FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-22-2008, 11:15 PM
"slamp slamp"
 
Default New kernels do not work.

Please help. PC stuck in grub> prompt.

Getting error when loading updated kernels:

Error 13: invalid or unsupported executable format


Updated kernels do not boot. The kernel that came with the DVD boots
fine. I tried regular kernel and also the PAE kernel (I have 4GB of
RAM).

RAID1 setup on a Intel DP35DP.

00:1f.2 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation 82801 SATA RAID
Controller (rev 02)


This works:

grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25-14.fc9.i686 ro root=/dev/VG/rootfs rhgb quiet
grub> boot

This does not:
grub> root (hd0,0)
grub> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25-14.fc9.i686 ro root=/dev/VG/rootfs rhgb quiet
Error 13: invalid or unsupported executable format


# mount
/dev/mapper/VG-rootfs on / type ext4dev (rw)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/mapper/VG-var on /var type ext4dev (rw)
/dev/mapper/VG-usr on /usr type ext4dev (rw)
/dev/mapper/VG-home on /home type ext4dev (rw)
/dev/sda1 on /boot type ext3 (rw)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw)
none on /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc type binfmt_misc (rw)
sunrpc on /var/lib/nfs/rpc_pipefs type rpc_pipefs (rw)
fusectl on /sys/fs/fuse/connections type fusectl (rw)
gvfs-fuse-daemon on /home/user/.gvfs type fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon
(rw,nosuid,nodev,user=user)



Part of my grub.conf

title Fedora (2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686.PAE)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686.PAE ro root=/dev/VG/rootfs rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686.PAE.img
title Fedora (2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686 ro
root=UUID=8741bb6e-dbe0-42c2-a91b-f5e685d70ada rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686.img
title Fedora (2.6.25-14.fc9.i686)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25-14.fc9.i686 ro
root=UUID=8741bb6e-dbe0-42c2-a91b-f5e685d70ada rhgb quiet
initrd /initrd-2.6.25-14.fc9.i686.img



Module Size Used by
bridge 46104 0
bnep 14464 2
rfcomm 34576 4
l2cap 22272 16 bnep,rfcomm
bluetooth 47588 5 bnep,rfcomm,l2cap
fuse 41116 3
sunrpc 151412 3
ipt_REJECT 6784 2
nf_conntrack_ipv4 11396 2
iptable_filter 6528 1
ip_tables 13840 1 iptable_filter
ip6t_REJECT 7552 2
xt_tcpudp 6656 2
nf_conntrack_ipv6 15864 2
xt_state 5888 4
nf_conntrack 49748 3 nf_conntrack_ipv4,nf_conntrack_ipv6,xt_state
ip6table_filter 6400 1
ip6_tables 14736 1 ip6table_filter
x_tables 15236 6
ipt_REJECT,ip_tables,ip6t_REJECT,xt_tcpudp,xt_stat e,ip6_tables
ipv6 221660 20 ip6t_REJECT,nf_conntrack_ipv6
cpufreq_ondemand 10124 4
acpi_cpufreq 11532 0
ext3 108936 1
jbd 40980 1 ext3
dm_multipath 18056 0
arc4 5760 2
ecb 6528 2
crypto_blkcipher 17924 1 ecb
snd_hda_intel 330144 3
rt61pci 25344 0
rt2x00pci 10752 1 rt61pci
rt2x00lib 31744 2 rt61pci,rt2x00pci
snd_seq_dummy 6660 0
rfkill 9108 2 rt2x00lib
snd_seq_oss 30364 0
ata_generic 8964 0
input_polldev 7176 1 rt2x00lib
pata_acpi 8192 0
mac80211 185184 2 rt2x00pci,rt2x00lib
snd_seq_midi_event 9600 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 48448 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device 10124 3 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
firewire_ohci 21636 0
snd_pcm_oss 42496 0
usb_storage 76296 0
firewire_core 34208 1 firewire_ohci
snd_mixer_oss 16768 1 snd_pcm_oss
cfg80211 24712 2 rt2x00lib,mac80211
pata_marvell 8064 0
button 10000 0
snd_pcm 67076 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
iTCO_wdt 13476 0
iTCO_vendor_support 6916 1 iTCO_wdt
i2c_i801 11920 0
e1000e 84132 0
eeprom_93cx6 5888 1 rt61pci
pcspkr 6272 0
snd_timer 21640 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd_page_alloc 11400 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
snd_hwdep 10500 1 snd_hda_intel
snd 48312 16
snd_hda_intel,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,sn d_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd _timer,snd_hwdep
serio_raw 8708 0
i2c_core 20628 1 i2c_i801
sg 31028 0
sr_mod 17064 0
crc_itu_t 5760 2 rt61pci,firewire_core
soundcore 9288 1 snd
cdrom 32796 1 sr_mod
dm_snapshot 18468 0
dm_zero 5632 0
dm_mirror 26116 0
dm_mod 48980 13 dm_multipath,dm_snapshot,dm_zero,dm_mirror
ahci 26760 3
libata 126688 4 ata_generic,pata_acpi,pata_marvell,ahci
sd_mod 25624 5
scsi_mod 120820 5 usb_storage,sg,sr_mod,libata,sd_mod
ext4dev 174744 4
jbd2 56228 1 ext4dev
mbcache 10116 2 ext3,ext4dev
crc16 5760 1 ext4dev
uhci_hcd 22928 0
ohci_hcd 22276 0
ehci_hcd 32268 0

