FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Fedora User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 05-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Luke Sheldrick
 
Default Recommendation for FC9 graphics card

Well, reading the nvidia releast on their driver support for the new Xorg,
doesn't include my old GeForce 4 ti.

Need to get a new graphics card I guess.

Can anyone recommend one?

Needs to have:

-Support for FC9.
-AGP 8 (I believe).
-Support Dual Head.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated


--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-22-2008, 10:39 PM
"Lonni J Friedman"
 
Default Recommendation for FC9 graphics card

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 3:33 PM, Luke Sheldrick <luke@sheldrick.co.uk> wrote:
> Well, reading the nvidia releast on their driver support for the new Xorg,
> doesn't include my old GeForce 4 ti.
>
> Need to get a new graphics card I guess.
>
> Can anyone recommend one?
>
> Needs to have:
>
> -Support for FC9.
> -AGP 8 (I believe).
> -Support Dual Head.
>
> Any recommendations would be much appreciated

Finding any new AGP cards is going to be rather difficult.


--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
L. Friedman netllama@gmail.com
LlamaLand https://netllama.linux-sxs.org

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-22-2008, 10:58 PM
Luke Sheldrick
 
Default Recommendation for FC9 graphics card

Title: Re: Recommendation for FC9 graphics card



>Finding any new AGP cards is going to be rather difficult.



You could be right actually, hmm time to update the desktop at home I think, what cards (generally) are working well?



--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-22-2008, 11:11 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"
 
Default Recommendation for FC9 graphics card

Luke Sheldrick wrote:

Well, reading the nvidia releast on their driver support for the new Xorg,
doesn't include my old GeForce 4 ti.

Need to get a new graphics card I guess.

Can anyone recommend one?

Needs to have:

-Support for FC9.
-AGP 8 (I believe).
-Support Dual Head.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated


What's wrong with using the NVidia Legacy drivers? They still work with
the older cards that are no longer supported by the bleeding edge NVidia
drivers. I'm still using the 96xx drivers with my MX-400 card on F8.
F9 may have other problems, 2.6.25 is a problem in general as the
proprietary drivers struggle to catch up with the API changes in the new
kernels.


--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com
cummings@kjchome.homeip.net
cummings@kjc386.framingham.ma.us
Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org)

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-22-2008, 11:14 PM
Luke Sheldrick
 
Default Recommendation for FC9 graphics card

>What's wrong with using the NVidia Legacy drivers? They still work with
>the older cards that are no longer supported by the bleeding edge NVidia
>drivers. I'm still using the 96xx drivers with my MX-400 card on F8.
>F9 may have other problems, 2.6.25 is a problem in general as the
>proprietary drivers struggle to catch up with the API changes in the new
>kernels.

Well because as you say, they strugle to catch up, and at the mo, there isn't the support.

So rather than sit around and wait for someone to code an update, that will probably cripple any new features, why not update...

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-23-2008, 08:00 PM
Luke Sheldrick
 
Default Recommendation for FC9 graphics card

Title: Re: Recommendation for FC9 graphics card







On 23/05/2008 00:11, "Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:

What's wrong with using the NVidia Legacy drivers? *They still work with

the older cards that are no longer supported by the bleeding edge NVidia

drivers. *I'm still using the 96xx drivers with my MX-400 card on F8.

F9 may have other problems, 2.6.25 is a problem in general as the

proprietary drivers struggle to catch up with the API changes in the new

kernels.





Did you manage to get dual-head to work?



What drivers were you using? The ones from nvidia, or nv..etc?



--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-23-2008, 08:14 PM
"Kevin J. Cummings"
 
Default Recommendation for FC9 graphics card

Luke Sheldrick wrote:



On 23/05/2008 00:11, "Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net>
wrote:


What's wrong with using the NVidia Legacy drivers? They still work with
the older cards that are no longer supported by the bleeding edge NVidia
drivers. I'm still using the 96xx drivers with my MX-400 card on F8.
F9 may have other problems, 2.6.25 is a problem in general as the
proprietary drivers struggle to catch up with the API changes in the new
kernels.



Did you manage to get dual-head to work?


No, I'm not (yet) using dual head. I'm using them for the 3D support
for MythTV.



What drivers were you using? The ones from nvidia, or nv..etc?


NVidia from Livna but on F8. I did notice that F9 versions had been
released however. My F9 machine has an ATI graphics card.


--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome@rcn.com
cummings@kjchome.homeip.net
cummings@kjc386.framingham.ma.us
Registered Linux User #1232 (http://counter.li.org)

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-23-2008, 08:25 PM
Luke Sheldrick
 
Default Recommendation for FC9 graphics card

Title: Re: Recommendation for FC9 graphics card



On 23/05/2008 21:14, "Kevin J. Cummings" <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net> wrote:



No, I'm not (yet) using dual head. *I'm using them for the 3D support

for MythTV.



> What drivers were you using? The ones from nvidia, or nv..etc?



NVidia from Livna but on F8. *I did notice that F9 versions had been

released however. *My F9 machine has an ATI graphics card.



Ah ok, not too fussed about 3D, but need dual head to work, as a necessity



--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 
Old 05-24-2008, 07:36 AM
Kevin Kofler
 
Default Recommendation for FC9 graphics card

Luke Sheldrick <luke <at> sheldrick.co.uk> writes:
> Need to get a new graphics card I guess.
>
> Can anyone recommend one?

AMD ("ATI") Radeons up to X1050 (where actually X850 is the most powerful one,
the X1050 is a marketing name for a card from the X300/X550/X600 series) are
well-supported (by the Free radeon driver, no need for the proprietary fglrx
driver), but be warned that I don't know how well dual-head works with those or
even if they support it. Most of the 'X' cards are PCI-Express (that's what
the 'X' stands for), but AFAIK some of them are available in AGP versions too.
The 9200/9250 series is an AGP card which is really well supported, but once
again, I don't know much about dual-head.

Also, if you use KDE and need dual-head to work well, don't upgrade to F9 just
yet, Plasma in KDE 4.0 is known to behave strangely with more than one screen:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=440239

Kevin Kofler

--
fedora-list mailing list
fedora-list@redhat.com
To unsubscribe: https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/fedora-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:45 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org