-   -   KDE: system settings via command line (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/94446-kde-system-settings-via-command-line.html)

Andrea 05-24-2008 06:13 AM

KDE: system settings via command line

Does anybody know how to access the system settings in KDE 4 via the command line?
My issue is that the screensaver does not start until I "Apply" it.
I can do it via the GUI each time I log in, but it is annoying.
A script would be much easier.

Andrea

Andrea 05-24-2008 08:33 AM

Kelly Miller wrote:
I can tell you that the command for running the System Settings is
systemsettings, and that each component should theoretically be
startable by callling 'kcmshell (name of module)', which you can find
out by looking in /usr/lib/kde4 (the library will be called kcm_(name of
module).so).

I've tried

kcmshell /usr/lib/kde4/kcm_screensaver.so

and nothing happens.
Is it supposed to show anything?

However, I suggest looking into launching XScreensaver at

startup instead (IIRC, KDE actually uses XScreensaver in the background).

Not sure how to proceed here, what do you mean?

Andrea

Kevin Kofler 05-24-2008 08:42 AM

Andrea <mariofutire <at> googlemail.com> writes:
> kcmshell /usr/lib/kde4/kcm_screensaver.so
>
> and nothing happens.
> Is it supposed to show anything?

No, the correct syntax is:
kcmshell4 kcm_screensaver

Kevin Kofler

Andrea 05-24-2008 09:23 AM

Kevin Kofler wrote:

Andrea <mariofutire <at> googlemail.com> writes:

kcmshell /usr/lib/kde4/kcm_screensaver.so

and nothing happens.
Is it supposed to show anything?

No, the correct syntax is:
kcmshell4 kcm_screensaver

Kevin Kofler

Did you mean

kcmshell4 screensaver

which opens the dialog box for the screensaver's settings.
Now, how do I write a script to disable screensaver, and reenable it? (without using the mouse)

Thanks

Andrea