Old 05-22-2008, 08:26 PM
William Case

Default Grub prettiness -- splashimage ?? -- re-phrasing

Hi;

My original wording was too quickly written. Re-write:

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 15:59 -0400, William Case wrote:
Hi;

Not an important question, but grub
splashimagee=(hd1,4)/grub/splash.xpm.gz did catch my attention.

Two questions;
1) At boot time a Fedora 8 image quickly (0.5 seconds or less) flashes
on my screen, then does something in a blank screen; then loads the grub
menu. Can I either remove the quick Fedora 8 flash (splash.xpm.gz(??))
or extend its life so it can be read/seen?

2) Just for eye-candy's sake, does anyone know of a better (prettier)
grub menu layout that I might download and replace existing menu with?

--
Regards Bill

Old 05-23-2008, 12:15 AM
Cameron Simpson

On 22May2008 16:26, William Case <billlinux@rogers.com> wrote:
| Not an important question, but grub
| splashimagee=(hd1,4)/grub/splash.xpm.gz did catch my attention.

Yes, that's the splash image. It has some size and colour map
constraints.

| Two questions;
| 1) At boot time a Fedora 8 image quickly (0.5 seconds or less) flashes
| on my screen, then does something in a blank screen; then loads the grub
| menu. Can I either remove the quick Fedora 8 flash (splash.xpm.gz(??))
| or extend its life so it can be read/seen?
|
| 2) Just for eye-candy's sake, does anyone know of a better (prettier)
| grub menu layout that I might download and replace existing menu with?

Regarding the physical layour of the menu, I have no idea.

Regarding the splash image, I use this:

http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/css/bin/mkgrubsplash

The important part of that is the:

gm convert - -geometry 640x480 -colors 14 xpm:- | gzip -9

GraphicsMagick incantation. More normally:

gm convert source-image-file.png -geometry 640x480 -colors 14 xpm:-
| gzip -9 >new-grub-splash.xpm.gz

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Sometimes the only solution is to find a new problem.