Old 05-23-2008, 09:18 PM
"Brian C. Huffman"

Default F9 Login theme

Does anyone know how to change the login theme for F9?* It's extremely bland by default (not to mention that even though I changed my user icon in the personal preferences it doesn't show up that way in the greeter).

I downloaded the fedorainfinity theme for gdm, but I don't see how to make it take effect.

Thanks,
Brian

Old 05-25-2008, 06:38 AM
Kevin Kofler

Brian C. Huffman <bhuffman <at> graze.net> writes:
> I downloaded the fedorainfinity theme for gdm, but I don't see how to make it
> take effect.

You can't, GDM in Fedora 9 is completely rewritten, so themes written for the
version in Fedora 8 will not work with the version in F9.

Kevin Kofler

Old 05-26-2008, 11:51 PM
"Brian C. Huffman"

On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 06:38 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Brian C. Huffman <bhuffman <at> graze.net> writes:
> > I downloaded the fedorainfinity theme for gdm, but I don't see how to make it
> > take effect.
>
> You can't, GDM in Fedora 9 is completely rewritten, so themes written for the
> version in Fedora 8 will not work with the version in F9.
>
> Kevin Kofler

So basically we're stuck with a substandard gdm/login for now that
doesn't match other themes like screensaver w/ system theme.

Nice.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:46 AM
David Boles

Brian C. Huffman wrote:

Brian C. Huffman <bhuffman <at> graze.net> writes:

I downloaded the fedorainfinity theme for gdm, but I don't see how to make it
take effect.
You can't, GDM in Fedora 9 is completely rewritten, so themes written for the
version in Fedora 8 will not work with the version in F9.

Kevin Kofler

So basically we're stuck with a substandard gdm/login for now that
doesn't match other themes like screensaver w/ system theme.

Nice.

No. You have a 'work in progress' login application.

If this really, really upsets you may I say that perhaps *before you*
installed/upgraded to Fedora 9 you should have done just a little research first?

--

David

Old 05-27-2008, 01:02 AM

On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 20:46 -0400, David Boles wrote:
> Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> > So basically we're stuck with a substandard gdm/login for now that
> > doesn't match other themes like screensaver w/ system theme.
> >
> > Nice.
>
> No. You have a 'work in progress' login application.
>
> If this really, really upsets you may I say that perhaps *before you*
> installed/upgraded to Fedora 9 you should have done just a little research first?

considering how new f9 is and all, i would say he is still
getting more than his money's worth. if login theme is only
complaint, he 'bought a bargain.

why bother with or worry about gdm or kdm when you can 'init 3'.
then have each user shelled into a desktop.

cheers.

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 05-27-2008, 01:23 AM
"Brian C. Huffman"

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 01:02 +0000, g wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 20:46 -0400, David Boles wrote:
> > Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> > > So basically we're stuck with a substandard gdm/login for now that
> > > doesn't match other themes like screensaver w/ system theme.
> > >
> > > Nice.
> >
> > No. You have a 'work in progress' login application.
> >
> > If this really, really upsets you may I say that perhaps *before you*
> > installed/upgraded to Fedora 9 you should have done just a little research first?
>
> considering how new f9 is and all, i would say he is still
> getting more than his money's worth. if login theme is only
> complaint, he 'bought a bargain.
>
> why bother with or worry about gdm or kdm when you can 'init 3'.
> then have each user shelled into a desktop.

Everyone relax. I've been a longtime linux user - slackware back when
you needed to download like 20 3 1/2" disks. :-) I'm not a newbie
complaining. I just expected a little something more from a release.
It's obvious that RedHat is not taking *this* codebase as a basis for
their Enterprise Desktop. :-)

But that's ok. I'll still happily run it - I was just a little
surprised and was wondering if there was anyone that had some tricks up
their sleaves that would make the login more similar to the theme.

-b

Old 05-27-2008, 01:40 AM
David Boles

g wrote:

So basically we're stuck with a substandard gdm/login for now that
doesn't match other themes like screensaver w/ system theme.

Nice.

No. You have a 'work in progress' login application.

If this really, really upsets you may I say that perhaps *before you*
installed/upgraded to Fedora 9 you should have done just a little research first?

considering how new f9 is and all, i would say he is still
getting more than his money's worth. if login theme is only
complaint, he 'bought a bargain.

why bother with or worry about gdm or kdm when you can 'init 3'.
then have each user shelled into a desktop.

cheers.

;-)

Ya mean that he paid a fair price for what he has???

--

David

Old 05-27-2008, 01:45 AM
David Boles

Brian C. Huffman wrote:

Everyone relax. I've been a longtime linux user - slackware back when
you needed to download like 20 3 1/2" disks. :-) I'm not a newbie
complaining. I just expected a little something more from a release.
It's obvious that RedHat is not taking *this* codebase as a basis for
their Enterprise Desktop. :-)

But that's ok. I'll still happily run it - I was just a little
surprised and was wondering if there was anyone that had some tricks up
their sleaves that would make the login more similar to the theme.

If you had been following Rawhide, and I would not have expected you to do
that, you would have seen many changes and such during the processes.

I think that all of the 'eye candy' and the 'my way' stuff will come back
eventually.

As I said. This is work-in-progress. And you get to see the new 'stuff' as it
comes out.
--

David

Old 05-27-2008, 03:00 AM

On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 21:23 -0400, Brian C. Huffman wrote:
> > I'm not a newbie complaining.

lol.

like sounded like?

> > I just expected a little something more from a release.

may be they are trying to see what you will put up with, ie, aka, bg&c.

> It's obvious that RedHat is not taking *this* codebase as a basis for
> their Enterprise Desktop. :-)

beta testers, as this is what fedora users really are, of which i am
glad to be getting back among this group of, will put up with a lot,
and complain for a while. then after a few patches and updates, all
will smooth out.

tock becomes tick. for it is well known, what is wrong will get fixed,
or replaced. more important first.

> But that's ok.

of course it is.

> > I'll still happily run it

i hope to be soon. i am jumping from fc3 into f8,
and i look forward to f9.

> - I was just a little
> surprised and was wondering if there was anyone that had some tricks up
> their sleaves

'tricks up their sleeves '. now that is a good one.

let them get 'sleeves down' so they can hide something.

> that would make the login more similar to the theme.

as long as you have to login, set boot to 'init 3'. then you will be
even more thankful and less irritated when it is fixed.

have you checked 'kdm'?

smile.

remember: non procrastination of infinitesimal.

--

tc,hago.

.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:00 AM

On Mon, 2008-05-26 at 21:40 -0400, David Boles wrote:
> Ya mean that he paid a fair price for what he has???

well, sure, he is out a blank dvd that he could have put a movie on,
or a lot of data backup, not to mention 'nudie pixs'.

but what the heck, how much is a man out now a days for a blank dvd?

i now only buy cd for music. dvd for data, movie, boot cd/dvd.iso.

plastic is cheep. gasoline is expensive.

--

tc,hago.

.