FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-24-2008, 06:13 AM
Andrea
 
Default KDE: system settings via command line

Does anybody know how to access the system settings in KDE 4 via the command line?
My issue is that the screensaver does not start until I "Apply" it.
I can do it via the GUI each time I log in, but it is annoying.
A script would be much easier.

Andrea

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-24-2008, 07:05 AM
"Kelly Miller"
 
Default KDE: system settings via command line

I can tell you that the command for running the System Settings is systemsettings, and that each component should theoretically be startable by callling 'kcmshell (name of module)', which you can find out by looking in /usr/lib/kde4 (the library will be called kcm_(name of module).so).* However, I suggest looking into launching XScreensaver at startup instead (IIRC, KDE actually uses XScreensaver in the background).


On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 2:13 AM, Andrea <mariofutire@googlemail.com> wrote:

Does anybody know how to access the system settings in KDE 4 via the command line?

My issue is that the screensaver does not start until I "Apply" it.

I can do it via the GUI each time I log in, but it is annoying.

A script would be much easier.



Andrea



--

fedora-list mailing list

fedora-list@redhat.com

To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list



--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Andrea
 
Default KDE: system settings via command line

Kelly Miller wrote:
I can tell you that the command for running the System Settings is
systemsettings, and that each component should theoretically be
startable by callling 'kcmshell (name of module)', which you can find
out by looking in /usr/lib/kde4 (the library will be called kcm_(name of
module).so).


I've tried

kcmshell /usr/lib/kde4/kcm_screensaver.so

and nothing happens.
Is it supposed to show anything?

However, I suggest looking into launching XScreensaver at

startup instead (IIRC, KDE actually uses XScreensaver in the background).



Not sure how to proceed here, what do you mean?

Andrea

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-24-2008, 08:33 AM
Andrea
 
Default KDE: system settings via command line

Kelly Miller wrote:
I can tell you that the command for running the System Settings is
systemsettings, and that each component should theoretically be
startable by callling 'kcmshell (name of module)', which you can find
out by looking in /usr/lib/kde4 (the library will be called kcm_(name of
module).so).


I've tried

kcmshell /usr/lib/kde4/kcm_screensaver.so

and nothing happens.
Is it supposed to show anything?

However, I suggest looking into launching XScreensaver at

startup instead (IIRC, KDE actually uses XScreensaver in the background).



Not sure how to proceed here, what do you mean?

Andrea

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-24-2008, 08:42 AM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default KDE: system settings via command line

Andrea <mariofutire <at> googlemail.com> writes:
> kcmshell /usr/lib/kde4/kcm_screensaver.so
>
> and nothing happens.
> Is it supposed to show anything?

No, the correct syntax is:
kcmshell4 kcm_screensaver

Kevin Kofler

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Andrea
 
Default KDE: system settings via command line

Kevin Kofler wrote:

Andrea <mariofutire <at> googlemail.com> writes:

kcmshell /usr/lib/kde4/kcm_screensaver.so

and nothing happens.
Is it supposed to show anything?


No, the correct syntax is:
kcmshell4 kcm_screensaver

Kevin Kofler



Did you mean

kcmshell4 screensaver

which opens the dialog box for the screensaver's settings.
Now, how do I write a script to disable screensaver, and reenable it? (without using the mouse)

Thanks

Andrea

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Andrea
 
Default KDE: system settings via command line

Kevin Kofler wrote:

Andrea <mariofutire <at> googlemail.com> writes:

kcmshell /usr/lib/kde4/kcm_screensaver.so

and nothing happens.
Is it supposed to show anything?


No, the correct syntax is:
kcmshell4 kcm_screensaver

Kevin Kofler



Did you mean

kcmshell4 screensaver

which opens the dialog box for the screensaver's settings.
Now, how do I write a script to disable screensaver, and reenable it? (without using the mouse)

Thanks

Andrea

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:49 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org