Old 05-22-2008, 07:50 PM
"Debasish Das"

Default Touchpad on Dell

Hi William,
Please add the following line in ServerLayout section of /etc/X11/xorg.conf

InputDevice "TouchPad" "CorePointer"

Then add the following lines out of ServerLayout section in the same file.

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "synaptics"
Identifier "TouchPad"
Option "SendCoreEvents"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "SHMConfig" "on"
Option "TapButton1" "1"
Option "TapButton2" "2"
EndSection

Now just restart the X. I think you will be able to use touch pad then.

Thanks,
Debasish

Old 05-22-2008, 10:10 PM
William Burrows

The touchpad is still useless. Did I do it correctly? Is there anything I should remove? Thanks

#Xorg configuration created by pyxf86config

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "TouchPad" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Driver "synaptics"
Identifier "TouchPad"
Option "SendCoreEvents"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "SHMConfig" "on"
Option "TapButton1" "1"
Option "TapButton2" "2"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# keyboard added by rhpxl
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us+inet"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nv"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
DefaultDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Viewport 0 0
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Old 05-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Aaron Konstam

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 18:10 -0400, William Burrows wrote:
> The touchpad is still useless. Did I do it correctly? Is there anything I should remove? Thanks
This is what the single clause looks like on my DELL D810

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
Option "LeftEdge" "120"
Option "RightEdge" "830"
Option "TopEdge" "120"
Option "BottomEdge" "650"
Option "FingerLow" "14"
Option "FingerHigh" "15"
Option "MaxTapMove" "110"
Option "VertScrollDelta" "20"
Option "HorizScrollDelta" "20"
Option "MinSpeed" "0.3"
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.75"
EndSection

Old 05-26-2008, 02:18 PM
William Burrows

A-HA! I don't think the problem is with the synaptics driver. It's
deeper then that. When I initially boot up, my dmesg looks normal, but
as soon as I try to use my touchpad, BOOM!, errors start spilling out:

psmouse.c: Failed to reset mouse on isa0060/serio1
input: PS/2 Generic Mouse as /class/input/input13
psmouse.c: Failed to enable mouse on isa0060/serio1
psmouse.c: bad data from KBC - bad parity
psmouse.c: bad data from KBC - bad parity
psmouse.c: bad data from KBC - bad parity
psmouse.c: bad data from KBC - bad parity
psmouse.c: bad data from KBC - bad parity
psmouse.c: bad data from KBC - bad parity
psmouse.c: bad data from KBC - bad parity
psmouse.c: bad data from KBC - bad parity
psmouse.c: bad data from KBC - bad parity
psmouse.c: bad data from KBC - bad parity
psmouse.c: bad data from KBC - bad parity
psmouse.c: bad data from KBC - bad parity
psmouse.c: bad data from KBC - bad parity
psmouse.c: bad data from KBC - bad parity
psmouse.c: bad data from KBC - bad parity

I've tried a couple of of kernel options to no avail Some on the
internets think it might be related to the network driver (wlan0
iwl4965). But there are no solutions that I could find. Has anybody
heard of a work around? Thanks

Aaron Konstam wrote:

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 18:10 -0400, William Burrows wrote:

The touchpad is still useless. Did I do it correctly? Is there anything I should remove? Thanks

This is what the single clause looks like on my DELL D810

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Synaptics"
Driver "synaptics"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "Protocol" "auto-dev"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "yes"
Option "LeftEdge" "120"
Option "RightEdge" "830"
Option "TopEdge" "120"
Option "BottomEdge" "650"
Option "FingerLow" "14"
Option "FingerHigh" "15"
Option "MaxTapMove" "110"
Option "VertScrollDelta" "20"
Option "HorizScrollDelta" "20"
Option "MinSpeed" "0.3"
Option "MaxSpeed" "0.75"
EndSection

How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat? -- Pink Floyd

Old 05-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Steve Forsythe

Old 05-26-2008, 03:52 PM
William Burrows

OMG, Steve you are a saint!!!!!! I am using a m1530 and all the basic
kernel parameters failed. That strange yet beautiful option worked like
a charm.