Old 11-30-2007, 01:58 PM
Nico Sabbi

Default I miss smbfs: cifs doesn't work as expected

Hi,
with another distribution I could mount an SMB share as my user
(passing different credentials to mount.smbfs)
in such a manner that on my pc the mounted files appeared
to belong to my user.
The /etc/fstab entry was:

//server/dir /home/nico/dir smbfs
noauto,users,rw,noexec,username=MYUSERNAME,passwor d=MYPWD 0 0 0 0

In FC8, instead, using cifs I can't obtain the same result: mounting
always fails. The problem seems to be related to mount.cifs:

$ smb4k_mount -t cifs -n //server/dir ./a -o
username=MYUSERNAME,password=MYPWD

mount error 1 = Operation not permitted
Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g.man mount.cifs)

How can I make this configuration work? I can neither change
the user exporting the share nor change my local user.

I'd like to use the good old smbfs, but it seems to have been
completely removed from Fedora kernels (why? ) .

Thanks,
Nico