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-23-2008, 02:47 AM
"Antti J. Huhtala"
 
Default New kernels do not work.

to, 2008-05-22 kello 19:15 -0400, slamp slamp kirjoitti:
> Please help. PC stuck in grub> prompt.
>
Does the system loudspeaker also ring like a firebell? I just recovered
from the same situation - and your grub.conf confirms it is very likely
the same problem I had.
The latest kernel update 2.6.25.3-18.fc9 - or one of the 199 files
updated at the same time - rewrote grub.conf so that (in my case) the
line which should have read:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
rhgb quiet

actually read:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64 ro
root=UUID=ab562fb5-0a9a-4458-9f30-61c8a23f774a rhgb quiet

Somehow my /dev/VolGroup... had been changed to UUID=...

The same error had been applied to the previous kernel (2.6.25-14.fc9)
so that neither would boot.

In short, boot the computer with F9 DVD, choose "Rescue previous
installation", press OK to go to CLI, type "chroot /mnt/sysimage", and
type "cd boot/grub".
"ls" will list, among others, grub.conf. Then type "vi grub.conf" and
edit the kernel lines to contain *your* /dev/filesystem instead of your
UUID. Then ":write" to save your new grub.conf and ":quit" to exit vi.
Once in CLI, type "exit" *twice* and remove the DVD while the system is
closing down. It will reboot automatically.

<snip>

>
> Part of my grub.conf
>
> title Fedora (2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686.PAE)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686.PAE ro root=/dev/VG/rootfs rhgb quiet
> initrd /initrd-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686.PAE.img
> title Fedora (2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686 ro
> root=UUID=8741bb6e-dbe0-42c2-a91b-f5e685d70ada rhgb quiet
> initrd /initrd-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.i686.img
> title Fedora (2.6.25-14.fc9.i686)
> root (hd0,0)
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25-14.fc9.i686 ro
> root=UUID=8741bb6e-dbe0-42c2-a91b-f5e685d70ada rhgb quiet
> initrd /initrd-2.6.25-14.fc9.i686.img
>
>
<snip>

HTH

Antti


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-23-2008, 05:15 PM
"Antti J. Huhtala"
 
Default New kernels do not work.

