Old 08-13-2010, 06:42 AM
Basil Chupin

Default Thunderbird

On 11/08/2010 06:59, Preston Hagar wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Kaushal Shriyan
> <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Are there good notifiers for thunderbird on Ubuntu Linux 10.04
>> desktop,I mean if i click on it i am able to open the message ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Kaushal
>>

> I have searched long and hard for this since my upgrade to Lucid
> (10.04) and subsequent upgrade to Thunderbird 3. I am right now using
> a combination of FireTray:
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/4868/
>
> and Libnotify Popups:
>
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/11530/

[pruned]

Thank you for pointing out the above 2 extensions and their pros/cons.

But I have to ask - simply out of curiosity - why would one need to have
an addon installed for this purpose when it only takes a simple click on
a desktop icon where Thunderbird is running to see if TB has received
new mail for you? Obviously there must be at least one reason otherwise
the addon would not have been written, nor maintained, but what is that
reason?

Is it because by having this addon you can read the mail while you are
using a different application on a different Desktop? If so, doesn't
this overwrite the screen with TB mail?

BC

--
Don't resent getting old - a great many are denied the privelege.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:04 AM
Thomas Yao

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Basil Chupin <blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> On 11/08/2010 06:59, Preston Hagar wrote:
>> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Kaushal Shriyan
>> <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> *wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Are there good notifiers for thunderbird on Ubuntu Linux 10.04
>>> desktop,I mean if i click on it i am able to open the message ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Kaushal
>>>

>> I have searched long and hard for this since my upgrade to Lucid
>> (10.04) and subsequent upgrade to Thunderbird 3. *I am right now using
>> a combination of FireTray:
>>
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/4868/
>>
>> and Libnotify Popups:
>>
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/11530/
>>

> [pruned]
>
> Thank you for pointing out the above 2 extensions and their pros/cons.
>
> But I have to ask - simply out of curiosity - why would one need to have
> an addon installed for this purpose when it only takes a simple click on
> a desktop icon where Thunderbird is running to see if TB has received
> new mail for you? Obviously there must be at least one reason otherwise
> the addon would not have been written, nor maintained, but what is that
> reason?
>
> Is it because by having this addon you can read the mail while you are
> using a different application on a different Desktop? If so, doesn't
> this overwrite the screen with TB mail?
>
> BC
>
> --
> Don't resent getting old - a great many are denied the privelege.

Just add an add-on called "minimizetoTray plus" and it works well

--
@ghosTM55
Mechanism, not policy

Old 08-13-2010, 07:21 AM
Dirk Freitag

On 08/13/2010 03:04 AM, Thomas Yao wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 2:42 PM, Basil Chupin<blchupin@iinet.net.au> wrote:
>> On 11/08/2010 06:59, Preston Hagar wrote:

>>> I have searched long and hard for this since my upgrade to Lucid
>>> (10.04) and subsequent upgrade to Thunderbird 3. I am right now using
>>> a combination of FireTray:
>>>
>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/4868/
>>>
>>> and Libnotify Popups:
>>>
>>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/11530/
>>>

>> [pruned]
>>
>> Thank you for pointing out the above 2 extensions and their pros/cons.
>>
>> But I have to ask - simply out of curiosity - why would one need to have
>> an addon installed for this purpose when it only takes a simple click on
>> a desktop icon where Thunderbird is running to see if TB has received
>> new mail for you? Obviously there must be at least one reason otherwise
>> the addon would not have been written, nor maintained, but what is that
>> reason?
>>
>> Is it because by having this addon you can read the mail while you are
>> using a different application on a different Desktop? If so, doesn't
>> this overwrite the screen with TB mail?
>>
>> BC
>>
>> --
>> Don't resent getting old - a great many are denied the privelege.
>>

>> --
>>

> Just add an add-on called "minimizetoTray plus" and it works well

Just did this for my netbook to get back into the ubuntu email list.
minimize to tray is nice.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:32 AM
Basil Chupin

On 13/08/2010 17:21, Dirk Freitag wrote:
> On 08/13/2010 03:04 AM, Thomas Yao wrote:

>>> [pruned]
>>>
>>> Thank you for pointing out the above 2 extensions and their pros/cons.
>>>
>>> But I have to ask - simply out of curiosity - why would one need to have
>>> an addon installed for this purpose when it only takes a simple click on
>>> a desktop icon where Thunderbird is running to see if TB has received
>>> new mail for you? Obviously there must be at least one reason otherwise
>>> the addon would not have been written, nor maintained, but what is that
>>> reason?
>>>
>>> Is it because by having this addon you can read the mail while you are
>>> using a different application on a different Desktop? If so, doesn't
>>> this overwrite the screen with TB mail?
>>>
>>> BC
>>>
>>> --
>>> Don't resent getting old - a great many are denied the privelege.
>>>

>>> --
>>>

>> Just add an add-on called "minimizetoTray plus" and it works well
>>

> Just did this for my netbook to get back into the ubuntu email list.
> minimize to tray is nice.

