Old 05-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Anne Wilson

Default Troubleshooting yum

On Friday 23 May 2008 11:31, Stuart Sears wrote:
> Anne Wilson wrote:
> > I forgot to save the actual message, so I'm quoting from memory. I keep
> > getting something like
> >
> > 'Not using repom.d. Older than the one I have'
> >
> > I can't see anything odd about the repo files, so what could be wrong and
> > where do I look?
>
> I don't think this is an error.
>
> The yum system appears to be checking modification(or possibly creation)
> times on remote repomd.xml files for your configured repositories.
> This way it will only download new copies if they have changed. Saves
> time and bandwidth.

What worried me was the 'older than'. How could that be?

Anne

Old 05-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Tim

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 12:40 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> What worried me was the 'older than'. How could that be?

I can see that happening in two ways:

When you last yum updated, *your* files were dated then. If the mirror
hasn't changed in the meantime, its files will be older than yours.
Though, I would have thought that your files might be dated the same as
whatever you fetched, so yum would see something the same-as, rather
than something older on the server.

A more probably alternative: You've used different mirrors while yum
updating, from one attempt to another. The one that you're currently
trying is older than one you've used before.

--
(This box runs Centos 5.0, my others still run FC 4, 5, 6, & 7, in case that's
important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 05-23-2008, 01:46 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 22:41 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 12:40 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > What worried me was the 'older than'. How could that be?
>
> I can see that happening in two ways:
>
> When you last yum updated, *your* files were dated then. If the mirror
> hasn't changed in the meantime, its files will be older than yours.
> Though, I would have thought that your files might be dated the same as
> whatever you fetched, so yum would see something the same-as, rather
> than something older on the server.
>
> A more probably alternative: You've used different mirrors while yum
> updating, from one attempt to another. The one that you're currently
> trying is older than one you've used before.

Good explanation. I've been wondering about that myself since I get it
from time to time. For reasons of paranoia I usually do a 'yum clean
metadata' to make sure it's all in sync, but that's probably overkill.

poc

Old 05-23-2008, 02:19 PM
Anne Wilson

On Friday 23 May 2008 14:11:23 Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 12:40 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > What worried me was the 'older than'. How could that be?
>
> I can see that happening in two ways:
>
> When you last yum updated, *your* files were dated then. If the mirror
> hasn't changed in the meantime, its files will be older than yours.
> Though, I would have thought that your files might be dated the same as
> whatever you fetched, so yum would see something the same-as, rather
> than something older on the server.
>
> A more probably alternative: You've used different mirrors while yum
> updating, from one attempt to another. The one that you're currently
> trying is older than one you've used before.

That makes sense. I'll stop worrying :-) Thanks

Anne