pe, 2008-05-23 kello 05:47 +0300, Antti J. Huhtala kirjoitti:
> to, 2008-05-22 kello 19:15 -0400, slamp slamp kirjoitti:
> > Please help. PC stuck in grub> prompt.
> >
> The latest kernel update 2.6.25.3-18.fc9 - or one of the 199 files
> updated at the same time - rewrote grub.conf so that (in my case) the
> line which should have read:
>
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> rhgb quiet
>
> actually read:
>
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64 ro
> root=UUID=ab562fb5-0a9a-4458-9f30-61c8a23f774a rhgb quiet
>
> Somehow my /dev/VolGroup... had been changed to UUID=...
>
> The same error had been applied to the previous kernel (2.6.25-14.fc9)
> so that neither would boot.
>
Bugzilla # 448132.
> <snip>
>
> HTH
>
> Antti
>
Antti


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-24-2008, 07:52 PM
Steve
 
Default New kernels do not work.

---- "Antti J. Huhtala" <ahuhtal4@welho.com> wrote:
> pe, 2008-05-23 kello 05:47 +0300, Antti J. Huhtala kirjoitti:
> > to, 2008-05-22 kello 19:15 -0400, slamp slamp kirjoitti:
> > > Please help. PC stuck in grub> prompt.
> > >
> > The latest kernel update 2.6.25.3-18.fc9 - or one of the 199 files
> > updated at the same time - rewrote grub.conf so that (in my case) the
> > line which should have read:
> >
> > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> > rhgb quiet
> >
> > actually read:
> >
> > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64 ro
> > root=UUID=ab562fb5-0a9a-4458-9f30-61c8a23f774a rhgb quiet
> >
> > Somehow my /dev/VolGroup... had been changed to UUID=...
> >
> > The same error had been applied to the previous kernel (2.6.25-14.fc9)
> > so that neither would boot.
> >
> Bugzilla # 448132.

I have the same problem except that correcting my grub.conf file did not help. I'm still stuck with just GRUB showing on the screen. Also I did not get any sounds.

Any futher suggestions?

Steve

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-24-2008, 10:16 PM
"slamp slamp"
 
Default New kernels do not work.

On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Steve <zephod@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
>
> ---- "Antti J. Huhtala" <ahuhtal4@welho.com> wrote:
>> pe, 2008-05-23 kello 05:47 +0300, Antti J. Huhtala kirjoitti:
>> > to, 2008-05-22 kello 19:15 -0400, slamp slamp kirjoitti:
>> > > Please help. PC stuck in grub> prompt.
>> > >
>> > The latest kernel update 2.6.25.3-18.fc9 - or one of the 199 files
>> > updated at the same time - rewrote grub.conf so that (in my case) the
>> > line which should have read:
>> >
>> > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
>> > rhgb quiet
>> >
>> > actually read:
>> >
>> > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64 ro
>> > root=UUID=ab562fb5-0a9a-4458-9f30-61c8a23f774a rhgb quiet
>> >
>> > Somehow my /dev/VolGroup... had been changed to UUID=...
>> >
>> > The same error had been applied to the previous kernel (2.6.25-14.fc9)
>> > so that neither would boot.
>> >
>> Bugzilla # 448132.
>
> I have the same problem except that correcting my grub.conf file did not help. I'm still stuck with just GRUB showing on the screen. Also I did not get any sounds.
>
> Any futher suggestions?
>
> Steve
>
> --
> fedora-list mailing list
> fedora-list@redhat.com
> To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
>

well my issue was either fedora or grub not being able work well with
"fakeraid". anything i tried nothing helped. i reinstalled grub to the
right fakeraid device and it did not help. so what i did was deleted
the "fakeraid" from intel bios and just did a software raid (mdadm).
this works better than dmraid and grub or fedora seems to properly use
the /dev/md* device. "fakeraid" sucks, too bad i did not catch this
when i bought my pc (powerspec e361).

