Old 05-22-2008, 07:26 PM
"Jason D. Triolo"

Default Updating the background image

There's a webcam image that I want to use as background wallpaper, and
have that image automatically update at a given interval. I was able to
do this with a script, up through Fedora 6. The script stopped working
from 7 and up, and I abandoned the project.

As I move to 9, I would like to get that little toy back. Downloading
the image is the easy part (the script still does that flawlessly), but
the problem comes in getting the GNOME desktop to see the changed file
and apply the change.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Thanks,
Jasono

Old 05-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Sjoerd Mullender

There's a webcam image that I want to use as background wallpaper, and
have that image automatically update at a given interval. I was able to
do this with a script, up through Fedora 6. The script stopped working
from 7 and up, and I abandoned the project.

As I move to 9, I would like to get that little toy back. Downloading
the image is the easy part (the script still does that flawlessly), but
the problem comes in getting the GNOME desktop to see the changed file
and apply the change.

Can anyone offer some advice?

Perhaps you can use (one line, all but last argument as is):

gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename
/path/to/file.jpg

--
Sjoerd Mullender

Old 05-22-2008, 11:08 PM
"Jason D. Triolo"

Sjoerd Mullender wrote:

Perhaps you can use (one line, all but last argument as is):

gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename
/path/to/file.jpg

Unfortunately, this didn't help. In order for the image to change, I
have to right-click on the desktop and select "Change Desktop Background."

When I do that, of course, the thumbnail images appear. Once it loads
the updated image (under the same filename as its predecessor) as a
thumbnail, only then does the background update. My goal is to find a
way to fully automate the process.

Thanks for the help...any other ideas?

Jason

Old 06-01-2008, 10:12 AM
"Mike Williams"

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 7:08 PM, Jason D. Triolo <jasonacg@citicom.com> wrote:
> Sjoerd Mullender wrote:
>
>> Perhaps you can use (one line, all but last argument as is):
>>
>> gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename /path/to/file.jpg
>
> Unfortunately, this didn't help. In order for the image to change, I have to
> right-click on the desktop and select "Change Desktop Background."

Interesting, on my system the desktop changes immediately when I use
the command that Sjoerd suggested.

At first it didn't work, then I realized was running as root and had
changed the background for the root user, which had no effect because
X was running as a different user.

When running as the user I use when I run startx the background
changed right away.

Did a bit more tinkering to try to replicate your problem, and found
something that may help. I noticed that the contents of
~/.gconf/desktop/gnome/background contains a timestamp. If I just
copied a new image to the same filename as the old image nothing
happened and I got the same results as you did. However, if I first
touched the file, then copied the image and then ran gconftool the
image changed right away.

The key seems to be to use the sequence of: touch, cp, then gconftool-2

To test this out I wrote a perl program to cycle through a directory
of images and ran it as a cron job and it worked fine.

BTW - this was on a fedora 7 box.

Mike