Old 05-22-2008, 09:30 PM
Aaron Konstam

Default Writing CD is driving me crazy.using xcdroast

I have done his before but I can't do it now.

I start xcdroast and go though the setup. My CD device is found.
I then I go to Master Tracks and my CD device is indicated.
I set up the session I want to burn but at the top of the display it
indicates no CD Loaded.

Sure enough when I got to burn the CD on the fly I get a message there
is no CD in the drive. I can see the Blank CD on my desktop.

This works in WinXP. Where have I gone wrong?

Old 05-23-2008, 09:22 AM
Anne Wilson

On Thursday 22 May 2008 22:30, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I have done his before but I can't do it now.
>
> I start xcdroast and go though the setup. My CD device is found.
> I then I go to Master Tracks and my CD device is indicated.
> I set up the session I want to burn but at the top of the display it
> indicates no CD Loaded.
>
> Sure enough when I got to burn the CD on the fly I get a message there
> is no CD in the drive. I can see the Blank CD on my desktop.
>
> This works in WinXP. Where have I gone wrong?

Have you checked that the CD isn't mounted? It may be the wrong error
message. I think you have to have the CD available but not mounted before
you can burn.

Anne

Old 05-23-2008, 01:34 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 10:22 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 22 May 2008 22:30, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > I have done his before but I can't do it now.
> >
> > I start xcdroast and go though the setup. My CD device is found.
> > I then I go to Master Tracks and my CD device is indicated.
> > I set up the session I want to burn but at the top of the display it
> > indicates no CD Loaded.
> >
> > Sure enough when I got to burn the CD on the fly I get a message there
> > is no CD in the drive. I can see the Blank CD on my desktop.
> >
> > This works in WinXP. Where have I gone wrong?
> >
> Have you checked that the CD isn't mounted? It may be the wrong error
> message. I think you have to have the CD available but not mounted before
> you can burn.

Also, you might want to try a different burn app such as k3b.

poc

Old 05-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 10:22 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Thursday 22 May 2008 22:30, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > I have done his before but I can't do it now.
> >
> > I start xcdroast and go though the setup. My CD device is found.
> > I then I go to Master Tracks and my CD device is indicated.
> > I set up the session I want to burn but at the top of the display it
> > indicates no CD Loaded.
> >
> > Sure enough when I got to burn the CD on the fly I get a message there
> > is no CD in the drive. I can see the Blank CD on my desktop.
> >
> > This works in WinXP. Where have I gone wrong?
> >
> Have you checked that the CD isn't mounted? It may be the wrong error
> message. I think you have to have the CD available but not mounted before
> you can burn.
>
> Anne

I thought of that.. But How do you check if the CD is mounted?
I unchecked the two options under Preferences->Hardware->Removable Drives and Media
that seem to be related to that.
Running mount does not show the CD mounted but I still see the image of
thew CD on the Desktop. So I am stumped. Any further help out there? k3b does the same thing..

Old 05-23-2008, 04:10 PM
"Patrick O'Callaghan"

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 09:54 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 10:22 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 22 May 2008 22:30, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > I have done his before but I can't do it now.
> > >
> > > I start xcdroast and go though the setup. My CD device is found.
> > > I then I go to Master Tracks and my CD device is indicated.
> > > I set up the session I want to burn but at the top of the display it
> > > indicates no CD Loaded.
> > >
> > > Sure enough when I got to burn the CD on the fly I get a message there
> > > is no CD in the drive. I can see the Blank CD on my desktop.
> > >
> > > This works in WinXP. Where have I gone wrong?
> > >
> > Have you checked that the CD isn't mounted? It may be the wrong error
> > message. I think you have to have the CD available but not mounted before
> > you can burn.
> >
> > Anne
> >
> I thought of that.. But How do you check if the CD is mounted?
> I unchecked the two options under Preferences->Hardware->Removable Drives and Media
> that seem to be related to that.
> Running mount does not show the CD mounted but I still see the image of
> thew CD on the Desktop. So I am stumped. Any further help out there? k3b does the same thing..