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-25-2008, 03:43 AM
"Antti J. Huhtala"
 
Default New kernels do not work.

la, 2008-05-24 kello 18:16 -0400, slamp slamp kirjoitti:
> On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Steve <zephod@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > ---- "Antti J. Huhtala" <ahuhtal4@welho.com> wrote:
> >> pe, 2008-05-23 kello 05:47 +0300, Antti J. Huhtala kirjoitti:
> >> > to, 2008-05-22 kello 19:15 -0400, slamp slamp kirjoitti:
> >> > > Please help. PC stuck in grub> prompt.
> >> > >
> >> > The latest kernel update 2.6.25.3-18.fc9 - or one of the 199 files
> >> > updated at the same time - rewrote grub.conf so that (in my case) the
> >> > line which should have read:
> >> >
> >> > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> >> > rhgb quiet
> >> >
> >> > actually read:
> >> >
> >> > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64 ro
> >> > root=UUID=ab562fb5-0a9a-4458-9f30-61c8a23f774a rhgb quiet
> >> >
> >> > Somehow my /dev/VolGroup... had been changed to UUID=...
> >> >
> >> > The same error had been applied to the previous kernel (2.6.25-14.fc9)
> >> > so that neither would boot.
> >> >
> >> Bugzilla # 448132.
> >
> > I have the same problem except that correcting my grub.conf file did not help. I'm still stuck with just GRUB showing on the screen. Also I did not get any sounds.
> >
> > Any futher suggestions?
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > --
> >
>
> well my issue was either fedora or grub not being able work well with
> "fakeraid". anything i tried nothing helped. i reinstalled grub to the
> right fakeraid device and it did not help. so what i did was deleted
> the "fakeraid" from intel bios and just did a software raid (mdadm).
> this works better than dmraid and grub or fedora seems to properly use
> the /dev/md* device. "fakeraid" sucks, too bad i did not catch this
> when i bought my pc (powerspec e361).
>
Unfortunately I know next to nothing of RAIDed filesystems, but it would
seem logical to assume that if you're stuck with "GRUB" it is because
grub doesn't know where to go next.
Another thread today deals with /etc/fstab containing UUIDs instead of
filesystem partitions. It would be my guess that a working Fedora system
knows how to handle UUIDs but I doubt that GRUB knows how to do it. If
I'm wrong about this, I'll be happy to stand corrected.
See my other reply today in this thread for something to try...

Antti


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-25-2008, 04:03 AM
"Antti J. Huhtala"
 
Default New kernels do not work.

la, 2008-05-24 kello 15:52 -0400, Steve kirjoitti:
> ---- "Antti J. Huhtala" <ahuhtal4@welho.com> wrote:
> > pe, 2008-05-23 kello 05:47 +0300, Antti J. Huhtala kirjoitti:
> > > to, 2008-05-22 kello 19:15 -0400, slamp slamp kirjoitti:
> > > > Please help. PC stuck in grub> prompt.
> > > >
> > > The latest kernel update 2.6.25.3-18.fc9 - or one of the 199 files
> > > updated at the same time - rewrote grub.conf so that (in my case) the
> > > line which should have read:
> > >
> > > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> > > rhgb quiet
> > >
> > > actually read:
> > >
> > > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64 ro
> > > root=UUID=ab562fb5-0a9a-4458-9f30-61c8a23f774a rhgb quiet
> > >
> > > Somehow my /dev/VolGroup... had been changed to UUID=...
> > >
> > > The same error had been applied to the previous kernel (2.6.25-14.fc9)
> > > so that neither would boot.
> > >
> > Bugzilla # 448132.
>
> I have the same problem except that correcting my grub.conf file did not help. I'm still stuck with just GRUB showing on the screen. Also I did not get any sounds.
>
> Any futher suggestions?
>
Sorry, looking back at my cryptic hand-written notes I realize I forgot
to mention that I ran 'grub-install' before editing grub.conf. On the
basis of time-stamps of the files in /boot/grub, almost all files were
rewritten but grub.conf was not. My notes don't record whether I tried
rebooting after running grub-install but IIRC I probably did. I seem to
recollect that I was still stuck at "GRUB".
Therefore I edited grub.conf and tried again. This time reboot worked
for me so I didn't delve into it further.
Whether the real remedy was running grub-install or editing grub.conf
*or both*, I don't know. The fact remains I'm typing this with 'fully'
operational F9 system.

