Old 11-30-2007, 02:27 PM
Albert Graham

Default I miss smbfs: cifs doesn't work as expected

Hi Nico,

I'm not sure if FC6 is the same as FC8 with respect to SMB but I assume
it is.

The main thing I noticed is that you are using forward slashes (i.e.
unix notation) and Windows uses "backslash /" notation,

e.g. on my machine I use:

# mount -t cifs -n //localhost/mydata /media -o username=windows
# password: <enter your password>

#mount
/#/localhost/mydata on /media type cifs (rw,mand)

Hope I didn't miss your point

Al.

Nico Sabbi wrote:

Hi,
with another distribution I could mount an SMB share as my user
(passing different credentials to mount.smbfs)
in such a manner that on my pc the mounted files appeared
to belong to my user.
The /etc/fstab entry was:

//server/dir /home/nico/dir smbfs
noauto,users,rw,noexec,username=MYUSERNAME,passwor d=MYPWD 0 0 0 0

In FC8, instead, using cifs I can't obtain the same result: mounting
always fails. The problem seems to be related to mount.cifs:

$ smb4k_mount -t cifs -n //server/dir ./a -o
username=MYUSERNAME,password=MYPWD

mount error 1 = Operation not permitted
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

How can I make this configuration work? I can neither change
the user exporting the share nor change my local user.

I'd like to use the good old smbfs, but it seems to have been
completely removed from Fedora kernels (why? ) .

Thanks,
Nico

Old 11-30-2007, 02:30 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Nico Sabbi wrote:
> Hi,
> with another distribution I could mount an SMB share as my user
> (passing different credentials to mount.smbfs)
> in such a manner that on my pc the mounted files appeared
> to belong to my user.
> The /etc/fstab entry was:
>
> //server/dir /home/nico/dir smbfs
> noauto,users,rw,noexec,username=MYUSERNAME,passwor d=MYPWD 0 0 0 0
>
> In FC8, instead, using cifs I can't obtain the same result: mounting
> always fails. The problem seems to be related to mount.cifs:
>
> $ smb4k_mount -t cifs -n //server/dir ./a -o
> username=MYUSERNAME,password=MYPWD
>
> mount error 1 = Operation not permitted
> Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)
>
> How can I make this configuration work? I can neither change
> the user exporting the share nor change my local user.
>
> I'd like to use the good old smbfs, but it seems to have been
> completely removed from Fedora kernels (why? ) .
>
> Thanks,
> Nico

I believe this has been covered a few times in different threads.
One difference between smbfs and cifs is the way cifs handles
looking up server names. You are probably going to have to specify
the server name, and possible the IP address.

mount -t cifs //mikkel/Backup /mnt/temp/ -o
servern=MIKKEL,MYUSERNAME,password=MYPWD,ip=192.16 8.1.9

Now, I can do a DNS lookup on mikkel so all I need is:

mount -t cifs //mikkel/Backup /mnt/temp/ -o
servern=MIKKEL,MYUSERNAME,password=MYPWD

Mikkel

Old 11-30-2007, 02:31 PM
Albert Graham

Albert Graham wrote:

Hi Nico,

I'm not sure if FC6 is the same as FC8 with respect to SMB but I
assume it is.

The main thing I noticed is that you are using forward slashes (i.e.
unix notation) and Windows uses "backslash /" notation,

Sorry, please ignore the above comment, its wrong ! but the example works.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:33 PM
"Tom Horsley"

> In FC8, instead, using cifs I can't obtain the same result: mounting
> always fails. The problem seems to be related to mount.cifs:

I hadn't tried cifs in Fedora 8 till I read this, so I gave the script
I was using in fedora 7 a try, and it wouldn't work anymore, but I didn't
get permission problems, I got an error telling me the UNC name
(which DID start with //) didn't start with // and needed to start with
either // or . To see if it would make it happy, I tried changing
all the forward slashes in my windows path names to pairs of backslashes
(to get them through shell processing), and then the mounts worked again.

I'll attach the silly script I run (as root) to do the mounting.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:06 PM
Nico Sabbi

Il Friday 30 November 2007 16:33:46 Tom Horsley ha scritto:
> > In FC8, instead, using cifs I can't obtain the same result:
> > mounting always fails. The problem seems to be related to
> > mount.cifs:
>
> I hadn't tried cifs in Fedora 8 till I read this, so I gave the
> script I was using in fedora 7 a try, and it wouldn't work anymore,
> but I didn't get permission problems, I got an error telling me the
> UNC name (which DID start with //) didn't start with // and needed
> to start with either // or . To see if it would make it happy, I
> tried changing all the forward slashes in my windows path names to
> pairs of backslashes (to get them through shell processing), and
> then the mounts worked again.
>
> I'll attach the silly script I run (as root) to do the mounting.

Thanks to the users that replied.
The problem is totally unrelated to DSN lookups.
To make it work I had to suid root /sbin/mount.cifs and add
-o user=workgroup/username%password,uid=500,gid=500
It's a disappointment and a big security concern
but at least it works (although I'm a bit surprised that
on a system where your can't eradicate selinux you have to
resort to the sledgehammer/suid to make user-mounts work).

Old 11-30-2007, 05:37 PM
Chris Snook

Nico Sabbi wrote:

I'd like to use the good old smbfs, but it seems to have been
completely removed from Fedora kernels (why? ) .

It's been deprecated for a very long time. All new development is happening on
cifs, and has been for years, so if you think there's really a cifs bug (rather
than simply a difference in syntax), please report a bug against cifs. The time
has come for us to let smbfs rest in peace.

-- Chris