Old 05-23-2008, 06:12 PM
Ed Warner

Default Root's Mail

I can not retrieve root's mail by typing "mail" from a command prompt, either by logging in as root or su.
I have added my username as an alias for root but still not able. The folder for mail is there, just comes back as "no mail for root"
Any ideas?

Old 05-23-2008, 06:15 PM
"Mark Haney"

Ed Warner wrote:

I can not retrieve root's mail by typing "mail" from a command prompt, either by logging in as root or su.
I have added my username as an alias for root but still not able. The folder for mail is there, just comes back as "no mail for root"
Any ideas?

Uh, is it possible there is no mail for root?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support

Old 05-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Ed Warner

Message: 6
> I can not retrieve root's mail by typing "mail" from a command prompt, either by logging in as root or su.
> I have added my username as an alias for root but still not able. The folder for mail is there, just comes back as "no mail for root"
> Any ideas?

Uh, is it possible there is no mail for root?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours
support

Don't think so. The folder does contain mail.

Old 05-23-2008, 07:19 PM
Craig White

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 12:09 -0700, Ed Warner wrote:
> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 14:15:05 -0400
> From: "Mark Haney"
> Subject: Re: Root's Mail
> To: "For users of Fedora"
>
> Ed Warner wrote:
> > I can not retrieve root's mail by typing "mail" from a
> command prompt, either by logging in as root or su.
> > I have added my username as an alias for root but still not
> able. The folder for mail is there, just comes back as "no
> mail for root"
> > Any ideas?
> >

> Uh, is it possible there is no mail for root?

> Don't think so. The folder does contain mail.
----
the 'mail' command only reads from /var/spool/mail/USERNAME in which
case, this would be root. It is a single mbox file and there are no
'folders'

If there are mail folders in /root, the mail command wouldn't normally
access this mail but I believe you can specify a file other than the
users default mail spool...

mail -f /root/mbox
mail -f /some_path/some_file

Craig

Old 05-23-2008, 08:07 PM
Michael Schwendt

On Fri, 23 May 2008 11:12:56 -0700 (PDT), Ed Warner wrote:

> I can not retrieve root's mail by typing "mail" from a command prompt, either by logging in as root or su.
> I have added my username as an alias for root but still not able. The folder for mail is there, just comes back as "no mail for root"
> Any ideas?

With an alias your mail is forwarded to another user, so it's no
surprise there is no mail in root's mailbox anymore.

Perhaps you can be more verbose in your mail and quote the console
session output of how you look for the mail folder and mail. That
makes it easier for readers.

--
Fedora release 9.90 (Rawhide) - Linux 2.6.26-0.17.rc3.fc10.i686
loadavg: 1.42 1.14 1.13

Old 05-23-2008, 09:16 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 12:09 -0700, Ed Warner wrote:
> Message: 6
> Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 14:15:05 -0400
> From: "Mark Haney"
> Subject: Re: Root's Mail
> To: "For users of Fedora"
>
> Ed Warner wrote:
> > I can not retrieve root's mail by typing "mail" from a
> command prompt, either by logging in as root or su.
> > I have added my username as an alias for root but still not
> able. The folder for mail is there, just comes back as "no
> mail for root"
> > Any ideas?
> >

> Uh, is it possible there is no mail for root?
>

> --
> Libenter homines id quod volunt credunt -- Caius Julius Caesar
>

> Mark Haney
> Sr. Systems Administrator
> ERC Broadband
> (828) 350-2415
>
> Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support
>
> Don't think so. The folder does contain mail.
1. If root is aliasewd to oyur user name you will get roots mail.
2. have you tried: mail -u, as root

Old 10-25-2010, 07:41 PM
Damien Hull

I'm trying to forward roots mail to an external address and it's not working. Here's what I have.
Ubuntu 10.04 serverPostfixAliases file configured with root: user@example.com
Mail is hosted on Google which gets the email. However, the mail ends up in the spam folder saying that it was trying to deliver it to root@example.com. It should deliver it to user@example.com.

If I use "mail -s "test" user@example.com" it works fine. That's from the root account.*
Any suggestions?*

Old 10-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Smoot Carl-Mitchell

On Mon, 2010-10-25 at 11:41 -0800, Damien Hull wrote:
> I'm trying to forward roots mail to an external address and it's not
> working. Here's what I have.
>

> 1. Ubuntu 10.04 server
> 2. Postfix
> 3. Aliases file configured with root: user@example.com
> Mail is hosted on Google which gets the email. However, the mail ends
> up in the spam folder saying that it was trying to deliver it to
> root@example.com. It should deliver it to user@example.com.

I'd guess the SPAM filter is comparing the 'To:' line in the message
header with the envelope address which are different and flagging the
message as SPAM. There should be a way to adjust the filter to allow
the email to pass the SPAM test.

--
Smoot Carl-Mitchell
Computer Systems and

Old 10-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Damien Hull

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 11:48 AM, Smoot Carl-Mitchell <smoot@tic.com> wrote:

On Mon, 2010-10-25 at 11:41 -0800, Damien Hull wrote:

> I'm trying to forward roots mail to an external address and it's not

> working. Here's what I have.

> * * *1. Ubuntu 10.04 server

> * * *2. Postfix

> * * *3. Aliases file configured with root: user@example.com

> Mail is hosted on Google which gets the email. However, the mail ends

> up in the spam folder saying that it was trying to deliver it to

> root@example.com. It should deliver it to user@example.com.

I'd guess the SPAM filter is comparing the 'To:' line in the message

header with the envelope address which are different and flagging the

message as SPAM. *There should be a way to adjust the filter to allow

the email to pass the SPAM test.

--

Smoot Carl-Mitchell

Computer Systems and

Network Consultant

smoot@tic.com

+1 480 922 7313

cell: +1 602 421 9005
Turns out it was a miss configuration on my end. All mail to root would go to "root@hostname". Postfix wasn't configured to except "root@hostname". Once I fixed it all was well.*

Not sure why the postfix error email was sent to my Google account. Anyway, it works and I'm happy. *

*