Old 05-23-2008, 06:11 PM
"Patrick Burkard"

Default fedora on virtualbox

On Fri, 23 May 2008 20:39:16 +0200, Mike Wright
<mike.wright@mailinator.com> wrote:

Hi all,

I've spent 7 hours so far trying to install fc4/fc6/centos5 onto
virtualbox on two different machines and in every case the host freezes
and requires a hard reset. On the laptop it actually powers off when it
hits whatever the problem is.

I've no problem installing (gag me) XP.

Has anybody had any success installing fedora or centos onto virtualbox?

If it's not doable I'd like to know so I can look for a different
solution. If it is doable I'd appreciate any pointers.

Thanks,
Mike Wright :m)

I've got a fc8 and a CentOS 5 on a virtual box and have no problems with
it.

Maybe fc4/6 has some driver issues with the box?

But evrything works fine for me.
I use the box from a external HD sometimes on fc9 and sometimes from a
Debian 4 host.

Have you compiled the virtual box by yoursel or do you use the
Distribution packages?

Patrick

Old 05-23-2008, 06:13 PM
Rick Stevens

Mike Wright wrote:

Hi all,

I've spent 7 hours so far trying to install fc4/fc6/centos5 onto
virtualbox on two different machines and in every case the host freezes
and requires a hard reset. On the laptop it actually powers off when it
hits whatever the problem is.

I've no problem installing (gag me) XP.

Has anybody had any success installing fedora or centos onto virtualbox?

If it's not doable I'd like to know so I can look for a different
solution. If it is doable I'd appreciate any pointers.

I have VirtualBox running on Fedora 8 x86_64 on an Opteron 1210 with
CentOS 5.1 (32-bit) running inside it (it wouldn't install the 64-bit
version). Details on the host machine:

AMD Opteron 1210, 2GB RAM, kernel 2.6.24.7-92.fc8

Here's the VirtualBox XML file for it (filename is
/home/rick/.VirtualBox/Machines/CentOS-51/CentOS-51.xml):

--------------------------- CUT HERE ---------------------------------
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
<!-- innotek VirtualBox Machine Configuration -->
<VirtualBox xmlns="http://www.innotek.de/VirtualBox-settings"
version="1.2-linux">

<Machine OSType="linux26" lastStateChange="2008-05-21T19:38:44Z"
name="CentOS-51" uuid="{563823a7-1304-4acc-2394-c5467cf048eb}">

<ExtraData>
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/SaveMountedAtRuntime" value="yes"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastWindowPostion"
value="341,187,724,470"/>

<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/Fullscreen" value="off"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/Seamless" value="off"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/AutoresizeGuest" value="on"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="GUI/LastCloseAction" value="powerOff"/>
</ExtraData>
<Description>CentOS 5.1, 32-bit</Description>
<Hardware>
<CPU>
<HardwareVirtEx enabled="false"/>
</CPU>
<Memory RAMSize="512"/>
<Boot>
<Order device="Floppy" position="1"/>
<Order device="DVD" position="2"/>
<Order device="HardDisk" position="3"/>
</Boot>
<Display MonitorCount="1" VRAMSize="8"/>
<RemoteDisplay authTimeout="5000" authType="null" enabled="false"
port="3389"/>

<BIOS>
<ACPI enabled="true"/>
<IOAPIC enabled="false"/>
<Logo displayTime="0" fadeIn="true" fadeOut="true"/>
<BootMenu mode="messageandmenu"/>
<TimeOffset value="0"/>
<PXEDebug enabled="false"/>
<IDEController type="PIIX3"/>
</BIOS>
<DVDDrive passthrough="false">
<HostDrive src="/dev/sr0"/>
</DVDDrive>
<FloppyDrive enabled="true"/>
<USBController enabled="false" enabledEhci="false"/>
<Network>
<Adapter MACAddress="080027BF1E07" cable="true" enabled="true"
slot="0" type="Am79C973">

<NAT/>
</Adapter>
<Adapter MACAddress="0800271D400E" cable="true" enabled="false"
slot="1" type="Am79C973"/>
<Adapter MACAddress="080027A5DEF5" cable="true" enabled="false"
slot="2" type="Am79C973"/>
<Adapter MACAddress="080027D4DBC0" cable="true" enabled="false"
slot="3" type="Am79C973"/>

</Network>
<Uart>
<Port IOBase="0x3f8" IRQ="4" enabled="false"
hostMode="Disconnected" slot="0"/>
<Port IOBase="0x3f8" IRQ="4" enabled="false"
hostMode="Disconnected" slot="1"/>

</Uart>
<Lpt>
<Port IOBase="0x378" IRQ="4" enabled="false" slot="0"/>
<Port IOBase="0x378" IRQ="4" enabled="false" slot="1"/>
</Lpt>
<AudioAdapter driver="null" enabled="false"/>
<SharedFolders/>
<Clipboard mode="Bidirectional"/>
</Hardware>
<HardDiskAttachments>
<HardDiskAttachment bus="ide0" device="master"
hardDisk="{d226b700-c69b-4536-1eb9-a174cf8f9f54}"/>

</HardDiskAttachments>
</Machine>

</VirtualBox>
--------------------------- CUT HERE ---------------------------------

When you install, make sure you tell VBox that it's a Linux 2.6-style
machine. Hope that helps. And there's a second VBox guest running
Windows 2003 Server (yes, I'm embarrassed about that...but I had to have
it for a specific project).

If you need more help, you can contact me off-list and I'll try to give
you whatever you need.

Old 05-23-2008, 06:14 PM
Chatonda Mtika

i've had similar problems. i tried f8, then dialed down to f7 to
no avail, both on vmware and virtualbox. i did manage to install
ubuntu (on virtualbox). all this was on a laptop. i haven't tried
installing on a desktop yet.

thanks,
-chatonda

Old 05-23-2008, 10:08 PM
Mike Wright

Mike Wright wrote:

Hi all,

I've spent 7 hours so far trying to install fc4/fc6/centos5 onto
virtualbox on two different machines and in every case the host freezes
and requires a hard reset. On the laptop it actually powers off when it
hits whatever the problem is.

I've no problem installing (gag me) XP.

Has anybody had any success installing fedora or centos onto virtualbox?

If it's not doable I'd like to know so I can look for a different
solution. If it is doable I'd appreciate any pointers.

Thanks to Patrick, Rick and Chatonda.

I was able to perform a *text* based install from an old set of fc4 cds.
It took two attempts, with the first freezing up again.

I'll have to look a little deeper but I think it may be related to apm
or screensaver jumping in front. The clue was that the freeze up,
though not always in the same exact place in the install, was always
very nearly after the same amount of time without touching the keyboard.

Now to install something a little more current...

Mike Wright :m)