Old 05-22-2008, 08:39 PM
"Dave Burns"

Default wireless fc8 dell latitude d400

Is there a canonical source to RTFM? Googling gets a million hits, no
relevance so far.

I am trying to connect to a WEP network. I left click on the
NetworkManger icon upper right, select 'connect to other wireless
network', it opens a dialog, I type in network name, select 128 bit
wep and enter the key, hit connect. log contents after that:
[root@iprctmp1 mail]# tail /var/log/messages [...]
May 22 10:25:10 iprctmp1 NetworkManager: <info> User request for
activation of wlan0.
May 22 10:25:10 iprctmp1 NetworkManager: <WARN> one_property_cb():
Ignorning invalid property 'name'
May 22 10:25:10 iprctmp1 NetworkManager: <WARN> one_property_cb():
Ignorning invalid property 'name'
May 22 10:25:10 iprctmp1 NetworkManager: connection_updated_cb:
assertion `old_connection != NULL' failed
May 22 10:25:15 iprctmp1 NetworkManager:last message repeated 6 times
May 22 10:25:15 iprctmp1 NetworkManager: <info> wlan0: didn't receive
connection details soon enough for activation.
May 22 10:25:15 iprctmp1 NetworkManager: <WARN>
wait_for_connection_expired(): Failed to activate device wlan0: (0)
Connection was not provided by any settings service

googled NetworkManager: <WARN> one_property_cb(, no hits.

Is there some other service/daemon that should be running?

Here is a big blurb of relevant(?) info:
[root@iprctmp1 mail]# iwconfig; lspci; rpm -q ipw2200-firmware;
/etc/init.d/network status; /etc/init.d/NetworkManager status;
/etc/init.d/NetworkManagerDispatcher status;
/etc/init.d/wpa_supplicant status; dmesg | grep -i wlan0
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wmaster0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:""
Mode:Managed Channel:0 Access Point: Not-Associated
Tx-Power=0 dBm
Retry min limit:7 RTS thrff Fragment thr=2346 B
Encryption keyff
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0

sit0 no wireless extensions.

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82852/82855 GM/GME/PM/GMV
Processor to I/O Controller (rev 02)
00:00.1 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82852/82855 GM/GME/PM/GMV
Processor to I/O Controller (rev 02)
00:00.3 System peripheral: Intel Corporation 82852/82855 GM/GME/PM/GMV
Processor to I/O Controller (rev 02)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM
Integrated Graphics Device (rev 02)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 82852/855GM Integrated
Graphics Device (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
(ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
(ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
(ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-M)
USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 81)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) LPC Interface
Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DBM (ICH4-M) IDE
Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.5 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
(ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.6 Modem: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M)
AC'97 Modem Controller (rev 01)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5705M
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 01)
01:01.0 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI7510 PC card Cardbus
Controller (rev 01)
01:01.1 CardBus bridge: Texas Instruments PCI7510,7610 PC card Cardbus
Controller (rev 01)
01:01.2 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments PCI7410,7510,7610
OHCI-Lynx Controller
01:01.3 System peripheral: Texas Instruments PCI7410,7510,7610 PCI
Firmware Loading Function
01:03.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4309 802.11a/b/g (rev 02)
ipw2200-firmware-3.0-9
Configured devices:
lo eth0
Currently active devices:
lo eth0
NetworkManager (pid 8619) is running...
NetworkManagerDispatcher (pid 8648) is running...
wpa_supplicant (pid 8632) is running...
[root@iprctmp1 mail]#

Thanks in advance for any hints.
Dave

Old 05-23-2008, 04:15 AM
"James Corteciano"

Hi Dave,

Try to use WEP 40/128-bit Hexadecimal in Security portion and put your correct key. If it is still persist, you may try to configure by issuing system-config-network command or by going to* System > Administration > Network > New > Wireless Connection > Forward and choose your wireless adapter then follow the rest of instructions.

Good luck!

Cheers,

-james

[...]

