Old 05-24-2008, 03:33 AM
Bill Davidsen

Default Epson CX7400 printer and FC9

The latest version of gutenprint is supposedly able to support this
printer. Any idea where I find that? If there is one issue with Linux
it's that by the time printer and scanner hardware is supported it's no
longer in production. I can't count how many scanners I have bought
(new) which just didn't work, and by the time they worked the new model
or new firmware was out and I couldn't buy the one that works.

Anyway, I would like to use this setup because it's quite neat but
totally unsupported.

Alternatively, if I could use the USB printer and scanner directly from
Windows under kvm without causing the working system printers to die, I
would do that. Last time I tried the printer worked but the rest of the
system printers hung after I did it. :-(

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 05-24-2008, 11:10 PM
dpet

On Fri, 23 May 2008 23:23:15 -0400 (EDT)
fedora-list-request@redhat.com wrote:

> The latest version of gutenprint is supposedly able to support this
> printer. Any idea where I find that? If there is one issue with Linux
> it's that by the time printer and scanner hardware is supported it's
> no longer in production. I can't count how many scanners I have
> bought (new) which just didn't work, and by the time they worked the
> new model or new firmware was out and I couldn't buy the one that
> works.
>
> Anyway, I would like to use this setup because it's quite neat but
> totally unsupported.
>
> Alternatively, if I could use the USB printer and scanner directly
> from Windows under kvm without causing the working system printers to
> die, I would do that. Last time I tried the printer worked but the
> rest of the system printers hung after I did it. :-(

Do you mean that the scan and print drivers at:

http://avasys.jp/hp/menu000000500/hpg000000442.htm

are not suitable for you?

Regards

Old 05-26-2008, 04:53 PM
Bill Davidsen

dpet wrote:

[...]

The list of supported o/s (click "supported OS" button) ends at RH9 or
FC3, and doesn't include CX7400. So I guess that would be a "no," or at
least "not obviously." The latest gutenprint-cups supposedly includes
CX7400, but that's clearly not the one on rawhide, which picks the 7700
driver which spews paper as long as there is any.

I was hoping for a drop-in gutenprint RPM from a 3rd party repository.

If you have some deep link to the site and a version for FC9 I'd love to
have it. I just don't want to screw up the print system yet again to the
point where the other printers don't work.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>

Old 05-27-2008, 02:49 AM
Bill Davidsen

dpet wrote:

[...]

The rpm provided for my os and revision is 1.0.3-1 and has a boatload of
dependencies on library versions from FC6. While their documentation
suggest ignoring that, I don't think that getting rid of the error
messages will make it work better.

I appreciate the idea, but I think I'll pass on finding out what would
happen with calls to missing libraries after forcing an install.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>