Old 05-23-2008, 02:52 PM
"Andre Costa"

Default mplayerplug-in and trailers at Apple.com

Hi,

I've been happily using mplayerplug-in to watch movie trailers on
http://www.apple.com/trailers for quite some time, but lately I've
been denied access to some movies with a "get latest quicktime"
message (other movies still play as they used to).

These are the versions I'm using:

mplayerplug-in-3.50-33.fc8
mplayer-1.0-63_rc2.fc8
mplayer-fonts-1.0-7.at
mplayer-skin-mini-0.1-11.2.at

Anyone knows a way to work around this? Or should I just wait for
newer versions of MPlayer / mplayerplug-in?

BTW: still using Fedora 8.

Regards,

Andre

Old 05-23-2008, 04:06 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 11:52 -0300, Andre Costa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been happily using mplayerplug-in to watch movie trailers on
> http://www.apple.com/trailers for quite some time, but lately I've
> been denied access to some movies with a "get latest quicktime"
> message (other movies still play as they used to).
>
> These are the versions I'm using:
>
> mplayerplug-in-3.50-33.fc8
> mplayer-1.0-63_rc2.fc8
> mplayer-fonts-1.0-7.at
> mplayer-skin-mini-0.1-11.2.at
>
> Anyone knows a way to work around this? Or should I just wait for
> newer versions of MPlayer / mplayerplug-in?
>
> BTW: still using Fedora 8.

Not an answer to your question, rather a follow-up: mplayerplug-in
appears not to exist for Fedora 9, at least not in the usual repos. I've
been unable to view trailers at apple.com since installing F9.

poc

Old 05-23-2008, 04:18 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

Not an answer to your question, rather a follow-up: mplayerplug-in
appears not to exist for Fedora 9, at least not in the usual repos. I've
been unable to view trailers at apple.com since installing F9.

Have you tried gecko-mediaplayer?

poc

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com

Old 05-23-2008, 05:52 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 12:18 -0400, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > Not an answer to your question, rather a follow-up: mplayerplug-in
> > appears not to exist for Fedora 9, at least not in the usual repos. I've
> > been unable to view trailers at apple.com since installing F9.
>
> Have you tried gecko-mediaplayer?

Yes.

To be frank, I suspect that my real problem is I have *too many* plugins
and they're probably clashing with each other (even though some are
currently disabled). This is basically a result of a lack of clear
guidelines as to what is a recommended setup, plus that fact that so
many of the various tools (xine, mplayer, vlc etc.) have overlapping
funcionality. Sometimes freedom of choice is a pain in the neck :-)

I can't express how deeply I don't care about which video player I use.
If I can get one of them to do everything reliably, I'll stick to it and
dump the rest, but I suspect that isn't possible.

I'm happy to be proved wrong ...

poc

Old 05-23-2008, 05:59 PM
"Tom Horsley"

> I can't express how deeply I don't care about which video player I use.
> If I can get one of them to do everything reliably, I'll stick to it and
> dump the rest, but I suspect that isn't possible.

Yea, that was why I've always used mplayer-plugin since it was always the
only player that worked with everything (at least with a merged
collection of illegal, immoral, riaa blood pressure raising, copyright
violating codecs from around the world and a 32 bit mplayer :-)

Old 05-23-2008, 06:20 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 17:59 +0000, Tom Horsley wrote:
> > I can't express how deeply I don't care about which video player I use.
> > If I can get one of them to do everything reliably, I'll stick to it and
> > dump the rest, but I suspect that isn't possible.
>
> Yea, that was why I've always used mplayer-plugin since it was always the
> only player that worked with everything (at least with a merged
> collection of illegal, immoral, riaa blood pressure raising, copyright
> violating codecs from around the world and a 32 bit mplayer :-)

I'll try narrowing the list of suspects and see what happens.

poc

Old 05-23-2008, 06:21 PM
Craig White

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 13:22 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 12:18 -0400, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> > Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > > Not an answer to your question, rather a follow-up: mplayerplug-in
> > > appears not to exist for Fedora 9, at least not in the usual repos. I've
> > > been unable to view trailers at apple.com since installing F9.
> >
> > Have you tried gecko-mediaplayer?
>
> Yes.
>
> To be frank, I suspect that my real problem is I have *too many* plugins
> and they're probably clashing with each other (even though some are
> currently disabled). This is basically a result of a lack of clear
> guidelines as to what is a recommended setup, plus that fact that so
> many of the various tools (xine, mplayer, vlc etc.) have overlapping
> funcionality. Sometimes freedom of choice is a pain in the neck :-)
>
> I can't express how deeply I don't care about which video player I use.
> If I can get one of them to do everything reliably, I'll stick to it and
> dump the rest, but I suspect that isn't possible.
>
> I'm happy to be proved wrong ...
----
I believe that gecko-mediaplayer is the replacement (on Livna at least)
for mplayerplug-in.

Also with mplayer from livna...something not fixed...you must comment
out the line in /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf...

#flip-hebrew = no
otherwise, it won't run

Craig

Old 05-23-2008, 06:30 PM
dexter

On Fri May 23 2008 18:52:50 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I can't express how deeply I don't care about which video player I use.
> If I can get one of them to do everything reliably, I'll stick to it and
> dump the rest, but I suspect that isn't possible.
>
> I'm happy to be proved wrong ...

This is Linux, you have the power and the code to mould your desktop in your
own image. Dont wait for a distro which is legally encumbered or slow
maintainers.

...dex

Old 05-23-2008, 07:09 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 19:30 +0100, dexter wrote:
> On Fri May 23 2008 18:52:50 Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > I can't express how deeply I don't care about which video player I use.
> > If I can get one of them to do everything reliably, I'll stick to it and
> > dump the rest, but I suspect that isn't possible.
> >
> > I'm happy to be proved wrong ...
>
> This is Linux, you have the power and the code to mould your desktop in your
> own image. Dont wait for a distro which is legally encumbered or slow
> maintainers.

This speaks exactly to what I'm trying to say. My interests in
multimedia are exclusively as a user. Maybe I could spend a year or two
researching the various technologies and standards and come up with
something I liked, but frankly life is too short and there are too many
other interesting things to do. All I want are some clear guidelines and
I'll take care of the rest.

poc

Old 05-23-2008, 07:14 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 11:21 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 13:22 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > >
> > > Have you tried gecko-mediaplayer?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > To be frank, I suspect that my real problem is I have *too many* plugins
> > and they're probably clashing with each other (even though some are
> > currently disabled). This is basically a result of a lack of clear
> > guidelines as to what is a recommended setup, plus that fact that so
> > many of the various tools (xine, mplayer, vlc etc.) have overlapping
> > funcionality. Sometimes freedom of choice is a pain in the neck :-)
> >
> > I can't express how deeply I don't care about which video player I use.
> > If I can get one of them to do everything reliably, I'll stick to it and
> > dump the rest, but I suspect that isn't possible.
> >
> > I'm happy to be proved wrong ...
> ----
> I believe that gecko-mediaplayer is the replacement (on Livna at least)
> for mplayerplug-in.

I'm trying it now (basically by turning off everything that doesn't say
gecko-mediaplayer in the aboutlugins page), but the trailers pages say
"Get the Latest QuickTime". as Andre already noted.

> Also with mplayer from livna...something not fixed...you must comment
> out the line in /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf...
>
> #flip-hebrew = no
> otherwise, it won't run

I knew that, but thanks.

poc

PS Don't know if this is relevant, but how does gecko-mediaplayer
interact with nspluginwrapper? Should one have both (as I do) or pick
one over the other? There is no hint in what's amusingly called the
"documentation".