* * * * *Rx invalid nwid:0 *Rx invalid crypt:0 *Rx invalid frag:0

* * * * *Tx excessive retries:0 *Invalid misc:0 * Missed beacon:0

Linux Registered User #380364

Old 05-23-2008, 05:13 AM
"Paul Johnson"

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Dave Burns <tburns@hawaii.edu> wrote:
> Is there a canonical source to RTFM? Googling gets a million hits, no
> relevance so far.
>
> I am trying to connect to a WEP network. I left click on the
> NetworkManger icon upper right, select 'connect to other wireless
> network', it opens a dialog, I type in network name, select 128 bit
> wep and enter the key, hit connect. log contents after that:
> [root@iprctmp1 mail]# tail /var/log/messages [...]

Hey, man, many of us have been there.

Can I ask some basics?

1. Can you connect to ANY wireless networks, ones without WEP or other
encryption?

2. You can try two approaches to get connections. EITHER use
NetworkManager or you can try the manual approach. But both don't
generally work at the same time. NetworkManager will wreck your
manual effort, and your manual effort will frustrate NetworkManager.

To use NetworkManager, use system-config-services to turn ON
networkManager and turn OFF network and wpa supplicant. In Fedora 8,
I'm getting pretty good results with that. The alternative is to
turn OFF NetowrkManager, wpa supplicant, and leave network on. I was
one of the people who kept trying to do everything, so NetworkManager
never worked. Then I learned that one is supposed to have
wpasupplicant and network services were off. If you turn off
NetworkManager, then you take the more old fashioned approach, but it
does work if you study it carefully. You use system-config-network to
try to manually put in the settings. There is a point and click
"activate" button. That writes scripts into
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and you can turn connections on and off
with /sbin/ifup wlan0 and /sbin/ifdown wlan0.
If you don't want to use that approach, you can get even more basic,
and do the really old fashioned way, the commands like "iwconfig" and
such that you can google about.

If you turn off networkmanager, in system-config-network, you can go
into the wirelss thing and put in your wep key. If it is hexadecimal,
and I think most of them will be, you put 0x at the front of the
string. I once visited a place with a 128 bit key and it made me
laugh to type it out 0xabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz. That will get
written into /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts in a file called
wlan0-keys or such, and you can study how that is put together.
Sometimes, I have found it really does help to specify the channel on
which the router is broadcasting in the setup file.

3. Run "/sbin/iwlist scan" to see a list of wireless access points.
Does the server you are looking for appear in the way that you expect?

I don't have the Broadcom card that you have. Mine are all Intel, and
I know the Broadcoms were slower to receive support.

HTH!

PJ

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science

Old 05-23-2008, 05:41 AM
"Dave Burns"

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 7:13 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Dave Burns <tburns@hawaii.edu> wrote:
>> Is there a canonical source to RTFM? Googling gets a million hits, no
>> relevance so far.
>>
>> I am trying to connect to a WEP network. I left click on the
>> NetworkManger icon upper right, select 'connect to other wireless
>> network', it opens a dialog, I type in network name, select 128 bit
>> wep and enter the key, hit connect. log contents after that:
>> [root@iprctmp1 mail]# tail /var/log/messages [...]
>>

> Hey, man, many of us have been there.
>
> Can I ask some basics?
>
> 1. Can you connect to ANY wireless networks, ones without WEP or other
> encryption?

The WEP is the only network I have access to.

> 2. You can try two approaches to get connections. EITHER use
> NetworkManager or you can try the manual approach. But both don't
> generally work at the same time. NetworkManager will wreck your
> manual effort, and your manual effort will frustrate NetworkManager.
>
> To use NetworkManager, use system-config-services to turn ON
> networkManager and turn OFF network and wpa supplicant. In Fedora 8,
> I'm getting pretty good results with that. The alternative is to
> turn OFF NetowrkManager, wpa supplicant, and leave network on.

So wpa_supplicant never on, network and NetworkManager pick one not
both. Isn't there an encryption issue with NM? I think I tried with
network off and still no joy, could that be my problem?

Also wpa_supplicant was acting strange - I used every means to stop
it, init would start it again. It must've gotten into inittab. But I
think my latest reboot has put a stake in its heart.

So the plan is
* make sure network and wwpa_supplicant off, try once more with NM
*if no good, turn off NM, turn on network, fiddle with network-scripts
*if still no good, maybe try wifi-radar
*google iwconfig

> and do the really old fashioned way, the commands like "iwconfig" and
> such that you can google about.
> If you turn off networkmanager, in system-config-network, you can go
> into the wirelss thing and put in your wep key. If it is hexadecimal,
> and I think most of them will be, you put 0x at the front of the
> string.