Really stupid question: are you sure the CD is in a burner and not
simply a reader? Does k3b say "no media present" in the top left corner,
or does it simply fail when you try to do a burn?

poc

Old 05-23-2008, 04:19 PM
Anne Wilson

On Friday 23 May 2008 15:54:36 Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 10:22 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > On Thursday 22 May 2008 22:30, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > > I have done his before but I can't do it now.
> > >
> > > I start xcdroast and go though the setup. My CD device is found.
> > > I then I go to Master Tracks and my CD device is indicated.
> > > I set up the session I want to burn but at the top of the display it
> > > indicates no CD Loaded.
> > >
> > > Sure enough when I got to burn the CD on the fly I get a message there
> > > is no CD in the drive. I can see the Blank CD on my desktop.
> > >
> > > This works in WinXP. Where have I gone wrong?
> >
> > Have you checked that the CD isn't mounted? It may be the wrong error
> > message. I think you have to have the CD available but not mounted
> > before you can burn.
> >
> > Anne
>
> I thought of that.. But How do you check if the CD is mounted?
> I unchecked the two options under Preferences->Hardware->Removable Drives
> and Media that seem to be related to that.
> Running mount does not show the CD mounted but I still see the image of
> thew CD on the Desktop. So I am stumped. Any further help out there? k3b
> does the same thing..

You said you can see the blank CD on the desktop? A right-click should offer
to mount or umount, depending on current status.

Anne

Old 05-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Tim

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 17:19 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> You said you can see the blank CD on the desktop? A right-click
> should offer to mount or umount, depending on current status.

You can't mount a blank disc, it's impossible...

An icon for a blank disc isn't actually a mounted disc, it's just an
icon for doing something with the disc.

--
(This box runs Centos 5.0, my others still run FC 4, 5, 6, & 7, in case that's
important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:44 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 11:40 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 09:54 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> > > Have you checked that the CD isn't mounted? It may be the wrong error
> > > message. I think you have to have the CD available but not mounted before
> > > you can burn.
> > >
> > > Anne
> > >
> > I thought of that.. But How do you check if the CD is mounted?
> > I unchecked the two options under Preferences->Hardware->Removable Drives and Media
> > that seem to be related to that.
> > Running mount does not show the CD mounted but I still see the image of
> > thew CD on the Desktop. So I am stumped. Any further help out there? k3b does the same thing..
>
> Really stupid question: are you sure the CD is in a burner and not
> simply a reader? Does k3b say "no media present" in the top left corner,
> or does it simply fail when you try to do a burn?
>
> poc

Well its a CD burner. Now the partial good news. k3b now works but
xcdroast does not as described above..
Which still leaves the mystery. I don't know what I did to make k3b work
and I still am frustrated about xcdroast.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:47 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 17:19 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Friday 23 May 2008 15:54:36 Aaron Konstam wrote:

> > > Have you checked that the CD isn't mounted? It may be the wrong error
> > > message. I think you have to have the CD available but not mounted
> > > before you can burn.
> > >
> > > Anne
> >
> > I thought of that.. But How do you check if the CD is mounted?
> > I unchecked the two options under Preferences->Hardware->Removable Drives
> > and Media that seem to be related to that.
> > Running mount does not show the CD mounted but I still see the image of
> > thew CD on the Desktop. So I am stumped. Any further help out there? k3b
> > does the same thing..
> >
> You said you can see the blank CD on the desktop? A right-click should offer
> to mount or umount, depending on current status.
>
> Anne
No there is no mount option and there cannot be, since the blank disk
has no filesystem so it cannot be mounted in the ordinary way.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Sat, 2008-05-24 at 01:55 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 17:19 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > You said you can see the blank CD on the desktop? A right-click
> > should offer to mount or umount, depending on current status.
>
> You can't mount a blank disc, it's impossible...
>
> An icon for a blank disc isn't actually a mounted disc, it's just an
> icon for doing something with the disc.
>
> --
You are right again. II realized that later.