Old 05-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Les Mikesell

Default Sharing my mail with my laptop

Chris Kottaridis wrote:

I seem to be missing something on how to set things up so I can peruse
my email, and control various folders, from either my desktop or my
laptop. Any pointers on how I get started would be great. I am more then
happy to make my desktop my mail server, since the FreeBSD server is
getting a bit old and I'd like to upgrade it anyway so it's not a
problem for me to just move the mail service to my desktop if that makes
things easier. I don't care so much if my existing email folders are not
accessible by my laptop I just want to start making new messages
available to both from here forward.

Any pointers to how I get imap setup so I can access my folders from
two, or more, different machines ?

If you want to replace the FreeBSD box with a 'server appliance' that
will work as an internet gateway, web/ftp/samba/email server (and
probably a few other things but not desktop apps), look at SME server
from http://www.contribs.org. It will come up with a working pop/imap
and webmail server that you can use from your laptop or other client
boxes. You can set up the same programs on other distros, but none are
as easy to install or maintain. As for your existing mail, if you can
download via POP to a mail client program that understands both POP and
IMAP, you will subsequently be able to drag anything you want to keep
back into IMAP folders on the new server.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 05-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Cameron Simpson

On 23May2008 09:56, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@quietwind.net> wrote:
| OK, for years I have always worked from a desktop, but now I have a
| laptop in the house as well. Both are running Fedora 8. I'd like to be
| able to look at my mail folders from either host, both new incoming mail
| and previously read mail. My understanding is that with imap I can do
| that.

Yes, but don't forget the less complex approach.
On my laptop my mail command is a wrapper that goes:

ssh home run-my-mail-command

Of course, this requires me to have net connectivity...

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Microsoft Palladium: Where the hell do you think YOU'RE going today?

Old 05-24-2008, 09:56 AM
Tim

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 09:56 -0600, Chris Kottaridis wrote:
> There is a imap daemon on the FreeBSD machine that I seem to be able
> to connect to, but when I tell evolution, on either my desktop or my
> laptop, to treat the FreeBSD as an imap server I don't seem to get any
> new mail transferred.

Most likely that your POP inbox and IMAP inbox are not the same inbox.
Running a procmail filter on the mailserver that drops incoming (to
sendmail) mail into specific IMAP mailboxes may be the simple solution.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.15-80.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.