Antti


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-25-2008, 01:23 PM
Aaron Konstam
 
Default New kernels do not work.

On Sun, 2008-05-25 at 07:03 +0300, Antti J. Huhtala wrote:
> la, 2008-05-24 kello 15:52 -0400, Steve kirjoitti:
> > ---- "Antti J. Huhtala" <ahuhtal4@welho.com> wrote:
> > > pe, 2008-05-23 kello 05:47 +0300, Antti J. Huhtala kirjoitti:
> > > > to, 2008-05-22 kello 19:15 -0400, slamp slamp kirjoitti:
> > > > > Please help. PC stuck in grub> prompt.
> > > > >
> > > > The latest kernel update 2.6.25.3-18.fc9 - or one of the 199 files
> > > > updated at the same time - rewrote grub.conf so that (in my case) the
> > > > line which should have read:
> > > >
> > > > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> > > > rhgb quiet
> > > >
> > > > actually read:
> > > >
> > > > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64 ro
> > > > root=UUID=ab562fb5-0a9a-4458-9f30-61c8a23f774a rhgb quiet
> > > >
> > > > Somehow my /dev/VolGroup... had been changed to UUID=...
> > > >
> > > > The same error had been applied to the previous kernel (2.6.25-14.fc9)
> > > > so that neither would boot.
> > > >
> > > Bugzilla # 448132.
> >
> > I have the same problem except that correcting my grub.conf file did not help. I'm still stuck with just GRUB showing on the screen. Also I did not get any sounds.
> >
> > Any futher suggestions?
> >
> Sorry, looking back at my cryptic hand-written notes I realize I forgot
> to mention that I ran 'grub-install' before editing grub.conf. On the
> basis of time-stamps of the files in /boot/grub, almost all files were
> rewritten but grub.conf was not. My notes don't record whether I tried
> rebooting after running grub-install but IIRC I probably did. I seem to
> recollect that I was still stuck at "GRUB".
> Therefore I edited grub.conf and tried again. This time reboot worked
> for me so I didn't delve into it further.
> Whether the real remedy was running grub-install or editing grub.conf
> *or both*, I don't know. The fact remains I'm typing this with 'fully'
> operational F9 system.
>
> Antti
>
>
Running grub-install should just re-install the boot block. Changing
grub.conf should not need another grub-install.
--
================================================== =====================
Disraeli was pretty close: actually, there are Lies, Damn lies,
Statistics, Benchmarks, and Delivery dates.
================================================== =====================
Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@sbcglobal.net

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-25-2008, 02:51 PM
Steve
 
Default New kernels do not work.

