Old 11-30-2007, 04:00 PM
bravo_elf

Default Fan runs constantly on (Acer TravelMate 4602WLMi ) Please help me.

Hello everyone,

Completely new to linux and need some help, and for about two month I look for some answers for my problem, but with no success.

My laptop's fan works almost constantly in Fedora 8.

I've made some search and found this topic:*http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=330917

But its relates to Ubuntu Linux only.

In Fedora there are some folders: /etc/acpi/events. In these folders you can find these files: Power.conf and Video.conf

This is the print of those files:

****************

Power.conf

****************

# ACPID config to power down machine if powerbutton is pressed, but only if # no gnome-power-manager is running event=button/power.* action="" awwux | /bin/grep gnome-power-manager | /bin/grep -qv grep || /sbin/shutdown -h now

**************

Video.conf

**************

Code:

# Configuration to turn on DPMS again on video activity, needed for some # laptops. Disabled by default, uncomment if your laptop display stays blank # after you close and open the lid. #event=video.* #action="" dpms on

Please help me to solve this problem.

Just tell me how can I fix it or just to check if this situation is "Ok" or not.

What about all of those commands in*power.conf*and*video.conf?

Thanks in advance.*

**

--*

Best regards,

*bravo_elf * * * * * * * * * * * * *mailto:bravo.elf@gmail.com

Old 11-30-2007, 04:42 PM
bravo_elf

Hello everyone,

Completely new to linux and need some help, and for about two month I look for some answers for my problem, but with no success.

My laptop's fan works almost constantly in Fedora 8.

I've made some search and found this topic: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=330917

But its relates to Ubuntu Linux only.
In Fedora there are some folders: /etc/acpi/events. In these folders you can find these files: Power.conf and Video.conf

This is the print of those files:

****************
Power.conf
****************

# ACPID config to power down machine if powerbutton is pressed, but only if # no gnome-power-manager is running event=button/power.* action=/bin/ps awwux | /bin/grep gnome-power-manager | /bin/grep -qv grep || /sbin/shutdown -h now

**************
Video.conf
**************
Code:

# Configuration to turn on DPMS again on video activity, needed for some # laptops. Disabled by default, uncomment if your laptop display stays blank # after you close and open the lid. #event=video.* #action=/usr/sbin/vbetool dpms on

--
Best regards,
bravo_elf

Old 12-01-2007, 10:01 AM
Tom Horsley

On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 12:28:27 +0200
bravo_elf <bravo.elf@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Tom,
>
> Friday, November 30, 2007, 8:24:59 PM, you wrote:
>
> >> My laptop's fan works almost constantly in Fedora 8.
> >>
> >> I've made some search and found this topic:
> >> http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=330917
>
> > If this is a new fedora 8 install, the pcscd service is on by default
> > and the pcscd daemon is busted and runs constantly sucking up as much
> > cpu as it can get. Perhaps it is the culprit, heating up the cpu and
> > making the fan need to run?
>

> Hi,
>
> So only thing I need to do is to turn it off?
> How?

As root run: /etc/init.d/pcscd stop

That will turn it off temporarily and you can see if the fan stops
after things cool down.

To permanently turn it off run (also as root):

chkconfig --level 2345 pcscd off

> How will it affect on my system? I mean not only the fan, perhaps it
> turns off some other of hardware?

The pcscd service has something to do with smart card readers.
Unless you have a smart card reader, you won't need it running.
(There are bunches of other services you probably don't need
as well, all taking up memory and cycles).

To see all the services do: chkconfig --list
To get hints about what they do: rpm -q -i -f /etc/init.d/<servicename>