-   -   Kickstart and DHCP (http://www.linux-archive.org/fedora-user/9131-kickstart-dhcp.html)

Gary Schlachter 11-30-2007 12:43 PM

Kickstart and DHCP

I have a PXE boot setup trying to install FC7. After the PXE boot and
the vmlinuz and initrd.img are loaded, I am attempting to load FC7 via
NFS from kickstart. My kickstart file is loaded but when the server
attempts to acquire an IP address via DHCP before NFS mounted the drive,
it times out after multiple DHCP requests. Using ethereal, it appears
the DHCP server is responding correctly with the same IP address the PXE
server gave previously. For some currently unknown reason, the DHCP
response is ignored. Any ideas on why this would happen?

Gary

Langdon Stevenson 11-30-2007 11:24 PM

Kickstart and DHCP

Gary Schlachter wrote:
I have a PXE boot setup trying to install FC7. After the PXE boot and
the vmlinuz and initrd.img are loaded, I am attempting to load FC7 via
NFS from kickstart. My kickstart file is loaded but when the server
attempts to acquire an IP address via DHCP before NFS mounted the drive,
it times out after multiple DHCP requests. Using ethereal, it appears
the DHCP server is responding correctly with the same IP address the PXE
server gave previously. For some currently unknown reason, the DHCP
response is ignored. Any ideas on why this would happen?

Gary, I have never been able to get network installs to work unless I
specify a static IP. I had the same problems as you describe with DCHP
assigned IPs. In the end I went with static and the problem evaporated.

Regards,
Langdon