---- "Antti J. Huhtala" <ahuhtal4@welho.com> wrote:
> la, 2008-05-24 kello 15:52 -0400, Steve kirjoitti:
> > ---- "Antti J. Huhtala" <ahuhtal4@welho.com> wrote:
> > > pe, 2008-05-23 kello 05:47 +0300, Antti J. Huhtala kirjoitti:
> > > > to, 2008-05-22 kello 19:15 -0400, slamp slamp kirjoitti:
> > > > > Please help. PC stuck in grub> prompt.
> > > > >
> > > > The latest kernel update 2.6.25.3-18.fc9 - or one of the 199 files
> > > > updated at the same time - rewrote grub.conf so that (in my case) the
> > > > line which should have read:
> > > >
> > > > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> > > > rhgb quiet
> > > >
> > > > actually read:
> > > >
> > > > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64 ro
> > > > root=UUID=ab562fb5-0a9a-4458-9f30-61c8a23f774a rhgb quiet
> > > >
> > > > Somehow my /dev/VolGroup... had been changed to UUID=...
> > > >
> > > > The same error had been applied to the previous kernel (2.6.25-14.fc9)
> > > > so that neither would boot.
> > > >
> > > Bugzilla # 448132.
> >
> > I have the same problem except that correcting my grub.conf file did not help. I'm still stuck with just GRUB showing on the screen. Also I did not get any sounds.
> >
> > Any futher suggestions?
> >
> Sorry, looking back at my cryptic hand-written notes I realize I forgot
> to mention that I ran 'grub-install' before editing grub.conf. On the
> basis of time-stamps of the files in /boot/grub, almost all files were
> rewritten but grub.conf was not. My notes don't record whether I tried
> rebooting after running grub-install but IIRC I probably did. I seem to
> recollect that I was still stuck at "GRUB".
> Therefore I edited grub.conf and tried again. This time reboot worked
> for me so I didn't delve into it further.
> Whether the real remedy was running grub-install or editing grub.conf
> *or both*, I don't know. The fact remains I'm typing this with 'fully'
> operational F9 system.
> > Steve
> Antti
>
...and I should have added in my note that after I edited grub.conf, rebooted and I was still stuck with just GRUB on the screen, that I re-installed grub from the DVD while in rescue mode and then rebooted again. No luck - still just GRUB. At this point I think my next move may be to do a complete re-install. <Sigh!>

Steve

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-25-2008, 03:01 PM
Steve
 
Default New kernels do not work.

---- slamp slamp <slackamp@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 24, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Steve <zephod@cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> >
> > ---- "Antti J. Huhtala" <ahuhtal4@welho.com> wrote:
> >> pe, 2008-05-23 kello 05:47 +0300, Antti J. Huhtala kirjoitti:
> >> > to, 2008-05-22 kello 19:15 -0400, slamp slamp kirjoitti:
> >> > > Please help. PC stuck in grub> prompt.
> >> > >
> >> > The latest kernel update 2.6.25.3-18.fc9 - or one of the 199 files
> >> > updated at the same time - rewrote grub.conf so that (in my case) the
> >> > line which should have read:
> >> >
> >> > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64 ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
> >> > rhgb quiet
> >> >
> >> > actually read:
> >> >
> >> > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.25.3-18.fc9.x86_64 ro
> >> > root=UUID=ab562fb5-0a9a-4458-9f30-61c8a23f774a rhgb quiet
> >> >
> >> > Somehow my /dev/VolGroup... had been changed to UUID=...
> >> >
> >> > The same error had been applied to the previous kernel (2.6.25-14.fc9)
> >> > so that neither would boot.
> >> >
> >> Bugzilla # 448132.
> >
> > I have the same problem except that correcting my grub.conf file did not help. I'm still stuck with just GRUB showing on the screen. Also I did not get any sounds.
> >
> > Any futher suggestions?
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > --
> > fedora-list mailing list
> > fedora-list@redhat.com
> > To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
> >
>
> well my issue was either fedora or grub not being able work well with
> "fakeraid". anything i tried nothing helped. i reinstalled grub to the
> right fakeraid device and it did not help. so what i did was deleted
> the "fakeraid" from intel bios and just did a software raid (mdadm).
> this works better than dmraid and grub or fedora seems to properly use
> the /dev/md* device. "fakeraid" sucks, too bad i did not catch this
> when i bought my pc (powerspec e361).

I have 2 250G disks in this computer; one has Windows while the other has Fedora. I'll have to check when I get back to work but I think I remember there being only one disk mentioned in the boot order in the BIOS so perhaps this fake raid is turned on in the BIOS. This is an HP dc7700 machine and I know precious little about RAID, fake or otherwise so I don't use it or at least not on purpose.

Steve

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:05 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org