Ah! That could have been my problem!

> I once visited a place with a 128 bit key and it made me
> laugh to type it out 0xabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz. That will get
> written into /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts in a file called
> wlan0-keys or such, and you can study how that is put together.
> Sometimes, I have found it really does help to specify the channel on
> which the router is broadcasting in the setup file.

How would I know the channel?

> 3. Run "/sbin/iwlist scan" to see a list of wireless access points.
> Does the server you are looking for appear in the way that you expect?

Don't know yet, I'm out of range now. I'll try it tomorrow.

> I don't have the Broadcom card that you have. Mine are all Intel, and
> I know the Broadcoms were slower to receive support.

Geez, this laptop's 3 years old! Guess Dell didn't sell many of them
to linux enthusiasts.

Anyhow, thanks much.

Dave

Old 05-23-2008, 02:11 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 19:41 -1000, Dave Burns wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 7:13 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Dave Burns <tburns@hawaii.edu>
> wrote:
> >> Is there a canonical source to RTFM? Googling gets a million hits,
> no
> >> relevance so far.
> >>
> >> I am trying to connect to a WEP network. I left click on the
> >> NetworkManger icon upper right, select 'connect to other wireless
> >> network', it opens a dialog, I type in network name, select 128 bit
> >> wep and enter the key, hit connect. log contents after that:
> >> [root@iprctmp1 mail]# tail /var/log/messages [...]
> >>

> > Hey, man, many of us have been there.
> >
> > Can I ask some basics?
> >
> > 1. Can you connect to ANY wireless networks, ones without WEP or
> other
> > encryption?
>
> The WEP is the only network I have access to.
Some questions. You d have NM on and network and wpa_supplicant off?
When you left click on nm-applet do you not see a list of available
APs ?
Is the ESSID for your WEP AP hidden?

Old 05-23-2008, 07:52 PM
"Dave Burns"

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 4:11 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Some questions. You d have NM on and network and wpa_supplicant off?

Had a hard time turning wpa_s off. I'd stop it and init would
immediately restart it. I had to stop NM, stop wpa_s, then could
restart NM and wpa_s stayed off. Damn! I just tried connecting again
and wpa_supplicant has come back to life!

> When you left click on nm-applet do you not see a list of available APs ?

I see 3 grayed out items ('wired network', 'auto ethernet', and
'wireless networks'), then vpn connections submenu, 'connect to other
wireless network', and 'create new wireless network'. I've been using
'connect to other wireless network' to try to connect.

> Is the ESSID for your WEP AP hidden?

I guess. How can I tell?

Looks like I stumbled upon the answer to my original question about
where to RTFM: http://fedoramobile.org/Members/MrHappy/getting-started

After looking at that maybe my questions will become more intelligent.

Dave

Old 05-23-2008, 08:22 PM
"Paul Johnson"

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Dave Burns <tburns@hawaii.edu> wrote:
> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 4:11 AM, Aaron Konstam <akonstam@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>> Some questions. You d have NM on and network and wpa_supplicant off?
>
> Had a hard time turning wpa_s off. I'd stop it and init would
> immediately restart it. I had to stop NM, stop wpa_s, then could
> restart NM and wpa_s stayed off. Damn! I just tried connecting again
> and wpa_supplicant has come back to life!

Turn off the wpa SERVICE in system-config-services. The NM will start
its own supplicant when it needs it. Leave that alone.

Go to a coffee shop or other such place that has an open unencrypted
wireless. They are cropping up all around here, don't you have some
there?

>> When you left click on nm-applet do you not see a list of available APs ?
>
> I see 3 grayed out items ('wired network', 'auto ethernet', and
> 'wireless networks'), then vpn connections submenu, 'connect to other
> wireless network', and 'create new wireless network'. I've been using
> 'connect to other wireless network' to try to connect.
>
>> Is the ESSID for your WEP AP hidden?
>
> I guess. How can I tell?

Run "/sbin/iwlist scan" to see networks around you.