Old 05-23-2008, 10:31 PM
Dennis Gilmore

Default Sun java plugin on FC9 x64 (with 32 bit firefox)

On Friday 23 May 2008, John Priddy wrote:
> Has anyone been able to get this to work on FC9 x64?
>
> I have installed jre-6u6-linux-i586.bin, then overwrote various binaries
> from jre-6u6-linux-x64.bin. Then using yum I removed 64 bit firefox,
> installed 32, and then linked
> /usr/java/jre1.6.0_06/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so in
> /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins . I load up firefox, and i see it under
> aboutlugins. But no matter what java applet I try to use with it, it
> dumps on itself -- Am I missing some other required libraries here?
>
> Thanks
>
> John

why not use java-1.6.0-openjdk provided with fedora? it works just fine in
64bit firefox as a native 64bit plugin.

Dennis

Old 05-23-2008, 11:20 PM
Francis Earl

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 17:31 -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Friday 23 May 2008, John Priddy wrote:
> > Has anyone been able to get this to work on FC9 x64?
> >
> > I have installed jre-6u6-linux-i586.bin, then overwrote various binaries
> > from jre-6u6-linux-x64.bin. Then using yum I removed 64 bit firefox,
> > installed 32, and then linked
> > /usr/java/jre1.6.0_06/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so in
> > /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins . I load up firefox, and i see it under
> > aboutlugins. But no matter what java applet I try to use with it, it
> > dumps on itself -- Am I missing some other required libraries here?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > John
>
> why not use java-1.6.0-openjdk provided with fedora? it works just fine in
> 64bit firefox as a native 64bit plugin.

It doesn't work for popular sites like games.yahoo.com. I wish I could
figure out why... been trying to get it working since test3 of Fedora 8.

They transferred all plugin capability to nspluginwrapper on all archs
also, which of course doesn't even support java. I'm not entirely sure
why/how it even shows up in aboutlugins

I guess I'm asking if anyone knows what magic is required for that all
to function, has anyone gotten java to work on games.yahoo.com with
Fedora 8/9?

Old 05-24-2008, 02:23 AM
John Priddy

Agreed. I would love to use an oss version of java if possible.
Unfortunately some of the applets just don't work as expected -- be it
because the oss java isn't working right or the silly applets I am using
test for specific version numbers -- I don't much care. Clearly its
pretty ridiculous that sun has still not released a compatible plugin at
this point (see the 'bug' reports for the latest linux plugin), but I
digress... I have an i386 version of FC9 here that works with this 32
bit version of the java plugin and these applets work on it. Bottom
line -- I want the same on 64 bit if possible. Is there a way to have a
64bit FC9 os running while having the sun branded java plugin working?
I am willing to jump through as many hoops as possible, assuming its not
'reinsall with i386'. Btw nswrapper clearly states they do not support
sun java.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:12 AM
John Priddy

Solved. Going to answer my own question here in the hopes it might save
someone else the trouble....

1. Remove 64bit version of firefox
2. Install 32bit version of firefox
3. Install _ONLY_ 32bit java version (jre-1_5_0_14-linux-i586.bin and/or
jre-6u6-linux-i586.bin)

4. Use 'alternatives' or manually symlink as you normally would

* Basically for step 3 ignore the sun documentation that states you must
install the amd/64 package additionally.