Old 11-30-2007, 03:02 AM
"Mikkel L. Ellertson"

Default F8 Sound problems

zephod@cfl.rr.com wrote:
> At first, I thought I had no sound at all but If I turn the volume all the way up, I can hear muffled noises.
>
> I found these lines in the messages file:
>
> Nov 29 21:16:50 localhost pulseaudio[2958]: alsa-util.c: Device hw:1 doesn't support 44100 Hz, changed to 48000 Hz.
> Nov 29 21:16:50 localhost pulseaudio[2958]: alsa-util.c: Cannot find mixer control "Master".
> Nov 29 21:16:50 localhost pulseaudio[2958]: alsa-util.c: Cannot find mixer control "Capture".
>
> lspci shows this:
>
> # lspci | grep udio
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
> 01:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 03)
>
> PulseAudio Volume Control shows 2 output devices at 100% volume.
>
> Anybody have any suggestions on how to fix this?
>
> Thanks,
> Steve
>
> PS I tried a suggestion I have seen on this list of deleting the alsa-pulsaudio-plugin package but nothing changed.

You might want to post the output of "aplay -l" so we can see what
sound card(s) alsa is using. From the error messages, it looks like
a couple of the mixer controls are missing. The contents of
/etc/modprobe.conf may also help.

If it is using the Intel sound, you may be able to fix the problem
by specifying a model for the sound card. I have a different model
Intel sound in my laptop, and I need to do that, but I am not sure
about yours. And I am not sure what you wold have to do with the
Sound Blaster...

Mikkel

Old 11-30-2007, 07:40 AM
Mike C

Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel <at> infinity-ltd.com> writes:

> > PS I tried a suggestion I have seen on this list of deleting the
alsa-pulsaudio-plugin package but nothing changed.

The deletion should be
yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio

Old 11-30-2007, 12:41 PM

---- Mike C <mike.cohler@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel <at> infinity-ltd.com> writes:
>

> > > PS I tried a suggestion I have seen on this list of deleting the
> alsa-pulsaudio-plugin package but nothing changed.
>
> The deletion should be
> yum remove alsa-plugins-pulseaudio

Yes, I know. I was going from memory, which for me is usually not a good idea. Nevertheless, it didn't help my sound problem.

Steve

Old 12-01-2007, 11:00 AM
"Abhijit Shylanath"

> At first, I thought I had no sound at all but If I turn the volume all the way up, I can hear muffled noises.
..
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
> 01:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 03)

I have an SBLive! Value and had a similar problem on Linux. Here's an idea:

Double click the volume-control applet in Gnome, File, Change Device,
Select 'Audigy'. Then 'Edit'> 'Preferences' and ensure that Master,
PCM, Wave, Wave Surround are all enabled.

Now try turning all these up to around slightly more than halfway. I
think the EMU10k drivers use the front and rear outputs separately;
they are NOT both driven to master. 'Wave Surround' controls the rear
output, AFAI have experienced. So if your speakers are connected to
the rear port, this might help.

If that doesn't work either, go to 'System', 'Preferences', 'Sound'
and see that the Audigy is selected there (not the Intel, or auto),
like Mikkel suggested.

Old 12-01-2007, 01:58 PM

Hi Abhijit,

---- Abhijit Shylanath <abhijit.shylanath@gmail.com> wrote:
> > At first, I thought I had no sound at all but If I turn the volume all the way up, I can hear muffled noises.
> ..
> > 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 03)
> > 01:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 03)
>
> I have an SBLive! Value and had a similar problem on Linux. Here's an idea:
>
> Double click the volume-control applet in Gnome, File, Change Device,
> Select 'Audigy'. Then 'Edit'> 'Preferences' and ensure that Master,
> PCM, Wave, Wave Surround are all enabled.

Interesting... I don't have a "Wave" or "Wave Surround" option.

> Now try turning all these up to around slightly more than halfway. I
> think the EMU10k drivers use the front and rear outputs separately;
> they are NOT both driven to master. 'Wave Surround' controls the rear
> output, AFAI have experienced. So if your speakers are connected to
> the rear port, this might help.

I have tried enabling everything but the only option that gave my any noticable difference in sound was when I enabled "analog Mix". I could discern a slightly louder background noise.

> If that doesn't work either, go to 'System', 'Preferences', 'Sound'
> and see that the Audigy is selected there (not the Intel, or auto),
> like Mikkel suggested.

I went there and tried all possible combinations - no difference.

Steve.

Old 12-01-2007, 07:48 PM
"Abhijit Shylanath"

> I have tried enabling everything but the only option that gave my any noticable difference in sound was when I enabled "analog Mix". I could discern a slightly louder background noise.

Hm. I'm not really the expert here, but my guess is that it's just a
problem with the mixer using digital output when you have an analog
card. Try toggling "Analog/digital output' in alsamixer. You may have
to use 'alsamixer -c 1' if you have an onboard card. Press F5 to
enable all channels, and then look for that channel. Press m to
toggle. While you're there, you may also want to blindly turn
everything up (so that it's at around and below 75).

Also, I realize now that the Audigy has a different driver from the
Live!, so your outputs will be labelled differently.

Old 12-02-2007, 03:08 PM

---- Abhijit Shylanath <abhijit.shylanath@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have tried enabling everything but the only option that gave my any noticable difference in sound was when I enabled "analog Mix". I could discern a slightly louder background noise.
>
> Hm. I'm not really the expert here, but my guess is that it's just a
> problem with the mixer using digital output when you have an analog
> card. Try toggling "Analog/digital output' in alsamixer.

How do you do that?

> You may have
> to use 'alsamixer -c 1' if you have an onboard card. Press F5 to
> enable all channels, and then look for that channel. Press m to
> toggle. While you're there, you may also want to blindly turn
> everything up (so that it's at around and below 75).

I tried alsamixer -c 1 which gets the built-in Intel sound chip and I tried alsamixer -c 0 which gets my Audigy card. Everything was enabled and the volumes looked good.