Old 05-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Craig White

Default Vertical bars in status tray (KDE4-F9)

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 18:22 +0100, Bill Crawford wrote:
> 2008/5/22 Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com>:
> > I have two white vertical bar type objects in my system tray on KDE4
> > (F9)...one fairly thin, the other about twice the thickness.
> >
> > If I hover over them or right click on them, I get nothing.
> >
> > Does anyone know what they represent?
>
> Quite likely the "network manager applet" and possibly the "printer applet".
>
> See /etc/xdg/autostart/
----
I gather you are referring me to...

# grep panel /etc/xdg/autostart/*
redhat-print-applet.desktop:X-KDE-autostart-after=panel
sealertauto.desktop:X-KDE-autostart-after=panel
user-dirs-update-gtk.desktop:X-KDE-autostart-after=panel

NetworkManager service isn't running

The presence of those bars seems meaningless to me.

Thanks

Craig

Old 05-22-2008, 05:41 PM
"Bill Crawford"

2008/5/22 Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com>:

> I gather you are referring me to...
>
> # grep panel /etc/xdg/autostart/*
> redhat-print-applet.desktop:X-KDE-autostart-after=panel
> sealertauto.desktop:X-KDE-autostart-after=panel
> user-dirs-update-gtk.desktop:X-KDE-autostart-after=panel
>
> NetworkManager service isn't running
>
> The presence of those bars seems meaningless to me.

Yeah, I saw something similar a while back and "cured" it by rm -f
/etc/xdg/autostart/* ... if the service isn't running that would
explain the applet not showing up properly. Failing that, I don't
know, but I suspect something similar (some applet that's decided to
not show up for the time being). Could just be debris left from
drawing the ones that are showing up and not redrawing some bit of
screen in between?

Old 05-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Colin J Thomson

On Thursday 22 May 2008 18:37:06 Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 18:22 +0100, Bill Crawford wrote:
> > 2008/5/22 Craig White <craigwhite@azapple.com>:
> > > I have two white vertical bar type objects in my system tray on KDE4
> > > (F9)...one fairly thin, the other about twice the thickness.
> > >
> > > If I hover over them or right click on them, I get nothing.
> > >
> > > Does anyone know what they represent?
> >
> > Quite likely the "network manager applet" and possibly the "printer
> > applet".
> >
> > See /etc/xdg/autostart/
>
> ----
> I gather you are referring me to...
>
> # grep panel /etc/xdg/autostart/*
> redhat-print-applet.desktop:X-KDE-autostart-after=panel
> sealertauto.desktop:X-KDE-autostart-after=panel
> user-dirs-update-gtk.desktop:X-KDE-autostart-after=panel
>
> NetworkManager service isn't running
>
> The presence of those bars seems meaningless to me.

Restart Plasma and see if they go away,

kquitapp plasma && plasma &

There is a bug # for this but I don't remember it off hand.

Colin
--
Fedora 9 (Sulphur)
Registered Linux user number #342953

Old 05-22-2008, 05:53 PM
Craig White

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 18:45 +0100, Colin J Thomson wrote:
> On Thursday 22 May 2008 18:37:06 Craig White wrote:

> > > Quite likely the "network manager applet" and possibly the "printer
> > > applet".
> > >
> > > See /etc/xdg/autostart/
> >
> > ----
> > I gather you are referring me to...
> >
> > # grep panel /etc/xdg/autostart/*
> > redhat-print-applet.desktop:X-KDE-autostart-after=panel
> > sealertauto.desktop:X-KDE-autostart-after=panel
> > user-dirs-update-gtk.desktop:X-KDE-autostart-after=panel
> >
> > NetworkManager service isn't running
> >
> > The presence of those bars seems meaningless to me.
>
> Restart Plasma and see if they go away,
>
> kquitapp plasma && plasma &
>
> There is a bug # for this but I don't remember it off hand.
----
that worked...thanks

Craig

Old 05-23-2008, 02:54 PM
Rex Dieter

Craig White wrote:

> I have two white vertical bar type objects in my system tray on KDE4
> (F9)...one fairly thin, the other about twice the thickness.
>
> If I hover over them or right click on them, I get nothing.
>
> Does anyone know what they represent?

gtk-based applets that don't draw their systray icons correctly in kde's
argb colorspace.

-- Rex

Old 05-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Andrea

Rex Dieter wrote:

Craig White wrote:

gtk-based applets that don't draw their systray icons correctly in kde's
argb colorspace.

It is a known bug?
Is there a solution other than:
kquitapp plasma && plasma &

I attach a screen image to show exactly what it looks like.

Andrea

Old 05-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Rex Dieter

Andrea wrote:

> Rex Dieter wrote:
>> Craig White wrote:
>>

>> gtk-based applets that don't draw their systray icons correctly in kde's
>> argb colorspace.

> It is a known bug?

Yes, though unfortunately, to much finger pointing (kde blaming gtk and
vice-versa) going on for my taste.

-- Rex

Old 06-11-2008, 04:12 AM
Craig White

On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 10:53 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-22 at 18:45 +0100, Colin J Thomson wrote:

> > > ----
> > > I gather you are referring me to...
> > >
> > > # grep panel /etc/xdg/autostart/*
> > > redhat-print-applet.desktop:X-KDE-autostart-after=panel
> > > sealertauto.desktop:X-KDE-autostart-after=panel
> > > user-dirs-update-gtk.desktop:X-KDE-autostart-after=panel
> > >
> > > NetworkManager service isn't running
> > >
> > > The presence of those bars seems meaningless to me.
> >
> > Restart Plasma and see if they go away,
> >
> > kquitapp plasma && plasma &
> >
> > There is a bug # for this but I don't remember it off hand.
> ----
> that worked...thanks
----
just a notation to this old thread that I have saved...

it seems with the latest version of KDE4, the first time I run this
command...

kquitapp plasma && plasma &

it fails partway through with...

plasma(10765)/kio (KDirWatch) KDirWatchPrivate::removeEntry: Cancelled
INotify (fd 20, 1) for "/home/craig/Desktop"
plasma(10765)/kio (KDirWatch) KDirWatchPrivate::removeEntry: Removed Dir
"/home/craig/Desktop" for "" ["KDirWatch-1"]
plasma(18157): Communication problem with "plasma" , it probably
crashed.
Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message
did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "

but then I run it one more time and this time it works

Craig