As I recall, I installed my extra codecs from the mplayer codec tarball
from the mplayer website, according to their instructions. Mine weren't
installed from an RPM.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.15-80.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.

Ric Moore 05-26-2008 05:38 AM

On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 17:08 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 23:25 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> > Just for grins, I located several wma files and mplayer plays them
> > just fine.
>
> There's some WMA files that mplayer will handle, and others that it will
> not.
>
> e.g. From http://www.theatreorgans.com/walnuthill/eugenehayek.htm
> download http://www.theatreorgans.com/walnuthill/Hayek_Five_Foot_Two.wma
>
> And it wouldn't play, for me. Yet, lots of other WMA files from that
> page worked fine.
>
> It wanted to make use of wma9dmod.dll (which it can't find). I do have
> it in /usr/local/lib/codecs/wma9dmod.dll (which is supposed to be one of
> the places that it will look).
>
> If you find it won't play a file, try playing from the command line to
> see what errors are produced, then seeing if you can give it a helping
> hand. Perhaps by symlinking from the codec directory to one or two
> other places players look by default. Here's three locations that I
> know about:
>
> /usr/lib/codecs/
> /usr/local/lib/codecs/
> /usr/local/lib/win32/

You forgot /usr/lib/win32

I use all four and put the actual files in /usr/lib/codecs and then link
the rest to that. Why? I've seen them all mentioned, at one time or
another, so just like something so technologically advanced that you
can't distinguish it from magic, I cover all the bases! I'll try that
link and get back with you here. :) Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Tim 05-26-2008 07:34 AM

Amarock - wma format questions

Tim:
>> Here's three locations that I know about:
>>
>> /usr/lib/codecs/
>> /usr/local/lib/codecs/
>> /usr/local/lib/win32/

Ric Moore:
> You forgot /usr/lib/win32

I didn't know about that one, & it's not on my system. I don't suppose
you recall what looks there, or what advises about using that location?

> I use all four and put the actual files in /usr/lib/codecs

I picked on /usr/local/lib/codecs since I wasn't using RPM to install
them, just for convention's sake (a /usr/local/ path for stuff you've
done yourself).

Doesn't help with Rhythmbox, though. That uses gstreamer plugins,
instead, and they didn't cover the WMA (Windows Molested Audio) files
that threw at it. Just as well that I don't really like using that
program.

Doesn't help with XMMS, and I do like using that. Nor Audacity, but not
too keen on it, either. Mplayer being the only thing I've found, so
far, that will use codecs in any of these locations.

Tim 05-26-2008 07:36 AM

Amarock - wma format questions

On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 17:08 +0930, Tim wrote:
> And it wouldn't play, for me. Yet, lots of other WMA files from that
> page worked fine.

I should have edited before posting, it wouldn't play until I messed
with symlinking the codec directory.