But this, nor Thomas Yao's post, answers my question.

BC

--
Don't resent getting old - a great many are denied the privelege.

Old 08-13-2010, 07:39 AM
Dirk Freitag

On 08/13/2010 03:32 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 13/08/2010 17:21, Dirk Freitag wrote:

>>> Just add an add-on called "minimizetoTray plus" and it works well
>>>

>> Just did this for my netbook to get back into the ubuntu email list.
>> minimize to tray is nice.
>>
> But this, nor Thomas Yao's post, answers my question.
>
> BC

Well, are you looking for a better notifier than the one thunderbird
comes with? Because if you minimize thunderbird, it will notify you
when an email comes in and you can click on the title to open the message.

So are you looking for a prettier version of this, or are you just
trying to get rid of the thunderbird taskbar when minimized?

Old 08-13-2010, 07:51 AM
Basil Chupin

On 13/08/2010 17:39, Dirk Freitag wrote:
> On 08/13/2010 03:32 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:

>>> Just did this for my netbook to get back into the ubuntu email list.
>>> minimize to tray is nice.
>>>
>> But this, nor Thomas Yao's post, answers my question.
>>
>> BC
>>

> Well, are you looking for a better notifier than the one thunderbird
> comes with? Because if you minimize thunderbird, it will notify you
> when an email comes in and you can click on the title to open the
> message.
>

> So are you looking for a prettier version of this, or are you just
> trying to get rid of the thunderbird taskbar when minimized?

You haven't been following this thread it would seem.

I am not looking for any notifier, or any addon to do with anything to
do with a notifier. The OP asked some question about such a notifier,
got some responses; I asked a question, and in which you are now
involved, and got yourself quagmired in :-) .

All I asked is what is shown in the posts to which you are now
responding to (above) :-) .

BC

--
Don't resent getting old - a great many are denied the privelege.

Old 08-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Karl Larsen

On 08/13/2010 12:42 AM, Basil Chupin wrote:
> On 11/08/2010 06:59, Preston Hagar wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 8:39 AM, Kaushal Shriyan
>> <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Are there good notifiers for thunderbird on Ubuntu Linux 10.04
>>> desktop,I mean if i click on it i am able to open the message ?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Kaushal
>>>

>> I have searched long and hard for this since my upgrade to Lucid
>> (10.04) and subsequent upgrade to Thunderbird 3. I am right now using
>> a combination of FireTray:
>>
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/4868/
>>
>> and Libnotify Popups:
>>
>> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/11530/
>>

> [pruned]
>
> Thank you for pointing out the above 2 extensions and their pros/cons.
>
> But I have to ask - simply out of curiosity - why would one need to have
> an addon installed for this purpose when it only takes a simple click on
> a desktop icon where Thunderbird is running to see if TB has received
> new mail for you? Obviously there must be at least one reason otherwise
> the addon would not have been written, nor maintained, but what is that
> reason?
>
> Is it because by having this addon you can read the mail while you are
> using a different application on a different Desktop? If so, doesn't
> this overwrite the screen with TB mail?
>
> BC

I am using Thunderbird 3.0.6 daily and have never understood
the problem this person is having. I have no such problem. Thunderbird
works just as it has with tiny upgrades every new version for 10 years.

73 Karl

--

Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
Linux User

Old 08-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 13 August 2010 12:52, Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
> * * * * I am using Thunderbird 3.0.6 daily and have never understood
> the problem this person is having. I have no such problem. Thunderbird
> works just as it has with tiny upgrades every new version for 10 years.
Since version 1.0 was released in 2004, that's an excellent feat!

This proves it. Karl Larsen is a time travelling alien!

Old 08-13-2010, 12:44 PM
Basil Chupin

On 13/08/2010 22:23, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:
> On 13 August 2010 12:52, Karl Larsen<klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I am using Thunderbird 3.0.6 daily and have never understood
>> the problem this person is having. I have no such problem. Thunderbird
>> works just as it has with tiny upgrades every new version for 10 years.
>>
> Since version 1.0 was released in 2004, that's an excellent feat!
>
> This proves it. Karl Larsen is a time travelling alien!

Check your history and facts.

Thunderbird and Firefox started life as *Netscape* back in 1994.

So, as far as I am concerned, I have been using Thunderbird and Firefox
since 1994.

BC

--
Don't resent getting old - a great many are denied the privelege.

Old 08-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Robert Spanjaard

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010 13:23:05 +0100, Hakan Koseoglu wrote:

> On 13 August 2010 12:52, Karl Larsen <klarsen1@gmail.com> wrote:
>> * * * * I am using Thunderbird 3.0.6 daily and have never understood
>> the problem this person is having. I have no such problem. Thunderbird
>> works just as it has with tiny upgrades every new version for 10 years.
>
> Since version 1.0 was released in 2004, that's an excellent feat!
>
> This proves it. Karl Larsen is a time travelling alien!

That's the first _separate_ version of Thunderbird.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Mozilla_Application_Suite

--
Regards, Robert http://www.arumes.com