Old 05-24-2008, 05:02 AM
Ric Moore

Default alsaconf for Fedora

Is there any particular reason that alsaconf is not included in Fedora?
If it works and it's simple, I'd like to see it. I'm getting a blooming
headache reading the "howtos" to set up 6 channel sound. I've used
kasound in the past and it worked well. Now, it's not doing the trick
for whatever reason. Setting up speakers shouldn't be a weekend's worth
of work, if there is a nice gentle-to-the-user gui out there. Thanx! Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 05-24-2008, 04:50 PM
stan

Ric Moore wrote:

Is there any particular reason that alsaconf is not included in Fedora?
If it works and it's simple, I'd like to see it. I'm getting a blooming
headache reading the "howtos" to set up 6 channel sound. I've used
kasound in the past and it worked well. Now, it's not doing the trick
for whatever reason. Setting up speakers shouldn't be a weekend's worth
of work, if there is a nice gentle-to-the-user gui out there. Thanx! Ric

I can't speak to why alsaconf is not included. But if your sound card
supports
5.1, alsa should already have created a shortcut to use it. At a
command line
run aplay -lLv. If you see something in the output that looks like
surround51,

that means that is the device you have to use to play 5.1.

In your home directory, create a file called .asoundrc. In that file
put this

code.

pcm.!default {
surround51
}
ctl.!default {
surround51
}

This should make surround 5.1 your default sound configuration. You can
test this

by running

aplay -D default some.wav

Sound should come from all speakers.

You can test whether surround51 is defined by running

aplay -D surround51 some.wav

Here is the link I consulted for this:
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc

I haven't tested this, so I don't know that it works. In particular,
I'm not sure of the syntax
to make surround51 the default above, though it should be correct.
Anyhow, it is easy to

test, and if it doesn't work, no harm done.

Old 05-25-2008, 03:08 AM
Ric Moore

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 09:50 -0700, stan wrote:
> Ric Moore wrote:
> > Is there any particular reason that alsaconf is not included in Fedora?
> > If it works and it's simple, I'd like to see it. I'm getting a blooming
> > headache reading the "howtos" to set up 6 channel sound. I've used
> > kasound in the past and it worked well. Now, it's not doing the trick
> > for whatever reason. Setting up speakers shouldn't be a weekend's worth
> > of work, if there is a nice gentle-to-the-user gui out there. Thanx! Ric
> >

> I can't speak to why alsaconf is not included. But if your sound card
> supports
> 5.1, alsa should already have created a shortcut to use it. At a
> command line
> run aplay -lLv. If you see something in the output that looks like
> surround51,
> that means that is the device you have to use to play 5.1.
>
> In your home directory, create a file called .asoundrc. In that file
> put this
> code.
>
> pcm.!default {
> surround51
> }
> ctl.!default {
> surround51
> }
>
> This should make surround 5.1 your default sound configuration. You can
> test this
> by running
>
> aplay -D default some.wav
>
> Sound should come from all speakers.
>
> You can test whether surround51 is defined by running
>
> aplay -D surround51 some.wav
>
> Here is the link I consulted for this:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Asoundrc

Yup, read that one. I have 6 speakers (6.0) My Ali Corp M5455 has
speaker-out, line-out and line-in. But, you can plug stereo speakers
into all three and with the right settings, get nice front, middle, rear
out. kasound worked great until the last update. It would generate the
correct .asoundrc file for you. Really sweet app, but it hasn't been
supported for a couple of years now and is long in the tooth. I was just
hoping to find a nice little gui, tell it what I have, and let it edit
the file for me. You know, just like Windows. <someone shoot me for
saying that! >

But I did google and found quite a few methods of composing
the .asoundrc file. So, I found an rpm for alsaconf but it was for Suse
or Mandrake and requires rpms we don't have so I scrapped that notion.
So, being as the alsa crowd has a gui-configuration scheme, it would be
nice to have it for Fedora. Thank you again for your response, I'll give
it a go and see what happens! Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar

Old 05-25-2008, 11:15 PM
stan

Ric Moore wrote:

I have 6 speakers (6.0) My Ali Corp M5455 has
speaker-out, line-out and line-in. But, you can plug stereo speakers
into all three and with the right settings, get nice front, middle, rear
out. kasound worked great until the last update. It would generate the
correct .asoundrc file for you. Really sweet app, but it hasn't been
supported for a couple of years now and is long in the tooth. I was just
hoping to find a nice little gui, tell it what I have, and let it edit
the file for me. You know, just like Windows. <someone shoot me for
saying that! >
That's how sound should be, and probably will be in a few years. Video
setup used to involve things like mode lines and horizontal and vertical
scan frequencies, etc. Now all that is in program logic and unless you
want to you don't have to look at it.

But I did google and found quite a few methods of composing
the .asoundrc file. So, I found an rpm for alsaconf but it was for Suse
or Mandrake and requires rpms we don't have so I scrapped that notion.
So, being as the alsa crowd has a gui-configuration scheme, it would be
nice to have it for Fedora. Thank you again for your response, I'll give
it a go and see what happens! Ric

It is probably obsolete. When alsa sets up, it should automatically
configure your card correctly. That means with something called
surround60 in your case instead of surround51. It wouldn't be hard to
map stereo to 6 speakers but splitting the sound into frequencies would
be missing unless alsa has builtin fft. If it does, I'm not familiar
with it.

You could try this in your .asoundrc

# This creates a 6 channel interleaved pcm stream from two stereo channels
# Assuming that they are interleaved and 2 is middle left, 4 is rear left.

pcm.surround60 {
type route;
ttable.0.0 0;
ttable.1.1 1;