Old 11-30-2007, 09:39 AM
Ingemar Nilsson

Default Timed wakeup?

Hi,

I would like to know if there is any way to schedule a timed wakeup from
sleep/suspend mode, like the "Wake the computer to run this job" option
in the Windows XP Scheduled Tasks. I'm using my desktop as a Personal
Video Recorder, and this works very well in Windows XP. Since I'm
running dual-boot with Fedora 7, I was thinking that I might try to
figure out how to do the same thing under Fedora. Is it even possible?

Regards
Ingemar

Old 11-30-2007, 03:47 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Ingemar Nilsson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if there is any way to schedule a timed wakeup from
> sleep/suspend mode, like the "Wake the computer to run this job" option
> in the Windows XP Scheduled Tasks. I'm using my desktop as a Personal
> Video Recorder, and this works very well in Windows XP. Since I'm
> running dual-boot with Fedora 7, I was thinking that I might try to
> figure out how to do the same thing under Fedora. Is it even possible?
>
> Regards
> Ingemar

You will have to do some research, but you can probably do it using
the hardware clock's alarm function. You would have to set the alarm
time, and enable the alarm. I have not played with it, but I suspect
you may be able to do something like write the correct values to
either /proc/driver/rtc or /dev/rtc. On my system, I get this when
reading /proc/driver/rtc:

rtc_time : 16:44:48
rtc_date : 2007-11-30
alrm_time : 11:47:49
alrm_date : ****-**-**
alarm_IRQ : no
alrm_pending : no
24hr : yes
periodic_IRQ : no
update_IRQ : no
DST_enable : no
periodic_freq : 1024
batt_status : okay

acpitool has options for turning on and off wakup devices, but I did
not see the alarm listed as one of the devices.

Mikkel

Old 11-30-2007, 04:00 PM
"Mauriat M"

On Nov 30, 2007 5:39 AM, Ingemar Nilsson <init@kth.se> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if there is any way to schedule a timed wakeup from
> sleep/suspend mode, like the "Wake the computer to run this job" option
> in the Windows XP Scheduled Tasks. I'm using my desktop as a Personal
> Video Recorder, and this works very well in Windows XP. Since I'm
> running dual-boot with Fedora 7, I was thinking that I might try to
> figure out how to do the same thing under Fedora. Is it even possible?

I use nvram-wakeup for my PVR.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/nvram-wakeup

However I do it from complete power-off (my bootup is *really* fast).
I don't know if it will work for ACPI resume, however it's worth a try.

Also, if your motherboard is not on the list, you can run the little
scan app to try to figure out the BIOS values, however it is a bit of
a hassle to run/setup.

-Mauriat

Old 11-30-2007, 08:58 PM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Mauriat M wrote:
> On Nov 30, 2007 5:39 AM, Ingemar Nilsson <init@kth.se> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to know if there is any way to schedule a timed wakeup from
>> sleep/suspend mode, like the "Wake the computer to run this job" option
>> in the Windows XP Scheduled Tasks. I'm using my desktop as a Personal
>> Video Recorder, and this works very well in Windows XP. Since I'm
>> running dual-boot with Fedora 7, I was thinking that I might try to
>> figure out how to do the same thing under Fedora. Is it even possible?
>>

> I use nvram-wakeup for my PVR.
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/nvram-wakeup
>
> However I do it from complete power-off (my bootup is *really* fast).
> I don't know if it will work for ACPI resume, however it's worth a try.
>
> Also, if your motherboard is not on the list, you can run the little
> scan app to try to figure out the BIOS values, however it is a bit of
> a hassle to run/setup.

It looks like a nice package. According to the documentation, it
depends on your BIOS for waking up from suspend. If it doesn't work,
you may be able to hibernate instead of suspend. It takes a bit
longer for the system to come up, but it should be faster then a
cold boot.

Mikkel

Old 11-30-2007, 09:42 PM
John Summerfield

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

Mauriat M wrote:

On Nov 30, 2007 5:39 AM, Ingemar Nilsson <init@kth.se> wrote:

It looks like a nice package. According to the documentation, it
depends on your BIOS for waking up from suspend. If it doesn't work,
you may be able to hibernate instead of suspend. It takes a bit
longer for the system to come up, but it should be faster then a
cold boot.

Not directly relevant to the question, but it could address similar
problems: my ThinkCentre can have three different boot selections:

1. On timed wakeup, it has one order of boot devices
2. On resume from power failure, and has another order of boot devices
3. On ordinary powerup, it has a third.

This would allow, for example, a box to boot Windows by default in
normal startup, but having been shut down at the end of the working day,
it could boot Linux at, oh, 04:00 and back itself up, then shut down again.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait