Old 11-30-2007, 06:27 PM
"Ashley M. Kirchner"

Default Recursive diff?

What's the best way to run diff against two folders, comparing every
single file in each one?

Basically we're trying to figure out what changes have been made
between a backup folder and a current one. They both contain folders
within folders and files within them.

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.

Old 11-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Martin Marques

Ashley M. Kirchner escribió:

What's the best way to run diff against two folders, comparing every
single file in each one?

Basically we're trying to figure out what changes have been made
between a backup folder and a current one. They both contain folders
within folders and files within them.

diff -r doesn't help you?

Old 11-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Todd Zullinger

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> What's the best way to run diff against two folders, comparing every
> single file in each one?

Well, "best way" is very subjective.

I think you'll find "diff -uNr /path1 /path2" will work reasonably
well.

You can omit the -N and diff won't show you the full file contents for
files in one path but not in the other (you'll just see a line like
"file foo not in bar").

You may also want to use some of the options to suppress whitespace
differences from being displayed (-wbB is a common combination).

Old 11-30-2007, 06:39 PM
Les Mikesell

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

What's the best way to run diff against two folders, comparing every
single file in each one?

Basically we're trying to figure out what changes have been made
between a backup folder and a current one. They both contain folders
within folders and files within them.

Is that a trick question?

diff -r path1 path2

pipe to less or direct output to a file for later review.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-30-2007, 07:02 PM
Karl Larsen

Martin Marques wrote:

Ashley M. Kirchner escribió:

What's the best way to run diff against two folders, comparing
every single file in each one?

Basically we're trying to figure out what changes have been made
between a backup folder and a current one. They both contain folders
within folders and files within them.

diff -r doesn't help you?

I just read man diff and it does talk to comparing directories of
files. And the -r tells it to do it recursive and that is like we us -r
in other tools.

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 11-30-2007, 07:39 PM
Konstantin Svist

Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:

What's the best way to run diff against two folders, comparing
every single file in each one?

Basically we're trying to figure out what changes have been made
between a backup folder and a current one. They both contain folders
within folders and files within them.

Personally, I really like kdiff3 - it's a pretty nice UI for diff.
It compares directories, too - and presents the differences in a very
easy-to decipher format

Old 11-30-2007, 07:55 PM
offset

Old 11-30-2007, 08:19 PM
"Marcelo Magno T. Sales"

Em Sex 30 Nov 2007, Konstantin Svist escreveu:
> Ashley M. Kirchner wrote:
> > What's the best way to run diff against two folders, comparing
> > every single file in each one?
> >
> > Basically we're trying to figure out what changes have been made
> > between a backup folder and a current one. They both contain
> > folders within folders and files within them.
>
> Personally, I really like kdiff3 - it's a pretty nice UI for diff.
> It compares directories, too - and presents the differences in a very
> easy-to decipher format

Or Kompare, I like it too.

[]'s
Marcelo